Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A record breaking BGG rating of 9.6. More than a full point higher than any other game on the top rated games list.

Pandemic: Legacy, Twilight Struggle, Terra Mystica, Puerto Rico, all garbage in comparison. 10 of the 18 ratings posted are perfect tens. It's surprising everyone on BGG doesn't already own this amazing game!

Is it the greatest game or the greatest game ever?

Oh what's that, it's not even been released yet..?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, some people have at least demoed the game at Gencon. So hopefully at least some of the ratings are based on play experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I personally don't rate games until I've played them, and then I adjust those ratings as I play more.

I'm confused as to how the ratings of other people on BGG affects anyone other than the rater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's pretty silly. This comment made me laugh

Quote:
This just looks like a re-skinned LotR LCG.... Would have been great to have had all new system with different mechanics to justify purchase. Anyone else remember when FFG would make STAND ALONE. games?? Not going to buy into a LotR LCG clone/mass-market money sink where you HAVE to buy 2x Core Sets., and I bet the majority of the card art will just be re-cycled from the AH boardgame *yawn*

Collections: Want to Buy, Want to Play, Preordered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
I'm confused as to how the ratings of other people on BGG affects anyone other than the rater.

I use it in the same way I use aggregate cinema sites like metacritic. To get a quick (and admittedly shallow) gauge of if a game is worth looking at closer. But like everything else, its just one tool in the old-toolbox and only becomes useful if there are hundreds of ratings to weed out the outliers, comments to back up the ratings, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
jmathias wrote:

I use it in the same way I use aggregate cinema sites like metacritic. To get a quick (and admittedly shallow) gauge of if a game is worth looking at closer. But like everything else, its just one tool in the old-toolbox and only becomes useful if there are hundreds of ratings to weed out the outliers, comments to back up the ratings, etc.

Oh, I understand how they can be a useful tool for determining if a game deserves more research, I do that myself. Though I just pay attention to ratings with comments, and I find the middle of the road 4-7 ratings to be the most helpful.

I just don't understand why people get irritated with the way people rate things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
I just don't understand why people get irritated with the way people rate things.

Ah, I misunderstood.

I like to rate things with a keyboard or mobile.

Wait... I feel I've misunderstood again.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rated it a 10 as an expression of my enthusiasm. After I play it, my rating could change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty silly. This comment made me laugh

Quote:
This just looks like a re-skinned LotR LCG.... Would have been great to have had all new system with different mechanics to justify purchase. Anyone else remember when FFG would make STAND ALONE. games?? Not going to buy into a LotR LCG clone/mass-market money sink where you HAVE to buy 2x Core Sets., and I bet the majority of the card art will just be re-cycled from the AH boardgame *yawn*

Collections: Want to Buy, Want to Play, Preordered

I hope I'm right about this but by the sounds of it you won't have to buy 2 core sets with Arkham. It looks like you start with a deck and buy more cards to add to it in game as the campaign advances. Funny quote too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Noahboa wrote:
I rated it a 10 as an expression of my enthusiasm. After I play it, my rating could change.
If everyone chose to rate games simply to reflect initial enthusiasm then ratings would be a worthless exercise.

Makes me wish BGG would create an "Anticipation Index" where enthusiastic early adopters could go to express their enthusiasm without poisoning the (already creaky & rickety) ratings system. Something like "CLICK THIS BOX IF YOU CAN'T WAIT FOR GAME-X TO BE RELEASED!"

BUT... we've had this discussion a thousand times on BGG and nothing changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Makes me wish BGG would create an "Anticipation Index" where enthusiastic early adopters could go to express their enthusiasm without poisoning the (already creaky & rickety) ratings system. Something like "CLICK THIS BOX IF YOU CAN'T WAIT FOR GAME-X TO BE RELEASED!"

They kind of do, with the 'Become A Fan' thing, but its not really front and center so its (1) not discoverable and (2) doesn't broadcast your Anticipation to the far corners of the .... forum ?

And now I have Tim Curry in my head, shivering with anticipation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
And now I have Tim Curry in my head, shivering with anticipation.

Anything can happen on Halloween/in Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stocke
msg tools
Jawby wrote:

I hope I'm right about this but by the sounds of it you won't have to buy 2 core sets with Arkham. It looks like you start with a deck and buy more cards to add to it in game as the campaign advances. Funny quote too.

The FFG preview article said the game has enough stuff for 1-2 players, but that it can be expanded to 3-4 players with a second core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmb
heretic44 wrote:
Jawby wrote:

The FFG preview article said the game has enough stuff for 1-2 players, but that it can be expanded to 3-4 players with a second core set.

That's awesome! I read somewhere else where people were buying multiple core sets to have a better deck to start with. That was frustrating to hear but I'm glad you only need one core set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawby wrote:
That's awesome! I read somewhere else where people were buying multiple core sets to have a better deck to start with. That was frustrating to hear but I'm glad you only need one core set!

The game wasn't for sale at Gencon so nobody "was" buying multiple cores. If it had been for sale though then yes, many people would be buying more than one. Some of them would be for friends, some for eBay. Casual boardgames would only need one for themselves, but the hardcore LCG guys would all want two in order to have a full playset of cards for deck construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolstuffinc is limiting pre-orders to 2 cores. My original plan was to get two for myself but a friend wanted in on my preorder so I will happily just start with one and see how that works. It's really too early to see how "necessary" the second one will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not losing any sleep over two cores. I have everything LotR, have beaten every scenario, have tonnes of deck building choice, and only got one core. It's all I needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.