Subject: Bruce Catton on For The People rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Smith
Zimbabwe
Harare
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I played a lot of VG's Civil War back in the day and have recently become intrigued by For the People and GMT's new US Civil War. I've looked through the US Civil War rules and have just started to learn For the People on Vassal.

All this got me fired up again on the history of the period and I have started to re-read Bruce Catton, starting with This Hallowed Ground. On page 339 I came across the following quote which could have been written about For the People - and just shows what a great job Mark Herman has done:

"Yet the war was turning into something that no one battle or campaign could settle. It was no longer a mere matter of armies; it was turning into the first of the great modern wars, releasing unsuspected energies even as it brought infinite destruction, and its proper target now was not so much the opposing armies in the field as the will to resist, the capacity to keep on struggling for survival, in the hearts of the people themselves."

It seems to me that For the People with its Strategic Will rules is the only one of these three great games to get this vital aspect of the war absolutely right.

Rick
In Zimbabwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick wrote:
I played a lot of VG's Civil War back in the day and have recently become intrigued by For the People and GMT's new US Civil War. I've looked through the US Civil War rules and have just started to learn For the People on Vassal.

All this got me fired up again on the history of the period and I have started to re-read Bruce Catton, starting with This Hallowed Ground. On page 339 I came across the following quote which could have been written about For the People - and just shows what a great job Mark Herman has done:

"Yet the war was turning into something that no one battle or campaign could settle. It was no longer a mere matter of armies; it was turning into the first of the great modern wars, releasing unsuspected energies even as it brought infinite destruction, and its proper target now was not so much the opposing armies in the field as the will to resist, the capacity to keep on struggling for survival, in the hearts of the people themselves."

It seems to me that For the People with its Strategic Will rules is the only one of these three great games to get this vital aspect of the war absolutely right.

Rick
In Zimbabwe

Thanks for noticing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.