Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi,

I put a post up just asking if anyone had used a site to assist with their giveaways and it got deleted with.... "do not promote in the forums".

Message below:

BoardGameGeek wrote:
The post titled: 'Re: Crowdfunding Announcements thread (Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc)' has been deleted from the forums.

Please do not promote in the forums.

Thanks!

--- This message was auto-generated - do not reply ---
A Geek Forum Moderator

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
Mail sent to this account is not read.
If you are trying to reach a particular user, please write to them directly.
Boardgamegeek Admins: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Admins

I am confused.com (damn just promoted!). Now isn't the Kickstarter thread about promoting? From what I can see it certain is bombarded with it. My question was exactly that - a qustion - not promoting anything but asking if anyone tried a site before. How can that contrive as promoting?

Now if the admin is stating do not promote in the forums, sorry but it is littered with promoting. Not that I care about the thread being deletd, I don't, I care about fairness and non contradicting outcomes.

What are your thoughts?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the English dictionery is certainly clear.

"1 promote something to help something to happen..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think they (admins) stated it backwards. The thread you posted in is only for Kickstarter and other crowding funding announcements. You asked for a recommendation on something completely unrelated and therefore off topic to the thread.

Just my guess on why your post was deleted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pone4games wrote:
Actually I think they (admins) stated it backwards. The thread you posted in is only for Kickstarter and other crowding funding announcements. You asked for a recommendation on something completely unrelated and therefore off topic to the thread.

Not exactly clear by admin then is it?

It wasn't completely unrelated. It was to do with Kickstarter camapaigns, where the site claims to assist people with their giveaways to get them shipped out etc. Where else would I post that on the forums?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayProducer wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

It wasn't completely unrelated. It was to do with Kickstarter camapaigns, where the site claims to assist people with their giveaways to get them shipped out etc. Where else would I post that on the forums?

If you want to run a contest or giveaway you need to geek mail;
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb

Most contests/promotions that are not approved by the admin are deleted rather quickly. There may be some exceptions, but Chaddyboy would be better equipped to answer any specific questions.

I subscribe to the Kickstarter announcement thread and I have seen off-topic posts deleted in the past, hence my guess why yours was removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pone4games wrote:
JayProducer wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb

Most contests/promotions that are not approved by the admin are deleted rather quickly. There may be some exceptions, but Chaddyboy would be better equipped to answer any specific questions.

I subscribe to the Kickstarter announcement thread and I have seen off-topic posts deleted in the past, hence my guess why yours was removed.

Its not my site and I wasnt running anything. I was only asking if anyone used the site, I wasnt promoting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayProducer wrote:
Pone4games wrote:
JayProducer wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb

Its not my site and I wasnt running anything. I was only asking if anyone used the site, I wasnt promoting it.

Apologies for not being very helpful. I do not remember the exact wording of your deleted post, other than you asking for a recommendation of some sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pone4games wrote:
JayProducer wrote:
Pone4games wrote:
JayProducer wrote:
Pone4games wrote:

Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb

Apologies for not being very helpful. I do not remember the exact wording of your deleted post, other than you asking for a recommendation of some sort.

No need to apologise. The info you gave is really helpful to know. I should have said thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayProducer wrote:
Message below:

BoardGameGeek wrote:
The post titled: 'Re: Crowdfunding Announcements thread (Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc)' has been deleted from the forums.

An announcement thread is for announcements only. When you hold a discussion in an announcement thread it wastes the time of everyone subscribed to it, which could be thousands of users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tall_Walt wrote:
JayProducer wrote:
Message below:

BoardGameGeek wrote:

An announcement thread is for announcements only. When you hold a discussion in an announcement thread it wastes the time of everyone subscribed to it, which could be thousands of users.

Makes more sense. However there are some discussion on that thread, so inconsistencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm shocked--shocked!--to find inconsistencies on BGG. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, if the post *was* deleted because it wasn't an "announcement" in an announcement thread; wouldn't the message from the admin have said as much (as compared to something like, "don't promote in the forums")?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've thought this for a long time actually. The messages from the Admins always seem a bit abrupt and curt which could be seen as rude in some countries where more floral language is usual (not that I've had any of these messages personally mind, I've just seen what others have posted). In some cases, they could be made more helpful by adding links to the rules and regulations as well.

Since (I assume) these are from templates, perhaps a small working party could get together and improve them a little? If they aren't from a template, maybe a group could provide some?

Just a thought; the Admins have a horrid job, so if we could help them it would be nice to do so.

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they're HR people in their day jobs (ever get a rejection letter from a job you've applied to)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Maybe they're HR people in their day jobs (ever get a rejection letter from a job you've applied to)?

Thank you for your interest in contributing to this thread. As you know, BGG receives thousands of excellent replies every day. After reviewing your content, I have determined that your reply does not qualify for GeekGold at this time. I wish you the best in your future posting endeavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Lemur wrote:

Thank you for your interest in contributing to this thread. As you know, BGG receives thousands of excellent replies every day. After reviewing your content, I have determined that your reply does not qualify for GeekGold at this time. I wish you the best in your future posting endeavors.

Good - but not the best I've ever gotten.

I did once get one that came from an online card site (like 123greetings -- that sort of thing). When you clicked to open it, it simply read, "Sorry you didn't get the job!"

Scarily - someone ... who DID have a job ... thought that was a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.