Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Verduzco
Mexico
Mexico City
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planing to get the base game and two expansions and play them with the app...
I want to play solo, I don't have many friends that like boardgames as I and I really want to try this game and crawl through dungeons... but I don't know if this game is "soloable" or not.

Should I get this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Have a good day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely, I just got this and I'm running 4 characters with the app, it's a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep in mind that the app has 2 scenarios/adventures for playing solo, so you can control 2 heroes and the app controls the monsters.
However, the adventure book from the box, you can't play it solo, because you need to have an overlord player. This have over 10 scenarios, if I'm not mistaken.
I also bought this game for solo experience, but for me it didn't succeed to deliver.
Maybe Descent 3 will have solo mode from the start, if this will ever be made.
Personally, I find solo mode in this game to be a hassle, just like in Mice and Mystics, where you control 4 heroes at once, and in some chapters even 6.
I've imagined that descent 2,for solo mode will allow to play one hero in an entire campaign, with level up and stuff, like in an rpg video game. If you hope the same, you better try to find another game.
I have this game for 2 years and only played it 3 times, because solo mode is not officially supported.
I'm in the same situation like you, meaning don't have friends interested in board games, and what I mostly enjoyed playing solo until now, was : legends of andor(easy learning curve) and mage knight(hard learning curve).
You can also try Dungeons and Dragons(legend of drizzt, wrath of ashardalon, castle ravenloft) for a great solo expedience, with a nice feel of an rpg video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The RTL app provides two campaigns which are soloable if you're willing to control two heroes. The print-on-demand expansion adventures (there are 3) are similarly soloable if you're willing to control two heroes. All of these are cooperative adventures/campaigns, that automate the Overlord player and adjust a few of the base game rules to account for the fact that there's no Overlord.

If you want to play the base game or boxed expansion campaigns solo, there are two very good variants called Redjak's Automated Overlord Variant and Redjak's Automated Monster Variant in the Files section; these two provide card-driven methods of automating the Overlord player or Monsters respectively, and similarly allow you to solo two or more heroes. Both of these however require you to print out some cards to do so.

I've found all three methods fun and very challenging, and play Descent exclusively solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can perfectly solo with two or more heroes and the app campaigns has near 20 possible quests and you need only the core box to play.

I like the dungeons and dragons system, good if you want a easy and light system to play but I consider to simple and shallow on gameplay to my taste.

Descent maybe has a little more rules to learn, but deliver a much more rich experience. Most of my friends bought Descent because the app, and no one regreats. Now they are buying everything .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Leroy
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
RedJak's Automated Monster Variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Kaiser
United States
SEATTLE
WA
flag msg tools
There is a TON of solo content in the 'files' and 'variants' section of this entry on BGG. Redjak does a nice Delven Deep random dungeon crawl which I play a lot and I find his Automated Monster Variant easier to use than the Automated Overlord Variant.

I find playing 4 heroes in solo mode to be difficult as I tend to overlook/forget abilities and scenarios end up "dragging" as I try to remember everything.

Finally, you can download the Vassal extensions and it will essentially eliminate your need for setup and take-down of the game... And allows you to save progress mid-scenario and pick it up again at your convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldar Ironshield
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
gksozae wrote:
There is a TON of solo content in the 'files' and 'variants' section of this entry on BGG. Redjak does a nice Delven Deep random dungeon crawl which I play a lot and I find his Automated Monster Variant easier to use than the Automated Overlord Variant.

I find playing 4 heroes in solo mode to be difficult as I tend to overlook/forget abilities and scenarios end up "dragging" as I try to remember everything.

Finally, you can download the Vassal extensions and it will essentially eliminate your need for setup and take-down of the game... And allows you to save progress mid-scenario and pick it up again at your convenience.

What is this Vassal extensions you speak of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassel is a program that allows you to play boardgames on your computer. It is really only intended for those who own the phyisical game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.