Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who couldn't make it this year, share your experiences, both the good and the bad.

Let us that weren't there live vicariously through your tales.

Funny stories, observations, and strange things seen or experienced are extra welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
For those of us who couldn't make it this year, share your experiences, both the good and the bad.

Let us that weren't there live vicariously through your tales.

Funny stories, observations, and strange things seen or experienced are extra welcome.

I did not have a particularly good con this year. I think the crowds have gotten too much for me to take. The dash for the new Harry Potter card game was the straw that broke this old camel's back, it was shameful and disgusting. I had hoped moving cosplay events to the stadium would have helped but it didn't feel to me like it had any effect at all, and cosplay continues to be a bane in the vendor hall due to photography.

But despite that I'm not going to dwell on the negatives, because it was my 8 year old daughter's first visit and she LOVED it, and her happiness is what kept me going. She dressed in character (Chara from Undertale) and was having such a wonderful time meeting other people dressed similarly. She's not a big gamer but she was taking interest in a lot of things she saw, which was nice to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zarthaniel wrote:
- Mayfair's event hall staffing seemed to be struggling. i had an event scheduled to try the new Agricola, but there was no designated table when i showed up on time. the volunteers were scrambling and seemed to need more support. the event was cancelled due to no other players showing up.

They were short staffed this year. Tried to get more volunteers up to the day before the convention. Hopefully, next year will be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hopkins
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zarthaniel wrote:
i had a great time this year. for me, it's like going to Disney is for other people. i'm local, so i don't have to get a hotel and all that. just paying for parking can be expensive though, but the convenience of a garage attached to the ICC is worth $26 a day in my opinion. i think of it like a fast pass wristband at an amusement park. get it if you can.

the crowds were honestly the largest i have seen, but i was on my own mostly through the day so navigating them was not a big issue. part of the fun i have is just being around all these different types of people and the random conversations you get to have due to proximity. sure, some people aren't the most social, but the interactions always interest me.

highlights for me:

- watching the exhibit hall rush on Thursday from high up on the third floor
- playing my first games of Dungeons & Dragons (which i liked more than expected)
- meeting several BGGers for geekbay auction and virtual flea market exchanges
- Dice Tower Live Show was very entertaining (i laughed out loud quite a bit)
- seeing Sam Healey waiting in line for breakfast at the food court
- completing Mayfair's Knight of Catan quest and getting my 50% coupon
- finally purchasing Caverna (for $45!!) with above mentioned coupon
- the bacon cheeseburger with peanut butter at Scotty's brewhouse
- playing Giant King of Tokyo with several young children and losing
- winning a game of Agricola (Zman version) with a guy who plays there every GenCon
- the auction (didn't buy anything there, but it was so interesting to watch)
- the Klingon folk band

low points for me:

- Will Call line on Wednesday afternoon (it took 75 minutes to get through)
- Mayfair's event hall staffing seemed to be struggling. i had an event scheduled to try the new Agricola, but there was no designated table when i showed up on time. the volunteers were scrambling and seemed to need more support. the event was cancelled due to no other players showing up.
- GenCon's refusal to give me anything but system credit for event ticket returns

overall it was totally a worthwhile experience. got rid of some old games i don't play, and got some new games i've been wanting to play.

acquistions at GenCon:

Caverna (for $45!!)
Galaxy Trucker ($30 used)
Galaxy Trucker: The Big Expansion ($26 new)
Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion ($23 new)
Agricola: Gamer's Deck ($20 used)
Caylus ($20 used)
Bohnanza ($5 used)
No Thanks! ($5 used)
Coup ($5 new)
Chessex random mug-o-dice ($9 for about 50 dice)
King of Tokyo promo cards (free with played event)

Where did you buy the used games from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
We arrived Wednesday and got in the huge as will call line. I normally wouldn't do this, but due to the housing lottery and the gate ten tickets I had to immediately. What pisses me off even more is people buying tickets at the last minute didn't have to go through the gencon registration system and could just pull up in their vehicle and be good to go. It was worth saving $100 over hotel parking regardless, but we shouldn't have had to go through will call to get our parking pass. For dinner we went to the Ram which had solid food and great beer. We took a couple growlers to go.

We had a great Thursday. We had 4 people with 4 different targets and had no problems getting to them. We didn't go for any known unlikely targets like Seafall. I went for Orleans Deluxe and was around 8th in line. My wife went to the CMON booth. My friend's wife went to ZMan for Pandemic Cthulhu and my friend got in line at FFG.

