$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Daniel T.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How brutal/difficult is the game compared to other Lovecraftian games like Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror.
For me it would be very tempting to get another game which is cruel on investigators. devil

If Arkham's difficulty is 10/10 and Eldritch is 8/10 (IMO), how cruel is MoM 2e?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have won 1 out of 5 games (2 investigators for all). Played all scenarios, and only beat the EASIEST with 3 investigators.

I don't know that I'd say Arkham is harder than Eldritch personally, but I would say that (at least with 2 investigators) MoM 2E is an 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one 2-player game of 2e, but it was definitely nail-biting, and that was only managing the "neutral" ending.

The fact that there is Good, Neutral, and Lose definitely helps. It makes a bad twist seem less unfair because you don't just get totally screwed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest scenario we beat with ease on our very first playthrough. It was almost too easy in our opinion: difficulty 5/10.

Havent played the other scenarios yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
The easiest scenario we beat with ease on our very first playthrough. It was almost too easy in our opinion: difficulty 5/10.

I played the first scenario solo and lost, after a very tense game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Vardaine wrote:

I played the first scenario solo and lost, after a very tense game.

So did I. At one point near the end I rolled 5 blank dice. There is quite a large amount of luck involved so i would say everyone's experience of difficulty would differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
The first mission was well balanced IMHO and we managed to win. Was very cutthroat experience. It's different compared to Arkansas horror. The latter is difficult, and cruel, but without any pattern. You feel like you are at grasp of. Random activity and hopeless. And IMHO to win is very hard. Actually I've never won a game at ah. Mom 2e is more linear in the mean that you feel there is something developing. You are in a plot and not going random. And because of that I feel is easier and more fun. The monster also is killable you can perform 2 attack per turn for example using 5 dice per strength rating and you sum the success to your weapon strength. The ghost is killable too, in fact my friend used to ah, run from the ghost for 2 turn before realizing he could hit it with physical object.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest K
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
So far this has been our outcomes:

2 players, 1st scenario: We lost right at the end.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We didn't save the butler, the ritual completed, and we couldn't close the portal before getting killed by monsters

4 players, 1st scenario: We beat it with relative ease, although it was getting close.
We saved the butler, but didn't prevent the ritual, it was close as the mansion fell apart around us and the Star Spawn got near but we managed to close the portal after a few rounds

4 players, Innskeep (2nd scenario): We lost after an extended amount of time.
One player wandered off solo and went insane and wounded, we couldn't escape the mobs and just had a rough time in general. Map knowledge will help on the second playthrough...assuming it doesn't change too much on us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Lindström
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two games:

1st Scenario (Cycle of Eternity, ** difficulty) with 2 investigator, somewhat tight (but not too) win. One of the investigators was wounded and the other was insane.

In the first scenario we felt hurried and the clock was probably close to be running out.

3rd Scenario (Shattered Bonds, ***** difficulty) with 5 investigators, quite an easy win. 2 Investigators were insane, but not yet close to being eliminated.

In this scenario I have no clue about if there was some kind of clock going to run out. Here we definitely took our time and searched 95% of the stuff to find everything that could help. The win felt easy even though we did some very stupid mistakes early in the scenario.

For me, it felt the game is much easier when there are more investigators. I base this on that the 3rd Scenario was supposed to be the "hardest" of the scenarios, but felt easier with 5 investigaters than the first with 2.

Based on these two games I would estimate this is easier than Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kijoe wrote:
I've played two games:

1st Scenario (Cycle of Eternity, ** difficulty) with 2 investigator, somewhat tight (but not too) win. One of the investigators was wounded and the other was insane.

In the first scenario we felt hurried and the clock was probably close to be running out.

3rd Scenario (Shattered Bonds, ***** difficulty) with 5 investigators, quite an easy win. 2 Investigators were insane, but not yet close to being eliminated.

In this scenario I have no clue about if there was some kind of clock going to run out. Here we definitely took our time and searched 95% of the stuff to find everything that could help. The win felt easy even though we did some very stupid mistakes early in the scenario.

For me, it felt the game is much easier when there are more investigators. I base this on that the 3rd Scenario was supposed to be the "hardest" of the scenarios, but felt easier with 5 investigaters than the first with 2.

Based on these two games I would estimate this is easier than Arkham Horror.

This is sort of my experience as well, but seeing as how I likely won't be playing with more than 3 players very often, I rate it as harder than AH. 2 investigator games are really brutal imo. Every time, I feel like we're just getting swarmed. With a few failed rolls, it is very hard to keep the monsters at bay and still have time to spend actions investigating.

We could try to use 2 investigators each, but I'm not sure I want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
As a baseline across scenarios:
With 2 investigators unforgiving 8-9/10 for difficulty
With 5 investigators doable 5/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.