Popular Tags: [View All]
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys

This is a question for anyone who’s been to PAX or might be working there/ involved etc?
I was thinking about attending PAX Australia this year in Melbourne, and I just wanted to ask what the board game situation is like?
My 2 main questions are:

1.Do publishers attend this event and show off their games? My presumption is that they don’t because Australia is too far away, but I thought I’d just ask to make sure.

2. Will they have relatively recent releases available to buy and play?

I am from Brisbane so travelling to Melbourne is quite expensive, and just want to make sure if I go I’ll be able to play new releases etc, and not just games I would be able to play in Brisbane anyway.
I very much appreciate any information on this.

Thanks so much!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Kaleen
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
runs the board games side of PAX, so she should be able to answer any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You!! I'll send her an email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashlee - can you post the answers here ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Blackstock
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience at PAXAUS 2014 was great for playing games and meeting a lot of other gamers. There were a number of board game related panels, but nothing major.

A great weekend, well worth it. Not to mention I'm travelling over from Perth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
Ashlee - can you post the answers here ?

Sure can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite interested in the answers too Ashlee - I'm probably not likely to go, but I have a friend who attends regularly (he's overseas on hols now, attending Pax in the US). His primary interest seems to be the pins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Bates
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
I'm very interested in finding out the answer to this question as well. I've already purchased tickets to PAX and this will be my first year attending, but it would be nice to know how much time/money I should budget toward playing/buying new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I hear back I will let everyone know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I volunteer at PAX teaching board games, I don't speak for Melissa and she has many more answers than I do, but I'll post my perspective:

Do Publishers come down? SOME. Greater Than Games have been every year (In the main hall) with their games - Game Salute are usually here, as well as some Aussie people. Japanime too, although now they don't have Krosmaster, Tanto Cuore will probably be VERY well represented!

Recent releases - last year some of the hotness from Essen was air freighted over and was available for play in the PAX library - these were a big focus for us to learn and demo over the weekend. I am hoping that will be the same this year (although there doesn't seem to be the games around so far this year)

To buy - really depends on the retailers - it's Australian retailers as you would expect, and prices are in general what you would expect to pay at retail here. - Some new stuff can be available.

I highly recommend coming, if only because the bigger we can make the convention, the more likelihood we have of it sticking around! If you do come down, come and say hi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashlee Cramb
Australia
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thereat wrote:
Disclaimer: I volunteer at PAX teaching board games, I don't speak for Melissa and she has many more answers than I do, but I'll post my perspective:

Do Publishers come down? SOME. Greater Than Games have been every year (In the main hall) with their games - Game Salute are usually here, as well as some Aussie people. Japanime too, although now they don't have Krosmaster, Tanto Cuore will probably be VERY well represented!

Recent releases - last year some of the hotness from Essen was air freighted over and was available for play in the PAX library - these were a big focus for us to learn and demo over the weekend. I am hoping that will be the same this year (although there doesn't seem to be the games around so far this year)

To buy - really depends on the retailers - it's Australian retailers as you would expect, and prices are in general what you would expect to pay at retail here. - Some new stuff can be available.

I highly recommend coming, if only because the bigger we can make the convention, the more likelihood we have of it sticking around! If you do come down, come and say hi

Thank you!! I haven't heard back from Melissa yet, but I am very keen to come along and have a few friends interested too. Looks like I will be coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent - you should definitely come say hello, and hit me up for a game or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny M
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still in two minds about whether I'll be making the trek from Sydney for PAX. Was dead set on it at the end of last year when tickets were released, but not so sure now.

Would be interested to hear Melissa's update also. Maybe it's best she just responds directly in this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did we ever get an answer to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.