We then played Star Trek Ascendancy which was great. Went back to the dealer hall to shop and was surprised by how easy it was to move around. It didn't seem as crowded as the last time I attended in 2013. I have a feeling this is due to moving a lot of stuff to Lucas Oil. Had Harry and Izzy's for dinner which was excellent.

Friday sucked, I woke up feeling like shit and thought I was just hungry. We had reservations to Fogo de Chao for lunch so we went. It was pretty mediocre. I've been to a lot of Brazlian steakhouse and this was by far the worst food wise. Their caprihinis were the best we've had though. I'm not sure if they give out worse food because its lunch or we are gamers. Lots of meat was tough and we only enjoyed 2 or 3 of the cuts. I thought it was just because I was sick so I didn't complain when I was there, but I asked my wife the next day and she did not enjoy it either and was even more critical than I was. I fell asleep during FFG's in flight report which was just announcing more organized play and dungeon crawlers.

I used to not believe Tom Vasel when he said CMON is going to be the next FFG. FFG is moving to be all about competitive play and dungeon crawlers. Meanwhile CMON is diversifying into a wide variety of games like old FFG was. They even have an older game FFG published Masques now available. I skipped Blood Borne because of sickness and needing to rest it off. I regret not skipping the in flight instead. We went on a beer bus at 6 that was okay. It was not the Gen Con beer bus which looked to be repurposed school busses. These were much more nicely outfitted and departed from Scotty's. Sadly it had obnoxious non-gamers on it. Like really drunk and obnoxious but that is to be expected. After the bus I actually felt pretty good better than I had all day. The wife and I stayed at Scotty's. It was the only good thing about Friday. Great food, beer was pretty good. Awesome atmosphere. Its a priority to go there more than once next time we are in Indy.

Saturday was a good day. I slept in and played Mare Nostrum. Game was excellent. The other players were great to play with. The academy games staff was great at teaching it. I won in a close one as the slot was just about to end. I ended up picking it up in the dealer hall along with some extra stock of kickstarter things. Unlike previous days the dealer hall and surrounding area were are packed and full of asshole cosplayers as I remember. Circles of people in the way posing for photos in front of the dealer hall. But it was quick in and out that day. Did some browsing of games and relaxed a little bit too. Before going to our pedal wagon at 6 we wandered into Lucas Oil to see what it was like. It was kind of dark and weird. It was strange to have no way out and be all underground. There were a good chunk of people which explained where people went. I feel like its a den of outcasts until GenCon takes over the stadium and there are ways in and out of the entire area.

The pedal wagon was great fun and interesting. We got a lot of waves and cheers from some GenConers and others looked at us with disgust. Sort of what I expected depending on the crowd. At the end it went right down capitol in front of the convention center and beer garden. It ended and started at the Tow yard which made it a quick 5 minute walk to the Secret Cabal meetup. It was a blast like usual, but damn its getting crowded. I still think the 2013 one is my favorite. We ended up having to leave a bit early because our pizza we ordered from Giordanos arrived at our hotel early. This was a great idea. The pizza was delicious and they deliver to anywhere around the con.

Then we left. Overall pretty great time. A few let downs. I wish I had gotten a few more games in, but scheduling events was a real challenge this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a good experience overall. My events were good. Second year in a row I have done a cryptozoic event and this will probably be the last. The people running their events aren't good. I hate cosplayers more and more every year. I think they lead to a lot of the overcrowding. They need to do something to get them out from the main hallway in front of the exhibition hall. The exhibit hall was better this year with the expansion. Though it would be even better if they moved demos out of the hall. And even better if they were ticketed events ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schelling
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year was my first Gen Con. Went with two good friends that had also never been. We only went for one day on Saturday, so we didn't buy any event tickets and planned to spend the whole day in the vendor hall. It was quite overwhelming, but we had an absolute blast, and we can't wait to go all 4 days next year!
It's about a two hour drive to get there from where we live. We arrived in Indy about two hours before the dealer hall opened. Found a lot to park in right next to Lucas Oil for $10. Will call line only had a few people in it, so didn't take long at all to get our badges and claim a spot in front of the dealer hall entrance. I expected a stampede as the doors opened, but was actually not bad. I never once was pushed, shoved or anything like that. We had a plan and a route already mapped out beforehand, so we halfway knew where we were going first. The main game I wanted was sold out so we moved along and I picked up a pre order I had made. We made our way through to our most wanted booths and met up with some other friends who were at the con. We expected it to be very difficult and slow moving from booth to booth, but moved around the hall faster than we thought. Of course there were some areas worse than others, but nothing so bad that it made it unenjoyable. Purchased quite a few games and had a blast demoing and just seeing all the great games and talking with people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
I had a good experience overall. My events were good. Second year in a row I have done a cryptozoic event and this will probably be the last. The people running their events aren't good. I hate cosplayers more and more every year. I think they lead to a lot of the overcrowding. They need to do something to get them out from the main hallway in front of the exhibition hall. The exhibit hall was better this year with the expansion. Though it would be even better if they moved demos out of the hall. And even better if they were ticketed events ahead of time.

