23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New To The Hobby, Looking For Card-Heavy Solo RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
After hearing about how much board games have changed since I was a kid, I decided to pick some up: Mage Knight, Elder Sign and Sentinels of the Multiverse. They've been surprisingly fun! laugh

Now I'd really like to try an RPG with a fair amount of content and some kind of "character" progression between games. Solo play, preferably with just one character but having to play multiples is ok if the game is good enough. Definitely card-based, or at least card-heavy...I'm not a fan of mini's and such. Art is super important too! So something more like this:

and not like this:

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game is one I found that looks interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game might scratch that itch. Not an RPG, per se, but has questing and whatnot. It helps that it's great.

Someone is probably going to recommend one of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game sets, but I was very much not a fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
PS - How about that Allegiance art surprise Was super bummed when I found out it wasn't the solo RPG type game I was looking for, I think is best looking game I've seen so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHQ is fun, but really balanced for 4 characters. It can be played solo with any number of characters between 1 and 4, but much more fun with 4 characters, so that can be a lot of table space and upkeep.
It also only has (i think) 4 adventures in the main quest line, then a delve quest.

Check out the Pathfinder Adventure Card Games. I think there are three editions now, and a fourth soon to come. Each character has a deck and that deck evolves and grows as you succeed in adventure paths. The deck is preconfigured at the beginning of the game, it's not a Magic the Gathering type game. It's not a lot of progressive growth, but it is some.
Entirely card based (and dice).

I've played through the first adventure path solo with three characters and I will go through it again with 3 or 4 different characters.
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set
is the first one, then Skull and Shackles and Wrath of the Righteous.

Jacob - interesting. I know LOTR LCG gets a lot of buzz, but I played it once, solo, and couldn't wait to trade it away, whereas I really got into PACD RotR (not so much S&S though). *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a little bit and grab the "Arkham Horror LCG" it is supposed to have a RPG feel and has progression in the character cards throught out its campaign. The only issue could be that LCG's can become expensive because they have regular "expansion packs" which are released every month or so.

I have Warhammer Quest ACG but im not sure how much new content is coming out for it. If you are happy with just whats in the box then it is a very popular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
emodiu5 wrote:

Someone is probably going to recommend one of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game sets, but I was very much not a fan.

Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

I have the "Rise of the Runelords" set and find it quite fun. The setup is a bit of a pain but if you are into the Pathfinder universe i would give it a look. You can probably pickup a secondhand complete set for a decent price too now.

Oh yeah, and also you might want to check out "The Apocrypha Adventure Card Game" which is coming out soon from the designer of the Pathfinder ACG games. Its similar but focused on a horror theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
mschipper wrote:

I have Warhammer Quest ACG but im not sure how much new content is coming out for it. If you are happy with just whats in the box then it is a very popular game.

Went ahead and got it, for $25 it seems fair. At the least, it'll let me know if I do want to play this type of game before dumping out hundreds on one with a lot of content

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
goldmonkee wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Why not?

To me it basically just felt like the world's slowest deckbuilder where every decision amounted to "flip a card, roll the dice, hope you roll well."

I understand that many games can be boiled down to their basic mechanics and made to sound super boring, but PACG never gave me the feeling that I was making meaningful decisions or doing more than flipping cards and rolling dice.

I really wanted to like it, because the idea appeals to me greatly, but it just really didn't click at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

To me it basically just felt like the world's slowest deckbuilder where every decision amounted to "flip a card, roll the dice, hope you roll well."

I understand that many games can be boiled down to their basic mechanics and made to sound super boring, but PACG never gave me the feeling that I was making meaningful decisions or doing more than flipping cards and rolling dice.

I really wanted to like it, because the idea appeals to me greatly, but it just really didn't click at all.

Exactly that.

Yes the fanboys will argue that you have the choice which weapon you use and which card you put in your deck and so on...but no, there aren't any real decisions in the game.
It's not like that this card is better for this but weaker for that, no. A card is either clearly better than one you had before or not.

I really wanted to like the game and I did...for the base set and the first adventure pack...but after that?
It is just too samey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

+1(000000000)!

I've been preaching that PACG isn't a good game since I unfortunately fell for it after reading the first three glowing reviews. Avoid it at all cost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror: The Card Game is one to watch out for (it is coming out Q4/2016).

