Subject: Basic Opinions of Components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a very basic overview of what i think of the components.

Cards: serviceable, but slightly too thin. I do not normally sleeve my games, but I will probably sleeve these cards. fortunately there are not tons of cards.

Cardboard: The cardboard is average. I would have liked slightly thicker cardboard, but really this will work fine. I did however find the resource tokens (production, culture, research) to be too small. the largest is the research tokens, which are slightly too small. The smallest is the culture tokens, which i find far too small. these i will most likely replace maybe with ascension like gems in the 3 different colors.

Ships: I am not one who is going to complain about the lack of diversity in the ship models. this game especially pre expansion, does not need it. it might make a neat expansion, we will have to see if they do something with it, if they dont, fine. i dont find it necessary for this type of game. however the ship models are fairly low detail, but functional.

Player Boards: I like the fact that the player boards are different for each faction. the slider idea is cool but the pegs on my sliders are too short to grab the rail in the player board.

Dice: not sure as my game did not come with any dice.

Overall: I really find most of the components to be slightly (but just slightly) below standard for games now a days. I do not regret my purchase though, i read the rulebook and bought this for the gameplay. I know it says 3 players (not 2) but i dont see any reason you couldnt play with 2, i know trades would be few and far between. it would be a different game but not necessarily bad. looking forward to playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marshall
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
You're not the only one who's missing the dice; the Youtube unboxing stream in the previous thread found the same problem. I've already contacted GF9 about this because I don't want my pre-ordered game to come without all of its components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's been my observation with GF9 products so far. I'm not familiar with a lot of their stuff, but their D&D spell cards were very cheap and flimsy. I don't recommend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do the components compare to the other GF9 games? Are the cards thinner than in Spartacus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the components to be underwhelming for a $100 MSRP game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
How do the components compare to the other GF9 games? Are the cards thinner than in Spartacus?

They were thin, I cannot compare to Spartacus as do not have that game,but they were as thin as their Tank games cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the dice: when I got my copy at Gencon, they included a separate baggie with the dice as apparently the first run was assembled without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apparently they had to rush the games to have them in time at gencon, thats why the dice where shipped seperately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:

i havent played that so i cant comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
Regarding the dice: when I got my copy at Gencon, they included a separate baggie with the dice as apparently the first run was assembled without them.

i will have to talk to my friend who picked up the game for me. i will look into it thanks for the info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Mattias wrote:

All other GF9 games (Spartacus, Firefly, Homeland and Sons of Anarchy) generally have great components. It would be sad if they didn't use the same cardstock for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Mattias wrote:

All other GF9 games (Spartacus, Firefly, Homeland and Sons of Anarchy) generally have great components. It would be sad if they didn't use the same cardstock for this game.

They may have used the same card stock I'm not sure. It's not bad quality but not great. It's thick enough to not bend under slight pressure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad this game doesn't sound to be at FFG quality components.

What kind of plastic sleeves will fit the cards? Are there many different sizes of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

What kind of plastic sleeves will fit the cards? Are there many different sizes of cards?

normal size for the turn and exploration. small size for the advancements and i have know idea for the fleet cards and reference card. any info welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:

GF9 are generally on a par with FFG when it comes to component quality and far ahead when it comes to rules writing and presentation. Very sad if they have lowered component quality for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

GF9 are generally on a par with FFG when it comes to component quality and far ahead when it comes to rules writing and presentation. Very sad if they have lowered component quality for this game.

I LOL'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Mattias wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

I LOL'd.

I know! I stopped buying FFG games after XCOM, but made an exception for Star Wars Rebellion which was better than expected but had a total train wreck of rule books!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
star wars rebellion rules dont feel like a train wreck, all the rules needed to play are in there, just that some particular cases require a specific interpretation which may or may not be obvious at first sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Mattias wrote:
R2EQ wrote:

I LOL'd.

I had never dealt with a more frustrating rulebook than the Star Trek Ascendancy one. They could solve 90% of my problem with them by having an index. Yes, this 32 page rulebook has no index.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
star wars rebellion rules dont feel like a train wreck, all the rules needed to play are in there, just that some particular cases require a specific interpretation which may or may not be obvious at first sight.

I suppose it is a matter of opinion. I prefer a succinct rule book with definitions, numbered cases and sub cases. In my book Avalon Hill was the best rules company and ASL their crowning achievement.

Most FFG games feel like they were released before they were fully tested and developed. There are usually a lot of ambiguous rules and cases that the rules don't cover. This usually generates one FAQ version after another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
of course, the wargame style of rules with lots of cross-references and details about corner cases is preferrable to leave no room for doubt, but for lighter games such a rules setup might dissuade players instead of being inviting.

the rules for SW rebellion are a bit in between both, with the rules guide giving more details where needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rockin Rocko wrote:

Just keep in mind that a good chunk of that $100 goes to CBS for the Star Trek license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Rockin Rocko wrote:

Just keep in mind that a good chunk of that $100 goes to CBS for the Star Trek license.

Star Wars Rebellion is the same price and the components are gorgeous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

R2EQ wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

Rockin Rocko wrote:

Star Wars Rebellion is the same price and the components are gorgeous.

And perhaps FFG got a better deal on the Star Wars license than GF9 got for Star Trek? I don't know. All I'm saying is that the MRSP of a game shouldn't be the only determinant for component quality.

FFG is a much larger publisher with different resources than GF9. So yeah, I'd expect FFG's components to be better. I think the more appropriate question, before we judge the components based only on MSRP, is to ask if GF9 simply didn't care, or weren't competent enough, to produce better components within the same cost margin?

Also, I don't know where GF9 gets their games manufactured. Perhaps - just perhaps - the fact that they're based in New Zealand may have something to do with production costs?

Us gamers complain a lot without realizing what we're complaining about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, we don't know the costs so it's all just guess work.

However, I did hear Christian T. Petersen (owner FFG) say something in an interview once.

He said that the Star Wars IP was very expensive for FFG when they acquired it. He looked at past Star Wars games and saw that the previous owners of the IP obviously skimped on production costs to keep their games at a reasonable price.

That's why we had so many cheap looking Star Wars games.

Christian decided to gamble and not skimp on production costs, hoping that mass sales would make up the difference. He was vindicated in his belief when X-Wing took the world by storm and FFG hasn't looked back since.

I wouldn't take people "complaining" in an overly negative light. GF9 is a much loved company and it shows by many of the posts on this forum.

However, if the standard was raised by FFG that is a great thing for us gamers. GF9 could learn and strive to get to the next level. That would make GF9 a better company and us gamers would have better games. Win/win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.