Can't agree more! I had mistakenly thought moving cosplay stuff to Lucas Oil meant they were moving ALL cosplay there, but no it was the same nonsense in the main hallway.

I know it's become a big draw of the con, and I'm not even *against* cosplay per se, but it continues to increasingly have a negative impact on people who are there to actually play games instead of play dress up. It just seems to me that having cosplay focused in the stadium and games in the convention center would be ideal for both camps. Sure, still have the Saturday parade through the hall etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some fun things/thoughts:

- I arrived in Wednesday afternoon and had the opportunity to play a game of Scythe arranged through the Find-a-Game Geeklist. I then went to the unofficial Secret Cabal meetup at the Yardhouse, had a nice meal and some beers, and then played another game of Scythe with some guys I met there, which was most awesome.

- I was able to play my two most-anticipated games of the con, Tyrants of the Underdark and Cry Havoc, and I picked them both up. Very fun games, and I'm glad to have them.

- I think expanding the exhibit hall made a huge difference. I know a few earlier posts mentioned crowding, but this was my fifth Gen Con, and truly, the only day that seemed too crowded was Saturday. There just seemed to be a lot more room in the hall.

- Whoever came up with the game Box of Rocks is a genius. It is just a dumb, fun little activity, but it was a hit with whoever I showed it to and will probably get played at every get-together I have for the next 5 years. I'm sure they made a ton of money on that game.

- AEG's Big Game Night was a huge disappointment. This is my fifth time there, as well, and although the swag box has gotten smaller each time, this year was truly ridiculous. Getting into the Big Game Night used to be awesome because you could end up with an exclusive foil box of a fun game, or win a raffle, etc, but to receive a half-empty box of mostly empty boxes was just stupid. I enjoyed playing a few games there, as usual, but I won't plan on attending it next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian VanNatta
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time going, and I doubt I'll be returning, and here's why:

Leading up I was building up the hype in my head, and maybe I shouldn't have done that. Maybe that is what led to the overall "Meh" I feel now. Wednesday, hop in the car, and drive for 6 hours, check into hotel and get rest for the fun the next day.
Thursday, Wake up early, head over stand in front of the doors like everyone else hoping to get the HP game only to get there as fast as possible and seeing it was sold out. Lose all hope of getting it at all. Head to L99 games to get their promo for Millennium Blades, find out already getting them since I kickstarted the second printing (and no demos, so still don't know if I'll like it). Head to the Dice Tower booth to get some of their promos, and then start wandering the hall. Fast forward a few hours, leave to eat, cousin goes back to hotel, and I play a prototype in the CAH room.
Day 1: Games played: 1, Games (and expansions) bought: 4
Friday: Show up around 10, HP game still sold out, get come generic event tickets, wander around looking for open games, find none, head to Dice Tower Live, eat, and drop cousin back off at hotel before making the nearly 2 mile trip from my pre-paid parking spot to the Concertagainsthumanity concert in 30 minutes and 80 degree heat.
Day 2: Games played: 0
Saturday, wiped from concert show up noon-ish, play Cards against humanity, meet a new friend who only has a day pass and never been there before. Since she was by herself and I was going to be (Cousin planned to leave later that day), I show her around the vendor hall (get into a demo of Last Friday somehow), we eat, then I decide ya know. I want to actually play more games, and head to the Rio Grande room, play 2 games of dominion dark ages, then we wander the main game hall, and happen upon someone with open spots for secret hitler (one of my day 1 purchases, but haven't been able to get a spot/group to play with). Play 4 games with 7 and 8 people. Then wander around again, hoping lightning strikes twice.
Day 3, Games played 8
Sunday: Sore and tired, we get there at 10, straight to HP, still sold out, we turn around and head home for another 6 hour car ride.

