Subject: Damage/health rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Trying to see if I understand this correctly.

Damage is continuely tracked on any available dice. If you ever have more damage than health that is it you are eliminated.

So say with body and bonuses I have 10 health. I take 4 damage from an attack. I am at 4 damage, not 6 health? So if the next turn I adapt to a body that gets me to say 15 total health with bonuses. I am still at 4 damage and if at some point I accumulate 15 I would be elimated, and if I adapt with more health I would need to hit that number? You are not actually healing to full health just making the total damage threshold higher.

I think I have that right, just seems confusing to work it out in words. Only played once, fun game, but seems really fidly with lots of rules reference needed for all the random abilities. We constantly had to check the book every turn to see what stuff did. Was hoping for smoother play, might get better with more plays, but there is a serious need for better player aids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen,

Correct. Health is threshold, and damage chases it. You only heal with regeneration, and that reduces damage.

Please note all abilities are real abilities of real fish. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. Better reference cards and Player aids are needed.

When we played we mixed in all of the expansion packs and I was jumping back and for between the instructions and the cards from the booster packs to see what each keyword referenced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
KeeperoftheGate wrote:
Glen,

Correct. Health is threshold, and damage chases it. You only heal with regeneration, and that reduces damage.

Please note all abilities are real abilities of real fish. : )

I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't well designed, and thematic and accurate. Just with so much going on, and the need to be constantly checking through a giant fold out rulebook really takes away from the game. Better player aids with some quick reference for abilities and game flow should have been added. The only player aids are for card breakdowns themselves. Which honestly is the easiest part to remember with the game. The long list of abilities and constant rule checking make this a hard game to play and teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen,

I see. That's why I put all the abilities together in alphabetical order on just 1/4 of the manual, so it could be left open on the table, but I see how that could still not be enough. My apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
KeeperoftheGate wrote:
Glen,

I see. That's why I put all the abilities together in alphabetical order on just 1/4 of the manual, so it could be left open on the table, but I see how that could still not be enough. My apologies.

No need for apologies. I am nitpicking and only after one playthrough. The tiny box has a lot to offer, just a lot to reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. I'd suggest a play or 2 on the Guppy Time rules. Gives you time to get used to the more basic abilities, then play on the full version to introduce the more complex ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
KeeperoftheGate wrote:
Understood. I'd suggest a play or 2 on the Guppy Time rules. Gives you time to get used to the more basic abilities, then play on the full version to introduce the more complex ones.

Not a bad idea, but then I miss out on sooo much. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.