Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lunadips Sixsmtih
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi a question regarding overseer movement in the mine:

If the first player decides to pass then can they still take the optional "second overseer movement" once everyone else has moved?

I've been playing it as NO. If the first player decides to pass then they are done for that round and don't have the option to move once everyone else has moved their overseer. p.10 of the rules states "After each player has made a movement in the mine, the first player in the turn order may have a second overseer movement,..." Since the first player didn't make a movement in the mine I have always played it as they lose the opportunity to move again after everyone else has moved.

I think I've been playing this correctly but it is one of those things that erks me enough to want to get an official answer.

cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Lovell
United States
Edgewood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lunadips wrote:
Hi a question regarding overseer movement in the mine:

If the first player decides to pass then can they still take the optional "second overseer movement" once everyone else has moved?

I've been playing it as NO. If the first player decides to pass then they are done for that round and don't have the option to move once everyone else has moved their overseer. p.10 of the rules states "After each player has made a movement in the mine, the first player in the turn order may have a second overseer movement,..." Since the first player didn't make a movement in the mine I have always played it as they lose the opportunity to move again after everyone else has moved.

I think I've been playing this correctly but it is one of those things that erks me enough to want to get an official answer.

cheers.

Why would you ever pass? I don't think you CAN pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunadips Sixsmtih
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, you can pass. P.10 rules: "It is not mandatory to take an overseer movement each round. A player may choose to pass....."

You might pass in order to have the least number of workers in the mines so that you can retain first player status on the turn order slot. That way you can have first dibs during market and quest phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
According to testing on the digital version, the first player can make their optional second move after opting to pass their first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is technically allowed, though not clearly specified in the rules, since I never conceived of such I nonoptimal play. As Lunadips stated, you may pass to keep your number of workers down to go earlier in the turn order, but if you take the bonus overseer movement, regardless of whether you passed on the first movement, you get stuck in last in the turn order, so passing and then taking the bonus move doesn't make much sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunadips Sixsmtih
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks David and Isaac for the clarification.

A rare occurrence might be that first player passes to keep control of first turn but then once everyone has had a turn an opportunity in the mine presents itself that is too good to miss so first player says "cobblers" to being first in turn order and uses the bonus overseer move to earn a kings ransom in the mine, but gives up the opportunity to be first in turn order for market/quest phase. You know, maybe....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.