Subject: ARVNbot jungle sweep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
Hi, searched for this but no dice. Say non-player ARVN has one cube in a jungle province with support and an underground VC there. ARVN decides to sweep, and that province is picked per the first bullet of 8.7.5:

Quote:
• First, Sweep with ARVN cubes and Rangers in place where there are Underground VC or NVA Guerrillas—first where either Active or Passive Support, then where the Underground Guerrillas include any VC, then at the highest Population, then randomly.

ARVN does have a cube in the province with VC, but since it's jungle the op would be ineffective at revealing any guerrillas. Does the ARVN sweep in place, and pay 3 resources, anyway? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked around to see what the idea is driving that. 8.1.1 seems to be the only rational way to keep this from happening. It says something to the idea of taking an operation to the extent that resources and pieces are available. You could say that the required number of pieces to carry the sweep are not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you're partially selecting spaces to Sweep cubes into. The third bullet dictates to move forces in to assist with flipping Guerrillas. (Also, Raid/Transport may help with these.)

In the rare case that you select a space but do not have enough cubes to effect it, then I would assume that the Sweep is ineffective, and the space is deselected (and no Resources are paid). I could be wrong, and defer to Oerjan and/or Volko on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
drmark64 wrote:
I looked around to see what the idea is driving that. 8.1.1 seems to be the only rational way to keep this from happening. It says something to the idea of taking an operation to the extent that resources and pieces are available. You could say that the required number of pieces to carry the sweep are not there.

You could say that, but I'm not sure it'd be reading things right. I mean, it's a legal province for sweeping, and I don't really see any provision for deselecting an op space after it's picked. I think the most literal interpretation is that the ARVN just performs a useless sweep there and has to pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
Actually, you're partially selecting spaces to Sweep cubes into. The third bullet dictates to move forces in to assist with flipping Guerrillas. (Also, Raid/Transport may help with these.

This. The phrasing of the first Sweep bullet ("First. Sweep with ...") is unfortunate; read literally - i.e., that the bot should try to Activate Guerrillas before moving any other Troops - it makes the rest of the instruction illegal since no further Sweep movement may occur once you begin flipping Guerrillas to Active.

So: 1st Sweep bullet should instead say "First, select spaces with ...". The 3rd bullet moves in Troops as necessary, and only after all movement is finished do you get to Activate anything.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan, I believe the actual question is: if you end up with 1 ARVN Troop/Police/Ranger in a Jungle selected for Sweep after all the bullets have been executed, is the Sweep still valid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.