$30.00
Garbage Person
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a bunch of small box games we were practically giving away this time last year! 2 are crappy, 1 is ok, and 1 you already own 7 other versions of. Oh, but to make it more impressive, we added 3 more small boxes! They are completely empty, but whatevs. Not good enough? Ok, here is a little bigger empty box, and all of that comes in a box too! Great, yeah?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like every other Boxing Day, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
What were the games in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garbage Person
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:

Love Letter.
Say Adios to the Bad Guys. (reimplementation of Say Bye to the Villains)
Eight Epics
Royalty and ...something. A two player game in a white box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I got nice demos of some of their games, I don't think the swag box was worth the $32. And it's definitely not worth the $40 they were selling it for the next day at the booth. Between the dropping of Doomtown and this, I see AEG quickly dropping off my game radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jaros
msg tools
Considering they let people without tickets demo games, after the first hour, it certainly wasn't worth the money. I believe I have gone to every one of their Big Game Nights, but that will change if they offer it again, as I have no intention of going back after this fiasco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garbage Person
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokeAssJedi wrote:
Considering they let people without tickets demo games, after the first hour, it certainly wasn't worth the money. I believe I have gone to every one of their Big Game Nights, but that will change if they offer it again, as I have no intention of going back after this fiasco.

Yes, I'm sad to say that what has been a staple of Gen Con for several years is now a solid "pass" from me.

On the upside, it frees up Friday Night for some different gaming. AEG's releases have been pretty weak the last few years anyway, there is typically only one game I'm looking to play there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Love Letter.
Eight Epics

The theme this year was to give something unique, and of course to highlight Senji. How many times have you gone, bought the hot new game, then found another copy of it in the big box? This year you got:

A large size Kanai version of Love Letter - Not only is this version the most sought after version that isn't still in print, but this was a larger premium version.

Say Adios to the Bad Guys - Granted, a reskin, but a decent looking reskin of a great game.

Eight Epics - To be fair, this was not supposed to be available to purchase at the booth, but in addition, the version in the box is a Kanai version that, to my knowledge, will not be released anywhere else.

Regality and Religion - A 2 player version of what later expanded into Regality vs. Religion: Revolution. I believe this is the first (and only) time this has been printed in English.

So one unique game, one unique version, one premium version, and one reskin. Each by themselves would retail for $10 or $20, so retail you got your money's worth, and the storage options aren't bad, tailor made to fit a lot of their small-box games. (Personally, I like this because they hide on my bookshelves so the larger box makes a better fit.) There was a lot of work that went into this box.

FWIW, I was surprised that the Game Night became open gaming after the first hour, but those people also were not able to get into the raffles either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garbage Person
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Love Letter.
Eight Epics

The theme this year was to give something unique, and of course to highlight Senji. How many times have you gone, bought the hot new game, then found another copy of it in the big box? This year you got:

A large size Kanai version of Love Letter - Not only is this version the most sought after version that isn't still in print, but this was a larger premium version.

Say Adios to the Bad Guys - Granted, a reskin, but a decent looking reskin of a great game.

Eight Epics - To be fair, this was not supposed to be available to purchase at the booth, but in addition, the version in the box is a Kanai version that, to my knowledge, will not be released anywhere else.

Regality and Religion - A 2 player version of what later expanded into Regality vs. Religion: Revolution. I believe this is the first (and only) time this has been printed in English.

So one unique game, one unique version, one premium version, and one reskin. Each by themselves would retail for $10 or $20, so retail you got your money's worth, and the storage options aren't bad, tailor made to fit a lot of their small-box games. (Personally, I like this because they hide on my bookshelves so the larger box makes a better fit.) There was a lot of work that went into this box.

FWIW, I was surprised that the Game Night became open gaming after the first hour, but those people also were not able to get into the raffles either.

You can shine a turd all you like, but you'll never convince me it isn't still a turd.

And I can't take seriously any comment that makes the claim that Say Goodbye to the Villains is a great game, that any version of love letter is some unique collectible, or that a lot of work went into an empty box.

I actually never bought a hot new game and then got it in the box, but in prior years they were letting people actually swap some things at the booth if they got a duplicate. Wasn't advertised, but it happened. And frankly, something decent that I didn't want but could at least sell would have been a big improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the Game Night box intended to be some "nice extra swag"? I mean, if you're already buying all the AEG stuff, it's not surprising if the re-skins or "original Sugiura art" versions feel bland…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
lonadar wrote:

The theme this year was to give something unique, and of course to highlight Senji. How many times have you gone, bought the hot new game, then found another copy of it in the big box?

I actually never bought a hot new game and then got it in the box, but in prior years they were letting people actually swap some things at the booth if they got a duplicate. Wasn't advertised, but it happened. And frankly, something decent that I didn't want but could at least sell would have been a big improvement.

This is never guaranteed and has only been approved when the product was sold out (such as Smash Up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takeshi
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
lonadar wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Love Letter.
Eight Epics

You can shine a turd all you like, but you'll never convince me it isn't still a turd.

Who cares about convincing you?

They can't please everyone, and some customers will not be happy regardless. I can't speak to whether it was worth it or not, but there's generally a risk involved with these "swag" boxes since you don't know what you're getting in advance.

It's easy to say you didn't like the box contents. It's harder to say that they knowingly included junk to trick customers into buying the box or attending the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garbage Person
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
lonadar wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
killerardvark wrote:

Love Letter.
Eight Epics

Apparently that person who tried to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
contiguity wrote:

Apparently that person who tried to.

Meh, I just wanted to provide a different perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.