$30.00
Johnny Byrnes
msg tools
So my group just played RtL again last night and our next story mission (the 3rd story mission) said "Start in 1 week". So we decide to do a side mission because we were low on gold. In that side mission we took one(1) KO and ultimately won the mission. We were lucky to only have one KO against our morale, since we're usually almost to zero morale at the end of most missions, but we'd played this side mission before. When we were ready to go back to Tamalir and buy some new gear and refresh our Morale from our 1KO, Tamalir was greyed out and the *only* option appears to be to start the next story mission.

Does this seriously mean that we have to go in to the next story mission with 1 KO already against our morale and no chance to buy new gear before we start it? Will the morale reset when we start the next story mission or is that something that only resets in Tamalir? Is this a bug or did I miss some instruction explaining how this "weeks" system is supposed to work, because it seems pretty messed up to go into a story mission with anything less than full morale.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyBurbank wrote:
So my group just played RtL again last night and our next story mission (the 3rd story mission) said "Start in 1 week". So we decide to do a side mission because we were low on gold. In that side mission we took one(1) KO and ultimately won the mission. We were lucky to only have one KO against our morale, since we're usually almost to zero morale at the end of most missions, but we'd played this side mission before. When we were ready to go back to Tamalir and buy some new gear and refresh our Morale from our 1KO, Tamalir was greyed out and the *only* option appears to be to start the next story mission.

Does this seriously mean that we have to go in to the next story mission with 1 KO already against our morale and no chance to buy new gear before we start it? Will the morale reset when we start the next story mission or is that something that only resets in Tamalir? Is this a bug or did I miss some instruction explaining how this "weeks" system is supposed to work, because it seems pretty messed up to go into a story mission with anything less than full morale.


You expend one week to travel. Morale only refresh in Talamir.

Check the page 11 on RTL rules for a more accurate info on the campaign system.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah i mean you aren't the only one to make this mistake apparently.

But it very clearly says that going to town takes 1 week. How did you think you could do a mission (which takes 1 week) and go to town (which takes 1 week)?

1+1=2
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith romstad
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really good point in which I will learn from your mistake on our next mission! We shall head to town instead of another side quest. I'm sorry for your loss but KNOW that it helped our party succeed (hopefully) in the end!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Byrnes
msg tools
I'll be honest, I guess I never really paid attention to the whole "weeks" thing, or thought it was something that could actually put us in this kind of situation. I never figured they'd include a feature that would start your party in a mission with a deficit. Don't remember basic Descent or IA having anything like that (but then it's been a while since I played Descent without the app). I guess up to this point in RtL:KF it always just worked out to not screw us.

Just makes me wish they had a "Hey guy-who-probably-didnt-read-this-part-of-the-rulebook, Are you *suuuuure* you wanna start this side-quest now with only one week left till we force you to do the next story mission?" prompt before going in. Or at least a big red "Warning!" box around that particular detail in the Rulebook.

I guess I should be glad we only got one KO last time. Oh well, serves us right I suppose. We'll definitely be more aware next time. But glad I was able to help another party avoid our mistake...lol. Though personally I wouldn't hate it FF would consider making this detail a little more prominent. :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyBurbank wrote:
I'll be honest, I guess I never really paid attention to the whole "weeks" thing, or thought it was something that could actually put us in this kind of situation. I never figured they'd include a feature that would start your party in a mission with a deficit. Don't remember basic Descent or IA having anything like that (but then it's been a while since I played Descent without the app). I guess up to this point in RtL:KF it always just worked out to not screw us.

Just makes me wish they had a "Hey guy-who-probably-didnt-read-this-part-of-the-rulebook, Are you *suuuuure* you wanna start this side-quest now with only one week left till we force you to do the next story mission?" prompt before going in. Or at least a big red "Warning!" box around that particular detail in the Rulebook.

I guess I should be glad we only got one KO last time. Oh well, serves us right I suppose. We'll definitely be more aware next time. But glad I was able to help another party avoid our mistake...lol. Though personally I wouldn't hate it FF would consider making this detail a little more prominent. :/


Yes, if your group are doing well, you can skip the travel back to Talamir and gain weeks to explore side quests and take more gold/fame or accumulates time to expend in the city to gain one more xp point. It's a very cool system with high risk/ high rewards that can affect your campaign.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
We're another party that was helped by your mishap. And don't worry; you guys can conquer that mission without one more KO! Go get em!

Seriously. Let us know how you do. We're all pulling for you!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Byrnes
msg tools
kraisto wrote:
Yes, if your group are doing well, you can skip the travel back to Talamir and gain weeks to explore side quests and take more gold/fame or accumulates time to expend in the city to gain one more xp point. It's a very cool system with high risk/ high rewards that can affect your campaign.

I suppose that makes sense. We're playing on Hard and we often barely scrape by with 1 remaining morale IF we actually win, so I don't know that we'd ever take that chance personally. It's just too bad we had to figure out that system the hard way. Nice thing is, in one of my other threads I was reminded of a post of yours that this next story mission is only 1xp win or lose, so maybe it's not a complete loss.

burningecho wrote:
We're another party that was helped by your mishap. And don't worry; you guys can conquer that mission without one more KO! Go get em!

Seriously. Let us know how you do. We're all pulling for you!


Lol...thanks! We're playing next Friday, so I'll post back after the potential massacre. *fingers crossed*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
Ran into the same situation with my latest party.

Good luck buddy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same problem on my first campaign. Since then I would like to see them integrate costs and rewards for every action on the adventure-map (for instance: travelcost: 1 week; rewards: 100 gold, 1XP) when you select a story mission.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly makes the quests more stressful! Same thing happened to us on a main quest. Forgot to go to town and did both side quests in the 2 weeks and had to do the main quest with no morale. We won but boy was it challenging.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Byrnes
msg tools
For anyone that might've been interested in how our next story mission went, (I won't include any story spoilers) we did end up going in with only one KO down and we ended up actually doing really well. We barely squeaked by with no KO's at all in this story mission surprisingly. Granted we were really rolling and playing well. I was actually down to 1HP remaining for almost the entire mission (first set of 4 mobs were given a special of +2DMG with each attack). I basically slogged around the rest of the map with a body full of arrows waiting for our treasure hunter to find a health potion which she never did. Also I made my wolf take the brunt of the hits for the rest of the mission too..poor guy.

Strangely, this mission also didn't seem to throw any Minor or Major Peril at us. I guess we were moving along pretty quickly. Group limits also actually helped us a bit in the end too. They were gonna throw a large mob into the last area (along with several other mobs), but there was already one on the board and we have a 3 person team, so the end room was slightly less crowded than it could've been.

So after finishing, with our remaining gold we all decided to go back to town and buy another XP losing another week, thereby giving us another scenario where we only have one week to do a side quest before the next story mission and wouldn't be able to rest up after, and we're actually thinking of going for it! Funny what a solid win will do for a team's bravado. I suspect we'll regret that decision this time. lol
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Congrats! Sounds like the app's guilt protocol triggered.

Now don't get too cocky...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.