Subject: Variant - Trading for Food at the End of the Round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mb
I just thought of this really minor change.
So normally you can cash in each resource for one food at the feeding phase, but how about being able to do that only if another player is actually willing to trade with you? If somebody is willing to pay you more food for one resource then you could make a deal with them.

(e.g.: "I'll give you 3 food if you give me that one stone instead of the wood" - or something along those lines, players would be allowed to outbid each other)

Of course, this is not something that would come up a lot of times in a game, but still I think it would be more thematic than 'eating clay for the heck of it'.

Does this sound alright for any of you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be interesting for sure... however, I think you'd have to allow the standard rule of using resources (to the bank) to feed in case no other player is willing to trade, because otherwise the starving player is forced to lose 10 points which could really hurt if it happens several times. If the other players are being mean (whatever their reasons for doing so), losing 10 points round after round could be hard, forcing all players to effectively send at least some workers to hunt just so they don't run out of food.

Stone Age works quite well on a 'starvation' strategy, I feel - and it's a legitimate way to play the game. I rarely send any workers to hunt after about round 3 - I rely on having pushed up the agriculture track, and gathering as much wood as possible (as it's useful to buy cards *and* can be used to feed the clan in emergencies). I'll even sometimes take the 10 point penalty once or twice a game, but never more than that. Stockpiling food seems a waste if you can stockpile wood instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mb
Isn't the starvation strategy considered as a flaw of the game by many? In a way this would 'fix' that to some extent if you do not allow the player to use the resources as food as normally.

Honestly, we never actually tried that strategy, so I don't know if it works even if you can't 'eat' resources, but at least with this variant, the other players would get some benefit from your starvation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mohasz wrote:
Isn't the starvation strategy considered as a flaw of the game by many? In a way this would 'fix' that to some extent if you do not allow the player to use the resources as food as normally.

Honestly, we never actually tried that strategy, so I don't know if it works even if you can't 'eat' resources, but at least with this variant, the other players would get some benefit from your starvation as well.

This would actually encourage the starvation strategy since this variant makes it more difficult to feed your people. No one else would benefit since a starvation player has no need of food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mb
Tyndal wrote:
This would actually encourage the starvation strategy since this variant makes it more difficult to feed your people. No one else would benefit since a starvation player has no need of food.

You might be right... then maybe make the player lose a meeple when starving?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.