I just got finished with a game and have a few questions regarding Mexican generals Santa Ana and Valencia since the rules state that both cannot be in play at the same time.
1) Does Valencia start in the Mexican pool of generals or get placed but a special event or card?
2) Does Santa Ana start off-map in exile? Does he come on through a card play, and get exiled through card play? Does he return through dice rolls?
3) If he comes into play, do you immediately remove Valencia?
4) Bonus question: it seems the Mexican player through event card play or his first Strategy card play will usually place a raid marker in an inland Texas space to put the non-baggage train Texas force out of supply. Following this he will play a supply event which will cause the Texan to lose half his force. The US can't seem to stop it. Anyone have any advice?
1) I am on my 5th play and have only brought in Valencia once when Santana was exiled by card play. Valencia goes directly in Santana's space once he leaves it for his own version of Elba. However, I am, like you, interested to know if I've been playing it wrong since Santana is exiled to begin the game (So, yes, he starts in the exile box off-map). I hope someone can answer that question: Since Santana is exiled to start, is Valencia in the leader pool? I am thinking he is not since I recall reading that Valencia is Santana's replacement counter, much like how other leaders are flipped over if killed. Clarification would still be great.
2) Yes, see above. He can come back through card play, dice rolls, and IIRC U.S. declaration of war (with 8 free units), which is the only possible reason I can think of that the U.S. player would even consider not declaring war ASAP. Yes, he is exiled again by card.
3) Yes, remove Valencia
4) I thought the same thing the first time I played. See U.S. supply source. I believe it is any Texas space. So, your fears are for naught.