Magic Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Options for Generating Color Magic in a Clearing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the various methods by which any particular color magic is generated in a clearing?

1. The week's end colors
2. Enchanting a tile
3. Some treasures
4. Some travelers (if you're using Expansion 1 in Realmspeak - a minor daemon that you can capture, and that emits black magic, comes to mind)
5. Some characters (if you're using optional characters - the Fairy emits gold colored magic, for instance)

Is that it? There's no way for a magic using character to create a color of magic in his/her clearing other than enchanting the entire time, right?

Is there some way to imbue certain treasures with a color of magic, which will subsequently be emitted by that treasure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one Treasure-within-Treasure Site that provides Black Magic, the Toadstool Circle.

The Chapel emits White Magic constantly.

Your list basically covers everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
You left out enchanting a magic chit. This is different than your #2 enchanting a tile.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will that actually create color magic in the clearing, or just for the individual doing the enchanting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
Freedom of Speech means that the Government can't imprison you for what you say, not that the rest of us can't tell you to shut up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enchanting a chit is only beneficial to the user and does not generate magic for the whole clearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
Enchanting a chit is only beneficial to the user and does not generate magic for the whole clearing.

True, but rule 8.3.9 seems to say that a character can use his own color chit to activate a permanent spell on any character in the cleaning, not just his own permanent spell.

So it doesn't provide color to the whole cleaning, but color can be used as a weapon to activate an unwanted permanent spell against another character.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
srschacher wrote:
robertg611 wrote:

True, but rule 8.3.9 seems to say that a character can use his own color chit to activate a permanent spell on any character in the cleaning, not just his own permanent spell.

So it doesn't provide color to the whole cleaning, but color can be used as a weapon to activate an unwanted permanent spell against another character.

Steve

I'm pretty sure that only works if you are the original caster of the spell that you are energizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
srschacher wrote:
robertg611 wrote:

Steve

I'm pretty sure that only works if you are the original caster of the spell that you are energizing.

Rules v3 8.3.9.a.1 wrote:

a.1) The character energizes a spell only if the spell’s target is in his clearing and he plays a chit that supplies the color magic required by that spell. If there are several spells requiring that color in his clearing, he can energize any one he wants. He has total control over his color chits: he is never forced to play a chit to energize a spell, even if he is the target. He can energize other spells in the clearing without energizing his own, if he wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not know that. I just tried it in realmspeak and it works!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey how about that. Yeah I wasn't sure about that either. Super kudos to Robin for getting that kind of detail right in Realmspeak!

I also wasn't really sure if there was a way to use an artifact to store colored magic that would cause the entire clearing to be a certain color magic. But it looks like the most you can do is convert a spell book to a color chit, which you could use as mentioned above to activate your own or other's spells.

But, the , from Realmspeaks perspective, if I'm the sorcerer and I play a purple magic chit, does the clearing I'm in then have purple magic?

The reason I'm asking (and of course I can go test this, and probably will) is that I was putting together a quest for the Questing game and thought it'd be fun to have a requirement to, for example, go to the Chapel and then conduct a search (maybe in the adjoining graveyard) in the presence of black magic. But I wouldn't want such a requirement to restrict accomplishment of the task to either one day in a month (many months have no black magic days, I think) or to having a treasure like the Cloven Hoof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.