It is a card game, has terrific art, if you like the Cthulhu-theme, and it has rpg-like elements, where you progress after every scenario and there is story and everything you might be looking for.

As has been mentioned above, it is an LCG (Living Card Game), which will get constant expansions (like monthly), but most of them are just small packs of cards. It does add up over time, though. On the other hand, it will constantly evolve and there will be new things to explore.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
Are there other options though? Doesn't seem like there is unless you start getting heavy on the mini's or get away from the RPG hook & more like the LotR card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Evan!

I think you should take a look at
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

The game has great art

plays mostly with cards

and has a good level of challenge.

I personally quite like it.

-Hugo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
goldmonkee wrote:
mschipper wrote:

Went ahead and got it, for $25 it seems fair. At the least, it'll let me know if I do want to play this type of game before dumping out hundreds on one with a lot of content

Whoops, sorry, missed these replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

+1(000000000)!

I've been preaching that PACG isn't a good game since I unfortunately fell for it after reading the first three glowing reviews. Avoid it at all cost!

The gameplay is awful, but the character progression and persistence is where the fun is. I don't particularly want to sit around doing boring things for an hour so that I can get to the fun 60 seconds at the end of the game. But if you don't mind making trivial decisions and rolling dice for an hour so that your character can get a bump and advance through a campaign without a narrative, then Pathfinder could be for you (boy I'm not really selling that, am I?). Though I suspect that after Mage Knight, you'd be disappointed by the experience it provides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldmonkee wrote:
Are there other options though? Doesn't seem like there is unless you start getting heavy on the mini's or get away from the RPG hook & more like the LotR card game.

Mistfall is one I've had my eye on for a while. It has a campaign expansion, and is mostly cards with some map tiles and tokens and other cardboard junk. Like most cooperative games, I'm sure it plays pretty much the same with 1 player as it does with 4. Well, there'll be less arguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like PACG phone app as a time killer and I went to GenCon with the possibility of buying it because I like the thousands of cool accessories but after playing it in person I realized that I'd rather play it on my phone. The box looks like it is too much to keep track of. But... the App rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
nomoredroids wrote:
jhaelen wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

+1(000000000)!

The gameplay is awful, but the character progression and persistence is where the fun is. I don't particularly want to sit around doing boring things for an hour so that I can get to the fun 60 seconds at the end of the game. But if you don't mind making trivial decisions and rolling dice for an hour so that your character can get a bump and advance through a campaign without a narrative, then Pathfinder could be for you (boy I'm not really selling that, am I?). Though I suspect that after Mage Knight, you'd be disappointed by the experience it provides.

Too bad there's nothing that's like Mage Knight but with Pathfinder's content & persistent upgrades, apparently.

I'll probably try the base set anyway. Worst case, I can resell it and only lose $15-20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
gilford wrote:
Evan..... did you see the Star Trek Frontiers ?
It's Mage Knight in Star Trek Universe

And as someone mentioned, check Mistfall. I'm not a fan of the company's customer service -at all- but the game should be similar to Warhammer but with maybe a bit more RPG, more locational setup, and already has a big box stand alone expansion.

Star Trek Frontiers looked too much like Mage Knight to me; more like a re-skin than being inspired by it?

I'll put Mistfall on my list! The artwork may keep me from trying it, but if I see it on sale or something then I'll try and look past it, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't have sold off Mistfall fast enough. Absolutely stunning amount of typos and errata, fiddly beyond belief, awful rulebook, very long set-up, the card play was just tediously boring and too sandboxy almost... every choice is rather obvious and its a exercise in mathematics rather than an exercise in fun. Maybe my least favorite game I've owned.

Get Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game. I think it's everything you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
79strat wrote:
I couldn't have sold off Mistfall fast enough. Absolutely stunning amount of typos and errata, fiddly beyond belief, awful rulebook, very long set-up, the card play was just tediously boring and too sandboxy almost... every choice is rather obvious and its a exercise in mathematics rather than an exercise in fun. Maybe my least favorite game I've owned.

Get Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game. I think it's everything you want.

I picked up both Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Neither is exactly what I was looking for, but seems like they'll scratch my itch anyway

Hopefully Arkham Horror: The Card Game and "Starfinder" (sci-fi Pathfinder) both end up being really good too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.