Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Chainsaw op'd? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Doyle
Canada
flag msg tools
Just started playing DoW:the long night and was wondering if someone could clear up the chainsaw for me. How often can you attack with the chainsaw? On the card it's not limited to how many time you can use it as long as you have fuel to fill it, so I gather you don't have to use dice to use it, correct? Do you also resolve the noise counters as you would if you spent noise tokens searching? Thanks in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the chainsaw, you start with 3 noise tokens. You don't need a dice to use. You just remove a noise token to take out a zombie at that survivors location. Then place that .kiss token at the location in the noise space. You can keep using as long as there is space in the noise token spot. If you run out of noise tokens, just add more fuel and go again.

When adding zombies during the add zombies colony phase, each noise token means a 50% chance of adding another zombie. That is the trade off. A free zombie kill (or more) but then possibly having more zombies show up later due to all the noise. It doesn't matter if they are noise tokens from searching or from the chainsaw, they all resolve the same way.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Doyle
Canada
flag msg tools
Ahhh I see now, was just confused because we used it at the colony and there were no spots to put the noise tokens but I guess we just count them no matter where they are. Thanks again for the info, makes it not so op'd anymore lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So... no hand removal needed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NDGRaven wrote:
Ahhh I see now, was just confused because we used it at the colony and there were no spots to put the noise tokens but I guess we just count them no matter where they are. Thanks again for the info, makes it not so op'd anymore lol


When you say "count them no matter where they are" what do you mean?

Because you don't roll for extra zombies at the colony due to noise tokens. That's why the shotgun and the chainsaw are great weapons for survivors who stay at the colony and don't help search. It would still cost a fuel for every three noise tokens though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Chua wrote:
So... no hand removal needed?

Not unless you want to use the boomstick also
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
NDGRaven wrote:
Ahhh I see now, was just confused because we used it at the colony and there were no spots to put the noise tokens but I guess we just count them no matter where they are. Thanks again for the info, makes it not so op'd anymore lol


When you say "count them no matter where they are" what do you mean?

Because you don't roll for extra zombies at the colony due to noise tokens. That's why the shotgun and the chainsaw are great weapons for survivors who stay at the colony and don't help search. It would still cost a fuel for every three noise tokens though.


Yeah, noise tokens are placed at the location you make noise in. They are counted at the end of each round, but only toward the location they are at. I MAY be wrong about not being able to use the chainsaw or shotgun once the location is full of noise already. I am assuming the rules are the same as searching, in that once noise is full you can't do any more. But maybe not. You may be able to go hard with noisy weapons once noise is already maxed out. Just like how you can use those things at the colony without worrying about any noise at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Doyle
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes I was talking about using the noise tokens at the colony for the chainsaw. If you don't use noise tokens at the colony , the chainsaw does seem op'd. I only say this because we had the mission where you had to have more survivors than zombies at the colony. So once a survivor got the chainsaw it became a slaughterhouse. We could just trade fuel with the survivor for an easy win, no? Poor zombies didn't stand a chance. zombie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacky Blue
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
You can keep using as long as there is space in the noise token spot.


- this suggests that you cant use the chainsaw at the colony as there are no noise token spots available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NDGRaven wrote:
Yes I was talking about using the noise tokens at the colony for the chainsaw. If you don't use noise tokens at the colony , the chainsaw does seem op'd. I only say this because we had the mission where you had to have more survivors than zombies at the colony. So once a survivor got the chainsaw it became a slaughterhouse. We could just trade fuel with the survivor for an easy win, no? Poor zombies didn't stand a chance. zombie


I don't think it's going to seem as overpowered with other main objectives, but it is handy to help keep the colony clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Crous
msg tools
Dave Chua wrote:
So... no hand removal needed?


I'm sorry to answer an old thread, but I felt you were robbed by not getting more praise for this comment
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.