Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife & I played this afternoon, we were tight the whole game scorwise and then I filled my fifth order and then proceeded to do end game round then scoring. We were pretty close before we scored the starting order card and when we did she got 30-14=16 pts and I got 30-5=25pts because none of my produce had dice on the correlating cities. I crushed her for and score but all because by chance she got the starting order card where she had to deduct more points than me, not a strategic move, just dumb luck of the draw.

Have any of you found a way to mitigate that or do you think that's just fine to keep it that way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was already mitigated. She lost 14'points on the starting order card because she earned them through sales. You only lost 5 points because you earned so few points on the sales side. In the end you both earned 30 points with some of them coming in game and some coming at the end of the game when cards were revealed.

I think the starting order cards were created this way to avoid the problem that someone who had a starting order card with high value goods would have a huge advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
I thought it was already mitigated. She lost 14'points on the starting order card because she earned them through sales. You only lost 5 points because you earned so few points on the sales side. In the end you both earned 30 points with some of them coming in game and some coming at the end of the game when cards were revealed.

I think the starting order cards were created this way to avoid the problem that someone who had a starting order card with high value goods would have a huge advantage.

Didn't think of it this way, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
Gaming with the family :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is it fair as Joe explained but I find it keeps end game scoring interesting since a player who is ahead before end game scoring might be so because their starting order goods sold for higher values upfront but will give them less points at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, now that he explained that to me I can totally see how it's fair at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lukac
United States
McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I think Mark that we weren't quite having it in the right reference frame when it came to final scoring. Also the starting order card I think is kept secret and does not count toward the five needed to end the game. Going to GASP Saturday? Love to get this one to table again if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules say, "Shuffle the Starting Orders and randomly deal one to each player, face down. The Starting Order card remains secret until the end of the game."

The game-end conditions are based on Produce Order cards, which are different from Starting Order cards (which thus do not trigger game end).

The balanced nature of Starting Orders was discussed here: Starting Orders: Is There Something Interesting Here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.