All told, I played 6 different games for a total of 10 played games, and went to 2 events, 1 of which wasn't included in the price of the 4 day pass. I've gone to small conventions (like around 300-500 people) and played more games than playing with 66k people. I'm less likely to strike up a random conversation, and maybe that's why I didn't have as many games as I hoped, but I think the size is a determent. It felt more "buy games" than "play games", but the games for sale were sold out before the doors opened. I was happy to get Secret Hitler, as I wasn't expecting it to be there, but I think I'll be going to Origins next year. From what I've heard it's easier to find and play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akden wrote:
- AEG's Big Game Night was a huge disappointment. This is my fifth time there, as well, and although the swag box has gotten smaller each time, this year was truly ridiculous. Getting into the Big Game Night used to be awesome because you could end up with an exclusive foil box of a fun game, or win a raffle, etc, but to receive a half-empty box of mostly empty boxes was just stupid. I enjoyed playing a few games there, as usual, but I won't plan on attending it next year.

It's hard to believe it could be worse than last year. I was so thoroughly disappointed last year that I swore never again. I also found it very interesting that starting Saturday they had copies of the Big Game Night box for sale at the AEG booth for $40. I'm pretty sure that's what I paid for my ticket last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rogers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time back since 2013. Definitely a mix bag, but overall I enjoyed the con.

The Good:
I was lucky enough to get Seafall.
The Dice Tower Live was awesome
Getting to talk with Rodney Smith about podcasting.
Meeting the Dice Tower guys
Playing Guadalcanal
The wonderful person who turned in my cellphone to lost and found
The terrific people who let me join their games at both Mayfair area and Rio Grande room.
Dan the Bard
Promos,promos,promos
Lunch Friday (stromboli and d20 rye)
Games acquired: comflict of heroes, thebes, colonia, 51st State, Star Realms expansions x4, Valley of the Kings: Last Rites, Shinobi Clans (amazing game that went under radar), Dark Seas, Tides of Madness, City of Spies, and the afore mentioned Seafall.
Playing Guardians and Hero Realms (games I kickstarted)
Trade day demos: esp. HABA games and Shinobi Clans
Trade day session on game design literacy unit

the Bad:
Cosplayers (though in truth I loved some of the costumes -Space Wolves- just too much disruption)
Terrible session leaders
Lack of staff organization at the early access point
Difficulty of finding games to play as a single gamer
General lack of courtesy and consideration in hall, corridors and events.
Buying city of spies BUT getting into conversation with Mr Bonacour and forgetting to buy Dragon &Flagon which subsequently sold out.
Lines

Overall it was a very good con. While others complained about crowd size, I actually thought it was easier to move around than back in 2013. I can't attend next year but am looking forward to 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first year attending Gen Con and my only previous experience has been at Origins (the past 3 years), so many of my pros and cons will be compared to what I've experienced at Origins.

Pros:

- Played or demoed 25 new (to me) games
- Purchased 11 games, including Terraforming Mars, Council of Blackthorn, and Vast: The Crystal Caverns (wasn't interested in Seafall, Scythe, HP)
- Got an Unusual Suspects card of myself printed at the CMON booth
- The auction was lots of fun; I picked up a few older games there
- The food truck options can be hit or miss, but I had mostly great food all week/end
- The Dice Tower Live was a great time
- Many more publishers and new games than Origins
- More promos to pick up than at Origins
- Parking was easier than I though it would be
- Everyone I met was extremely friendly

Cons:

- The will call line was obnoxious, but this is partly my fault for registering in July.
- More expensive than Origins (lodging and badge)
- The crowds were extremely frustrating at times, especially Saturday.
- There are extensive lines just to get into the major publishers' booths
- Gaming library in Room 101 was more expensive (because it's broken into smaller sessions) and less fun than CABS library (raffles, etc.)
- Too many rolling suitcases and farts in the exhibit hall
- The guys at Rio Grande keep trying to sell me Spin Monkeys; even at $20, I still don't want it.
- GMs sometimes didn't know the rules well and/or wandered off to another table after we started the game leaving us stranded with questions

In summary, I had lots of fun but it's a MUCH bigger convention than Origins which was frustrating at times. I'm less into the cosplay and peripheral cultural elements and more about the gaming, so I personally prefer attending Origins, which is a much more relaxed atmosphere (and 4 hours less driving for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Gencon

