Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, just to be sure... Our old friend Ragnarok says that upon a Master Strike, each player calls out "Zero" or "Not Zero", and discards those cards. So, if I've got all Agents/Troopers, and I call out "Not Zero", I don't discard? It almost seems to me that this would help almost as much as it would hinder. Have I got this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Ragnarok's Master Strike may very well be the most nerfed, limited danger of them all.

The only case where he'd be useful is if your scenario happened after a few rounds in and you want to get some stronger cards. Again though, that only helps you....it's like he doesn't really want to hurt you at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording isn't tight enough on if I discard based only on what I call, or what everyone calls. So if one player calls Zero and one Non-Zero everyone discards their hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
The wording isn't tight enough on if I discard based only on what I call, or what everyone calls. So if one player calls Zero and one Non-Zero everyone discards their hands.

If that's the case, what's preventing us in deciding from the start of the game what everyone calls?

"Hey guys, let's all call Zero so that we do not have to discard our entire hands?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is analagous to Nimrod's master strike where you have to choose to discard your recruit or your attack cards, except in this instance you choose to discard your zero-cost or your non-zero cost cards. With most hands in the game this will mean discarding some cards, except early/late game where you might have a full hand of one or the other.

I'll admit it's not a very powerful master strike, but I don't see how it actively helps you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Deslauriers
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
but I don't see how it actively helps you?

Yeah, since you don't replace those discarded cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ovidutz wrote:
yaverot wrote:

If that's the case, what's preventing us in deciding from the start of the game what everyone calls?

Addressing what you meant (players discuss before declaration, or just part of normal table talk, changing as needed), instead of what you said (before game):
1. Nothing, it is a co-op game.

Quote:
"Hey guys, let's all call Zero so that we do not have to discard our entire hands?"

2. It is often better to lose the single 2/// card instead of the rest of the hand of SHIELD recruit. Possibly discard my rare to heal 5 wounds.

3. Rowan the Accuser, Deadpool's Rare, and one of Hawkeye's cards indicate the desire by UD to allow players to mess with each other, even outside of the Villains line.

4. Nimrod is proof that they already know how to word the effect if they intended for your decision to only affect you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why you think the wording is ambiguous regarding your choice affecting other players?

Are you suggesting that if there are two players and one says 'Zero' and the other says 'Non-Zero' then both players have to discard all their cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the exact wording on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb

This seems clear to me, at least. Each player makes a choice, do they want to discard all of their zero-cost cards, or all of their non-zero-cost cards. Early game, you would likely say "non-zero" so that you would only loose one card or so. Later, you would probably say "zero", to discard 2 or 3 starter cards. Each player can make a different choice, and their choices only effect themselves.

Edit: Sorry for the size of the image, I don't know how to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LocutusZero wrote:

This seems clear to me, at least. Each player makes a choice, do they want to discard all of their zero-cost cards, or all of their non-zero-cost cards. Early game, you would likely say "non-zero" so that you would only loose one card or so. Later, you would probably say "zero", to discard 2 or 3 starter cards. Each player can make a different choice, and their choices only effect themselves.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I'm not sure why you think the wording is ambiguous regarding your choice affecting other players?

Are you suggesting that if there are two players and one says 'Zero' and the other says 'Non-Zero' then both players have to discard all their cards?

Yes. If everyone doesn't make the same choice, then everyone discards all their cards. That is the most likely reason for choosing the wording "each player... each player" instead of "each player... that player"

But it is still more ambiguous than choosing the wording "each player... all players", because it implies that they might have meant the "that player" wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
LocutusZero wrote:
Each player makes a choice, do they want to discard all of their zero-cost cards, or all of their non-zero-cost cards. Early game, you would likely say "non-zero" so that you would only loose one card or so. Later, you would probably say "zero", to discard 2 or 3 starter cards. Each player can make a different choice, and their choices only effect themselves.

This is what I thought too... any official word on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.