Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks! I'm one of the designers of Cry Havoc. Just wanted to give you all a friendly welcome and invite to ask any questions. We worked very hard on the rules, but Cry is a big game and we know you might have questions. Please ask and I'll do my best to answer ASAP. We're also working on an official FAQ.

Don't forget Watch it Played posted a fantastic rules video for it, so give that a watch as a primer.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a stressful time for you or does the excitement, of seeing your game out in the wild, outweigh it? (Sorry if this is not the type of questions you wanted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Is this a stressful time for you or does the excitement, of seeing your game out in the wild, outweigh it? (Sorry if this is not the type of questions you wanted).

I'm always stressed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Grant. Long time listener first time caller here. I have a copy of Cry Havoc on preorder, but my order won't be shipping until the next War of the Ring expansion releases in October. How can I let my friends know I'm really cool even though I won't have the game on day 1?

Thanks!
Baffled in Boston
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
Hi, Grant. Long time listener first time caller here. I have a copy of Cry Havoc on preorder, but my order won't be shipping until the next War of the Ring expansion releases in October. How can I let my friends know I'm really cool even though I won't have the game on day 1?

Thanks!
Baffled in Boston

You're my new favorite person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, random questions thread, excellent.

Which is your favourite faction to play, and why?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:
Ooh, random questions thread, excellent.

Which is your favourite faction to play, and why?

Cheers!

I'm in a machine mood right now. I like how they can weaken an enemy and pour out new units with structures. I'm bad with them and need to practice. I still haven't had a chance to play the final copy yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
I'm in a machine mood right now. I like how they can weaken an enemy and pour out new units with structures. I'm bad with them and need to practice. I still haven't had a chance to play the final copy yet!

Trogs are the faction I'm looking forward to trying the most, but Machines are probably second.

As a follow up question, when you're balancing a game, how do you tell the difference between an underpowered faction and one that you're just not very good at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:
when you're balancing a game, how do you tell the difference between an underpowered faction and one that you're just not very good at?

This is an excellent question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please answer my follow up questions in the 3 Player Trog thread, since the rulebook is incomplete/wrong based on your initial answer there.

Also: I am confused by the card drawing bonus on cards. Rather, the difference between the Draw a Card per symbol and the Draw a Card with an asterisk. I get that you draw only one card with the asterisk, but what symbol am I looking for with the other draw? If it's with the wrenches, am I drawing one card per wrench I played this action (maybe 5 or 6 cards!)? Otherwise I don't see the difference between it and the asterisk, as there's only ever one draw card icon that I have seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:

Trogs are the faction I'm looking forward to trying the most, but Machines are probably second.

As a follow up question, when you're balancing a game, how do you tell the difference between an underpowered faction and one that you're just not very good at?

You play it over and over with a lot of people. There isn't a sexy answer. Just time and effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Please answer my follow up questions in the 3 Player Trog thread, since the rulebook is incomplete/wrong based on your initial answer there.

Also: I am confused by the card drawing bonus on cards. Rather, the difference between the Draw a Card per symbol and the Draw a Card with an asterisk. I get that you draw only one card with the asterisk, but what symbol am I looking for with the other draw? If it's with the wrenches, am I drawing one card per wrench I played this action (maybe 5 or 6 cards!)? Otherwise I don't see the difference between it and the asterisk, as there's only ever one draw card icon that I have seen.

Hi! I thought I answered, but I'll go double check. Sorry, I was traveling home last night.

Let's say you're playing the Pilgrims, which are the ones with the non-Asterisk card draw bonus. And, you have some Desert cards, which have the card draw bonus with an asterisk.

Pilgrim Bonus: Draw 1 for every symbol shown.
Desert Bonus: Draw 1 max, regardless of every desert card played.

Example: I play 3 cards for Movement. Two of them are Desert. I draw 1 card, b/c it's only one card, regardless of number played.

Example 2: I played 3 cards for Movement, two of them Pilgrim cards with draw bonus. I draw 2 cards, because it is one per symbol shown. Yay advanced alien species!

Example 3: I play 3 cards for Movement. One is a pilgrim bonus, two deserts. I draw 2 cards. One for Pilgrim, and one for the desert, because it's only one per asterisk.

Does this clarify it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant, I've played the game once (4 player) and have a rules question.

In a 4 player game, when a non-Trog player moves into a region with a Trog War Party token, which faction is considered the attacker, the faction that moved or the Trogs?

I'm assuming the non-Trog faction is the attacker because they are the ones that moved.

One of the guys I was playing with thought it made more sense that the Trogs are the attackers since the defender has an advantage in battle (goes last, breaks ties) and because the board starts with so many Trog War Party tokens. He was wondering if the intent was for the Trogs to be attackers because the Trogs seem strong enough just having war party tokens everywhere. His thought from a thematic standpoint is that the miniatures were not in the region when the other faction moved in, they "surprise attack" when the war party token is turned over and ambush the player that moved there (yes, the player can see the token, but he was trying to justify thematically).

I rechecked the rules, and to me it's assumed that the Trogs are the defenders, but the rules never explicitly state that (that I noticed), so figured I'd ask here to confirm.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
Hi Grant, I've played the game once (4 player) and have a rules question.

In a 4 player game, when a non-Trog player moves into a region with a Trog War Party token, which faction is considered the attacker, the faction that moved or the Trogs?

I'm assuming the non-Trog faction is the attacker because they are the ones that moved.

One of the guys I was playing with thought it made more sense that the Trogs are the attackers since the defender has an advantage in battle (goes last, breaks ties) and because the board starts with so many Trog War Party tokens. He was wondering if the intent was for the Trogs to be attackers because the Trogs seem strong enough just having war party tokens everywhere. His thought from a thematic standpoint is that the miniatures were not in the region when the other faction moved in, they "surprise attack" when the war party token is turned over and ambush the player that moved there (yes, the player can see the token, but he was trying to justify thematically).

I rechecked the rules, and to me it's assumed that the Trogs are the defenders, but the rules never explicitly state that (that I noticed), so figured I'd ask here to confirm.

Thanks!

The attacker is ALWAYS the faction that moves in. If Pilgrims move into a Trog Token, the Pilgrims are the attackers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens to terrain tactics cards placed on the Machine's Matrix building after they are used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
What happens to terrain tactics cards placed on the Machine's Matrix building after they are used?

Discarded to the deck they were taken from, as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Shuffled in, more like. Since when you draw 2 keep 1 on the terrain cards you have to shuffle that one back in, I assume the intent is to shuffle in all cards that return to the terrain decks.

In any case, I believe Grant answered somewhere else that the Matrix cards do indeed get discarded. You do not add them to your deck nor do they return to the Matrix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
United States
Santa Monica
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the case of the Matrix, the official FAQ states that cards go to the bottom of their respective Terrain Tactics deck after use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.