Pros:
- I got into one of Angel from Corvus Bellis painting classes
- BGG Hot games room was great (Via Nebula, Lotus and The Networks were favorites)
- Got a great deal on 4ground's terrain
- Demoed the new Halo Miniature's game and bought it!
- Got the first public demo of FFG's new Rune Wars miniature game
- Secret Cabal meetup post 9pm (people cleared out and we had space to drink and play)
-Almost all the ICC and Gencon staff were super nice and helpful

Cons:
- Customer Service and Will call line
- True Dungeon was a crap experience and a waste of money. Alpha gamers and indifferent GM's, and not enough to do for each player made it meh.
- Secret Cabal meetup pre 9pm (it was too damn packed and there was a line due to fire code)
- Watching a group in the Hot games room all holding on to a different hot game at their table while playing something else.
- Oh god the bathrooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
Akden wrote:

It's hard to believe it could be worse than last year. I was so thoroughly disappointed last year that I swore never again. I also found it very interesting that starting Saturday they had copies of the Big Game Night box for sale at the AEG booth for $40. I'm pretty sure that's what I paid for my ticket last year.

It's called "Big Game Night" not "Big Storage Box Night"

The Game Box could not have been more disappointing this year (I've attended two previous game nights). A large box filled with two smaller boxes. One of the two were completely empty "To Store your AEG micro games!" and the other one had three micro games (one of which was Love Letter -which was already owned by everyone who cares to own it --including me).

I like micro games on occasion, but 1 decent "real" full-size game would have been easy to pull off. As I think about it, I'm wondering whether AEG is simply trying to reduce expectations for game night quickly (by giving us empty storage boxes). It was so awesome the first two years, and AEG doesn't want that kind of expense or pressure. The teachers were great but the rest of the experience was a fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Soper
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEG night was a bust. Swag and Raffle was minimal compared to tales from last year. The games....well reminded me that I don't like most of AEG's games. The demo team was awesome and I appreciate their help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to derail the thread but it is interesting to read about the coplaying. It sounds like theyes need a comic or anime convention locally to accommodate that rather than those folks doing it at a board gaming convention. For where I live it is the opposite, those cons take center stage and the tabletop stuff is tacked on as supplement entertainment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Gencon

Pros:

- Getting to meet Tom Vassal and Sam Healy. Both were extremely nice.
- I was demoing Grifters and Flashpoint for Indie Games and enjoyed meeting
everyone that played.
- Seeing all the cool games being played.

Cons:

- Vendor room closing at 6pm. I wish it was just open an hour longer. Working 10-6 everyday in Hall D didn't give me too much time to run
through the vendor room.
- Plaid Hat Games for selling out of Seafall before the door opened on Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick S
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time attending this year (first con ever, actually), I actually left within about 45 minutes of the dealer hall opening. I couldn't handle the crowds. Thankfully, I went back after spending 3 hours walking around Indy and getting a beer and some lunch. The crowds had thinned a bit and I began to figure out how the whole thing worked.

I didn't get event tickets and when I looked on my phone most things I'd have liked to have done were sold out. So ... I ended up just walking around the dealer hall until it closed. I didn't really play much just because I didn't feel like hovering / standing around for who knows how long to get a game of something I was interested in. I discovered the CSI ding and dent section, and passed on the RoftG expansion, which was gone when I decided to go back for it. Don't really remember what we did after the dealer hall closed.

Friday was better, I felt it was the least busy day there. In morning and early afternoon, I bought Bloodborne and Order of the Gilded Compass. In the afternoon I played some games with my friends -- Bloodborne, Rumble in the Dungeon, Burgle Bros, and 5p Scythe. We spent the night out on the town.

Saturday I got up early and wandered the event hall - watched a couple demos that were happening with podcast people. The dealer hall was really busy again, so I didn't spend much time there - though I did make another pass at the CSI ding and dent. Not only did they have lots of copies of the RoftG expansion to choose from, but there also was a copy of Between Two Cities (I'd been waiting for a sale), so I picked those up for a combined $38. BTC had a huge crease in the top cover which sucked, but nothing was torn so I guess it's ok. The CSI bag was awesome too ... I may have been more excited about that than the actual games. Now I have something to carry games in =) I also played a demo of Grifters (AMAZING, but sold out by then) and Gloomhaven (didn't like it).

Saturday night I taught Rebellion to a friend that bought it, but I was so tired I wasn't even looking at the probe cards I was drawing ... I just tossed them to the side. We played for 2.5 hours or so before calling it since we wanted to leave early on Sunday. That's longer than any other game of Rebellion I've played (2 plays previously) and really gave me a better chance to evaluate the game ... I need to revise my rating upward. I loved it.

