Subject: "Dance of the Aurora Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Watson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hi,

In the two 4-player games I have played, I have won both games by landslides. The scores were:

Game 1: Me, 39, 20, 15, 8
Game 2: Me, 46, 15, 15, 11.

I focused upon a strategy I'll call "Dance of the Aurora." Here's how it works:

Your goal is to nullify enough cursed lands so that you can play your whole deck each turn. Don't worry about hawks, cobras, or any other animal that adds a curse. You only have 9 cursed vales in a deck, and you are permitted three, and so the goal of this strategy is to remove the other six, and thereby allowing you to play at least 12 cards per turn near the end.

Here's what to buy each tier:

Level 1:
Peacekeeper Druid, and put on a cursed vale.
Deadwood Harvester, and put on a blank or fertile soil. These cards are amazing, equivalent to a grassland at one less cost.
Grassland, and put on a cursed vale. Yes, you lost the production, but the strategy of this build is to prevent busting first.
Earthchant Chorus, and put on a blank. Turning this card over is a free fertile soil later, and an excellent place to put the critical Aurora.

Level 2:
Bear totem, and put on a cursed vale. Bear totems are amazing, but at the start buy a grassland and fertile soil instead.
Lifebringer seed, and put on a cursed vale.

Level 3:
Calm Weather, and put on a cursed vale.
Aurora, and put anywhere aside from a cursed vale.

General tactics (in order of importance, most important at the top):

After the first round, risk busting as little as possible (the Peacekeeper Druid is excellent at preventing this). Your engine comes from drawing lots of cards, but produce until the very end. I busted three times in my first game, and only once in my second. Count the number of cards you have remaining, and the number of cursed vales in your discard pile, and unless your odds are better than 3:1, just buy a fertile soil.

Only buy cards with extra curses on a card with a Lifebringer seed, and even then only if no better play is possible. Such cards are counterproductive to this strategy.

Always place fertile soils on blank cards or cards already containing a fertile soil. One card with three fertile soils is much better than three cards with one, especially when you are trying to discard cards.

Avoid cards like Grovetender and Gaia's Chosen. With this engine, a Bear Totem and Aurora are better.

You won't see many points until the very end, and in both games I earned over half of my points in the last two rounds.

Don't worry about the vales. If you pick up a few at the end, hooray, but otherwise there's nothing special enough about them.

Getting an aurora is certainly the killing blow, but even if you don't you'll be able to play over half of your deck per turn, and preventing busting late in the game is critical. I hope this strategy helps, and please let me know whether such is a legitimate tactic, or I just got very lucky.

Happy trails,
-The Strategy Snail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
BoardGamePheasant wrote:
You won't see many points until the very end, and in both games I earned over half of my points in the last two rounds.

This makes a "Glass Cannon", i.e. your strategy is fragile, dependent on a long game. Your opponents may rush the game by buying green VP tokens. Anyway. very interesting!

Indeed. I have won our three 2 players game by focusing on building good Feral Chieftain VP generators and other VP cards and won fast. Third game had me get lots of VP Vale cards.

My opponent had Aurora the three times and it was too slow to do anything, only netting 5 points total.

Now maybe this would change with more players, but I doubt it, as you only had a mere 5 points per player, and VP advancements are bound to get bought and played more often.

What did your opponents buy? Because the meta is almost more important than your strategy in that kind of games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Growley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
IMO putting the peace symbol cards on blanks is better than putting them on cursed lands. This is because of the deadwood harvester and other discard cards. You want to use those cards on cursed lands obviously, so if more cursed lands have peace on them, those discard a card in your field cards are less effective and could give you an unlucky situation where you don;t have a cursed land to discard when you play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to see a thread on this game about strategy instead of people bashing it. I really enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Watson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
My opponents tended to go for production cards and a mix of vp and safety cards. I remember the hawk, mindful owl, and plow being favorites, a hawks coming up on a cursed vale causing a bust. I would like to try more a more heavily Grovetender based strategy. I fully acknowledge the Dance of the Aurora make have been broken by misplays by my opponents, but they are veteran gamers too, and I don't think their actions were overly reckless.

However, I did gobble up bear totems in the mid game, and so that bonus alone may have been the deciding factor. I noticed Feral Chieftains should be able to generate oodles of points too, and so I'll try to follow such strategy next time I play.

-The Strategy Snail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question:
The best you can get from Aurora is 9 VP, amirte?
You need to have a deckcard, so even a hyper fast deck (which can make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs) ends at 19 cards showing. Which makes each Aurora worth 9 VPs.

I tried it yesterday and netted 25 VPs in my last round (The 2 last open VPs and the rest from the box), 2 Auroras (18), 2 advancments (4 VP) and a 3 VP vale bought. More than half my end score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
Related question:
The best you can get from Aurora is 9 VP, amirte?
You need to have a deckcard, so even a hyper fast deck (which can make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs) ends at 19 cards showing. Which makes each Aurora worth 9 VPs.

I tried it yesterday and netted 25 VPs in my last round (The 2 last open VPs and the rest from the box), 2 Auroras (18), 2 advancments (4 VP) and a 3 VP vale bought. More than half my end score.

An Aurora can net 10 points if you can cancel 6 decay symbols. Just put all your cards into play.

If you need to have a card on top of your deck, then I'm not aware of that and didnt' see it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.