Subject: New PnP version ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Is there a newer version of the PnP files matching the finished game ? If not, are there plans to publish them or is the game "not a print and play anymore" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd doubt they'll do a PNP for a published game. Tends to undercut their sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest PNP files linked from the campaign page of the Kickstarter match the final KS/retail version of the game.

The full set of PNP files for Trick or Treat, Leder Games's previous title, are still available (in the files section here at BGG, in fact), and last I'd heard the intention was to do the same with Vast.

For every potential sale that might be lost to someone who uses the PNP to avoid paying for a copy, just as many will play the PNP and love it so much that they'll go out and buy it so they can have it with all of the high-quality tiles, cards, tokens, and wooden bits of the retail version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's seriously awesome of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Woelf wrote:

For every potential sale that might be lost to someone who uses the PNP to avoid paying for a copy, just as many will play the PNP and love it so much that they'll go out and buy it so they can have it with all of the high-quality tiles, cards, tokens, and wooden bits of the retail version.

Plus, people who do a lot of PnPs will recognize that making their own high quality copy of a game is not really all that cheap. Depending on the details of the game it could easily end up costing as much or more than simply buying the game at retail. AND you get to spend the time and labour assembling it!

I mean, if you're willing to live with shitty quality in the name of saving a few bucks, yeah, you could run off a B&W copy on cardstock paper and use proxy figs from somewhere, but you're not going to be getting anything remotely similar to the real deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But, where are the PNP files? I looked in the bgg file section and the website and couldn't find them.

I really just want them to read the rulebook. So, any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick D
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Woelf wrote:
The latest PNP files linked from the campaign page of the Kickstarter match the final KS/retail version of the game.

Well actually they don't match entirely. There aren't any of the 12 green goblin discs or the 3 red goblin discs and I don't see any mention of the 3 monster gem token (1 is a trap) which are listed in the KS campaign. I understand the game has changed since the KS campaign and it looks to be pretty close. Has anyone played through the PnP version with the rule book and is it completely playable? I could just get some red and green paper and make the little discs..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freefallnick wrote:
There aren't any of the 12 green goblin discs or the 3 red goblin discs and I don't see any mention of the 3 monster gem token (1 is a trap) which are listed in the KS campaign.
The goblin discs are just that, wooden discs. There's no art, so nothing to include in the PnP files.

The Dragon Gems have changed a bit so there isn't one labeled as a trap (the die is used for that). They are on the punchboard PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick D
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
JonBob wrote:
The goblin discs are just that, wooden discs. There's no art, so nothing to include in the PnP files.

Ok that makes sense thanks!

JonBob wrote:

The Dragon Gems have changed a bit so there isn't one labeled as a trap (the die is used for that). They are on the punchboard PDF.

Can you show what you mean by this? I am using PDF Vast_Punchboards_160505.pdf and it has the 3 Dragon gems as the first items along the top of the punchboard so I'm not sure what you mean unless I'm using the wrong PDF. Also, are there any pictures that show all the sides of the dragon die? Thanks.

In printing this off I noticed none of the components line up when I print double sided, one side is offset a little bit of the other side. Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
freefallnick wrote:
JonBob wrote:

Can you show what you mean by this? I am using PDF Vast_Punchboards_160505.pdf and it has the 3 Dragon gems as the first items along the top of the punchboard so I'm not sure what you mean unless I'm using the wrong PDF.
The three gems you're seeing are the correct ones. Instead of being all the same on one side and one having a trap on the reverse as in the older design, they were changed to be "suited", with each having a different symbol that corresponds to the dragon's powers. Once one of those gems is placed, it provides one extra of that symbol (in addition to its cards) each turn. If someone else tries to take it, they roll the dragon die to see if it's a trap.

It gives the Dragon more strategic options, and a little more control over which abilities it will be able to use each turn.

Quote:
Also, are there any pictures that show all the sides of the dragon die? Thanks.
That actually is missing from the most recent copy. (D'oh!)

If you're in the Google Drive folder, click on the "Old" folder at the top and open any of the previous tile sheets - you'll find it on the very last page. The facings on that die have never changed, so it won't matter which older version you use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick D
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Woelf wrote:
freefallnick wrote:
JonBob wrote:

Can you show what you mean by this? I am using PDF Vast_Punchboards_160505.pdf and it has the 3 Dragon gems as the first items along the top of the punchboard so I'm not sure what you mean unless I'm using the wrong PDF.
The three gems you're seeing are the correct ones. Instead of being all the same on one side and one having a trap on the reverse as in the older design, they were changed to be "suited", with each having a different symbol that corresponds to the dragon's powers. Once one of those gems is placed, it provides one extra of that symbol (in addition to its cards) each turn. If someone else tries to take it, they roll the dragon die to see if it's a trap.

It gives the Dragon more strategic options, and a little more control over which abilities it will be able to use each turn.

Ok, I looked closer at the component list and I do actually see them listed but not pictured. I guess I was not fully awake this morning lol. The manual is kind of confusing on these, so the dragon places them on tiles so he can use the ability of that gem placed? And it can be a trap for anyone picking them up if the dragon die rolled has a center tile pictured otherwise it helps them?

Quote:
Quote:
Also, are there any pictures that show all the sides of the dragon die? Thanks.
That actually is missing from the most recent copy. (D'oh!)

If you're in the Google Drive folder, click on the "Old" folder at the top and open any of the previous tile sheets - you'll find it on the very last page. The facings on that die have never changed, so it won't matter which older version you use.

Ah perfect, I see they included a chart so you can use a regular die as well. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.