Final Verdict
Now that I know what to expect, I'll probably return next year if I can get someone to go with me. I like that there's loads of games to purchase and you can walk next door to find a table to play them on. On the other hand, buying games there is expensive because most new releases are at MSRP and I have a hard time paying that when I know I could wait 2-3 weeks and save $36 (I'm looking at you, Star Trek Ascendancy).

Lastly, I hate Pokemon Go. That is all. They should require hazard signs on people playing because they just randomly stop in the middle of the sidewalk to do whatever it is they need to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:
Sizzla wrote:
Akden wrote:

It's called "Big Game Night" not "Big Storage Box Night"

The Game Box could not have been more disappointing this year (I've attended two previous game nights). A large box filled with two smaller boxes. One of the two were completely empty "To Store your AEG micro games!" and the other one had three micro games (one of which was Love Letter -which was already owned by everyone who cares to own it --including me).

I like micro games on occasion, but 1 decent "real" full-size game would have been easy to pull off. As I think about it, I'm wondering whether AEG is simply trying to reduce expectations for game night quickly (by giving us empty storage boxes). It was so awesome the first two years, and AEG doesn't want that kind of expense or pressure. The teachers were great but the rest of the experience was a fail.

reposting here.

I just don't understand the thought behind this. This is my third BGN missed last year) and by far the most disappointing. The first one I attended had games that were BGN exclusive (gold foil Smash up) I won one of the regular raffle prizes and won Thunderstone and all it's expansions. Most raffle prizes that night were games with expansions. This year they were all single games. The second year I received a couple other exclusives and new releases in the box including Guildhall (new release), an exclusive board for Trains and another gold foil BGN exclusive Smash Up expansion.)

This year if you did not go to the big game night, you could buy the boxes for $40 at the AEG booth. The big deal about that night was getting new games or expansions that were exclusive and that was the only place you could get them. It really made you feel like you were lucky to get into the event.

Another issue was the crowd. We only ended up playing Valley of the kings three times and then, because we had a group of five, could not find anything else to play.

Actually, the best game we played all night was called "Disappointment and Confusion" We laughed as we watched the later arrivals open there boxes and stand there dazed after four of them were empty.

To me this is huge mistake for AEG. They were known for this, Everyone loved AEG BGN. Nothing can come out of this except bad press. I think that by trying to save some money, they will hurt their image in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think the crowds were that bad. I guess I'm used to going to New York Comic Con which has more people going with less space. The vendor area at Gen Con didn't seem that overwhelming or crowded compared to the vendor area at Comic Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longly wrote:

All told, I played 6 different games for a total of 10 played games, and went to 2 events, 1 of which wasn't included in the price of the 4 day pass. I've gone to small conventions (like around 300-500 people) and played more games than playing with 66k people. I'm less likely to strike up a random conversation, and maybe that's why I didn't have as many games as I hoped, but I think the size is a determent. It felt more "buy games" than "play games", but the games for sale were sold out before the doors opened. I was happy to get Secret Hitler, as I wasn't expecting it to be there, but I think I'll be going to Origins next year. From what I've heard it's easier to find and play games.

I still don't understand posts like these. There was SO MANY open gaming events/rooms this year. Why didn't you sign up for any if you just wanted to play games? Did you buy tickets to the open gaming library? The BGG hot games room? Nerd night? Stonemaier game night? Anything?

If you want to do open gaming at the convention, you need to buy tickets for the Isle of Misfit events. The dealers hall is only a tiny fraction of the convention, you need to wander away from it to play games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:
Not to derail the thread but it is interesting to read about the coplaying. It sounds like theyes need a comic or anime convention locally to accommodate that rather than those folks doing it at a board gaming convention. For where I live it is the opposite, those cons take center stage and the tabletop stuff is tacked on as supplement entertainment.

But many of these people are also playing games. They should be allowed to dress up if they want. I played many board games with people in costumes, they aren't mutually exclusive.

The stadium area for True Dungeon/Anime/Cosplay events had some great open gaming tables full of cosplayers...playing board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
So no high weirdness? No funny stories? No interesting encounters?goo

Something had to happen besides the AEG Big Box fiasco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pacemaker 67
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:

DAMN STRAIGHT D&D should remain the focus of GenCon! Magic and the other CCGs are fine, but this is an RPG convention.... Let the Magic players get their own!

always someone complaining about how someone else is invading their convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.