GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Knights Crimson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
So most monsters have very simple logic:

IF condition A is true, do X
OTHERWISE do Y

Villains are a bit more complex:

IF condition A is true, do X
IF condition B is true, do Y
OTHERWISE do Z

We ran into a question today regarding whether these conditional statements should be read using AND or OR logic. In other words, does the Villain execute all Tactics lines for which the condition is true, or does it only execute the first Tactics line for which the condition is true?

The presence of an OTHERWISE condition would tend to imply that you only execute the first Tactics line for which the stated condition is true. Otherwise (so the speak), the usage of the OTHERWISE line becomes ambiguous. EG, which line does the OTHERWISE apply to? Any of the conditional lines? All of them? Only the last one?

On the other hand, some villains have multiple Tactics lines that seem like they should be triggered separately... Take Arkashic Thunn for example. His top 2 Tactics lines are:

* If Arkashic Thunn is on a tile with a Hero, it attacks each Hero on that tile with a Blast of Fire.
* If Arkashic Thunn is on a tile with a Monster, that monster activates.

I may be overthinking it, but because the first line has to do with Arkashic Thunn's attacks and the second has to do with his affect on other monsters, it seems like both of these were intended to (potentially) trigger separately.

I was unable to find any other threads on this question. Hopefully someone has an authoritative knowledge on the intention of this mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

You stop after finding the first action that can be executed.

So, evaluate each if/then in order, then execute the first one that evaluates true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knights Crimson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
You're probably correct.

That said, is there something I've missed in the rules, FAQ, or somewhere else that backs up this assertion? I'm just trying to determine if it's authoritative or simply the interpretation of a single gamer.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
knightscrimson wrote:

On the other hand, some villains have multiple Tactics lines that seem like they should be triggered separately... Take Arkashic Thunn for example. His top 2 Tactics lines are:

* If Arkashic Thunn is on a tile with a Hero, it attacks each Hero on that tile with a Blast of Fire.
* If Arkashic Thunn is on a tile with a Monster, that monster activates.

Just wanted to give you a rules reference. Pg 11.

Note that it mentions that once a step has been executed, the monster doesn't take anymore actions.

So in Thunn's case above, you only execute one. The strategy is in determining if you want a hero on that tile with him when his activation comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
knightscrimson wrote:
You're probably correct.

That said, is there something I've missed in the rules, FAQ, or somewhere else that backs up this assertion? I'm just trying to determine if it's authoritative or simply the interpretation of a single gamer.

Thanks!

Certainly!
Pg11, Tactics, bullet points 1,2 and 4 respectively should make it clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knights Crimson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yep, I agree. Point 4 nails it down.

One of my players disagreed with my interpretation, which was that you only execute the first line that evaluates as true, and I skimmed the rulebook a couple times and couldn't find it specified. Having an interpretation mechanic under the heading of The Monster Deck seems strange to me, but that's not relevant to the question here.

Alright, thanks for the time! We're relatively new to this game in specific and I wanted to be able to point my players toward an authoritative interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. There are a number of people watching the rules forums so, shout out whenever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.