Popular Tags: [View All]
François Deslauriers
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

When we fight Ironman (mastermind) when he fortifies a city space, does he returns on the Mastermind spot on the mat or does he stay on this city space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that he remains where he is, since otherwise it would have said so on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Deslauriers
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it says in the rules Under the Fortify keyword:

«Any player can fight that Villain as normal to END THAT FORTIFY EFFECT...»

I don't know if it's affect only the Villains. But since Ironman is «Fortifying» a city space... I think this apply to him. If not, when the 5th Master strike comes up, Ironman is Fortifying que Sewers and it's quite impossible to hit him again... Especially when playing with two players and with the Mandroids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deslaure wrote:

I don't know if it's affect only the Villains. But since Ironman is «Fortifying» a city space... I think this apply to him. If not, when the 5th Master strike comes up, Ironman is Fortifying que Sewers and it's quite impossible to hit him again... Especially when playing with two players and with the Mandroids...

We played with Iron Man today, and completely misunderstood him... We had him fortifying each City space in succession instead of one at a time!

Anyway, your idea works for me, since it goes along with the rules and we don't get into a situation where he is constantly being blocked by a new villain every turn. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deslaure wrote:

The kicker though is that he isn't a Villain, he is a Mastermind.

deslaure wrote:

I wouldn't say "impossible", but quite difficult. If you can generate enough Attack, you can hit the Villain in the Sewers AND Iron Man. You could also get lucky and have a Bystander or Scheme Twist so there wouldn't be a Villain and you could hit him again the next turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked the same question elsewhere and not had a clear answer yet. It is a bit ambiguous as the rules only describe what to do regarding Villains with Fortify effects and a Mastermind is not a Villain.

They also don't say anything about what to do with Heroes who have Fortify effects, but eg for Luke Cage, there is a clear explanation on the card of how the effect ends.

I think I would go along with the consensus that he stays where he is since it does not say to do otherwise (and moving him would nerf some of his tactics).

I remain confused about what to do if more than 5 master strikes occur within a game.

Probably just leave him in the Sewers as that's the toughest position?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M.

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrellArcher wrote:
We played with Iron Man today, and completely misunderstood him... We had him fortifying each City space in succession instead of one at a time!

We did the same thing, needless to say but we lost that game badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Like others, I played Iron Man where he advanced through the City Spaces. Five Master strikes and he ends up in the sewers. Playing solo with 10 instead of just 3 henchmen, I *almost* won, but lost when I pulled s scheme twist and ran out of the Hero deck.

So much brutal fun. I loved it. Can't wait to get it back on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Finley
United States
Mukwonago
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
darthtwztyd wrote:
TyrellArcher wrote:

We did the same thing, needless to say but we lost that game badly.

My group did the same. And to cap it off, we were also using the new "Imprison Unregistered Superhumans" Scheme. So it was doubly impossible. By midway through the game, ALL spaces were granting +4 to the villains. I KNEW something was up!

I'm also still confused. In that scheme and here, when you "beat" the villain/mastermind in that space, does the fortification end? Or does Iron Man slowly make each space really hard to beat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
I have to admit that I'm being clueless about this scheme.

When a scheme twist comes out, Iron Man goes into the city on the bridge? What happens if there is a villain there? When he's in the sewers, what happens when villains are drawn at the start of each turn.

I clearly don't understand the rule or how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Gilbert
msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
deslaure wrote:

The kicker though is that he isn't a Villain, he is a Mastermind.

deslaure wrote:

I wouldn't say "impossible", but quite difficult. If you can generate enough Attack, you can hit the Villain in the Sewers AND Iron Man. You could also get lucky and have a Bystander or Scheme Twist so there wouldn't be a Villain and you could hit him again the next turn!

I played where Iron Man stayed even after we fought him. The remove a fortify rule makes sense since you actively defeated the villain, so you would remove Iron Man once you fully defeat him and win the game.

Also it makes me think of King Hyperion and how if he is in the city he goes back and doesn't lose the tactic. Iron Man still loses his tactics when fought, and he isn't actually in the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but we played with Iron Man last night for the first time and had the same question... but then as we continued to play it sort of made sense how to play him.

Our initial instinct was to send Iron Man back to the Mastermind space, but then as the Mastermind Tactics were revealed, several of them required adding Villains to the same space Iron Man was currently fortifying. If we moved him back to the Mastermind space, then he is no longer fortifying anything... ergo, he needs to stay where he is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The way I played it was he never moves from his Mastermind spot and the master strike cards were doing the fortifying until they filled up the city like galactus master strikes and couldn't be removed once they were there but now I'm not so sure after reading this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that is correct .

Since it says that he is fortifying, it means that his mastermind card is moving through the city. He starts in the city space closest to him, and advances through the city to the villain deck. By the end of the game, he will be more difficult to beat, since there will almost always be a villain underneath him that you will have to defeat. For all intents and purposes, I think this is how he was meant to be played, and I think it's a brilliant - brilliant design. Very creative and very interesting usage of the fortifying keyword!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I'm playing it, as well. The other night he ended up moving through empty city spaces, since I was defeating every villain coming off the deck. Still lost, though

If I had had enough attack to defeat a mastermind, his representative card would stay where it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.