Subject: Second Edition questions - Overstacking and Regrouping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. In the 2nd edition rules concerning regrouping the word "retreat" is no longer used. Does that mean "flyers" can only regroup to adjacent hexes now?

2. Is the stacking limit enforced at all times or can you overstack in a battle hex, fight the battle, and then use the regroup (assuming you were victorious) to fix the overstack situation before the turn end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2.0 rules. Regrouping may occur when you win; retreat occurs when you lose a battle.

1. "Blocks must retreat to adjacent, friendly or neutral hexes, except flyers may also retreat their full move to a friendly hex".

I think there is some bad grammar residing in that sentence in that there should be no comma after "adjacent" and "except" should be replaced by "In addition," as new sentence.

So to answer the question, it seems flying units can retreat to adjacent friendly neutral hexes as well as any friendly (not neutral) hexes within their movement radius. Though the rules do not state this, I would assume flying units cannot retreat to a friendly sea hex, since it is stated elsewhere in the rules that flying units cannot land in a sea hex.

2. "Stacking is the maximum number of blocks that may defend or attack a hex." This implies stacking limits apply at the end of movement only, so hexes may be temporarily overstacked (i.e. units may move through a fully-stacked hex but not end movement there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
voynix wrote:

2. "Stacking is the maximum number of blocks that may defend or attack a hex." This implies stacking limits apply at the end of movement only, so hexes may be temporarily overstacked (i.e. units may move through a fully-stacked hex but not end movement there).

So does this mean at the end of movement, a battle/contested hex...say a woods hex, should have a maximum of six blocks - three defenders, three attackers? If the hex had two units, it can only be reinforced by one despite there being more nearby? I guess this prevents piling. Hmmm, I gotta read the rules more carefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
In a battle hex, stacking limits apply separately for each side; therefore, in a woods hex, if one side only has 2 blocks, only one block can help reinforce regardless of the number of enemy blocks in that hex.

Furthermore, if you play the Combat Reserves optional rule (which I definitely would recommend; this is a mandatory rule in HotS), that 1 reinforcement block wouldn't be able to fight until round 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
Furthermore, if you play the Combat Reserves optional rule (which I definitely would recommend; this is a mandatory rule in HotS), that 1 reinforcement block wouldn't be able to fight until round 2.

Just remember, HotS is a very different game from WK. In WK you're often talking about attack hexside limits of just a single unit. Combat reserves would heavily penalize the attacker. Very few of the hex-based Columbia games have that "combat reserve" rule. None that I can think of, actually. Liberty maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried the combat reserves rule with WK, but I suspect that Chris is right, i.e. that it would overly penalize the attacker. In HotS or CR, attacks often comprise 6 or even more blocks and there is no stacking limit. Staggering the times at which unit arrives makes for more interesting battles. In WK, the question is often whether you can get enough units into combat at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
I have the 2.0 rules. Regrouping may occur when you win; retreat occurs when you lose a battle.

1. "Blocks must retreat to adjacent, friendly or neutral hexes, except flyers may also retreat their full move to a friendly hex".

Dan thanks for the quick response. My question on regrouping concerns mainly the "flyers". In v1.6 of the rules the regroup rule is as follows:

5.5 REGROUPING
After a battle ends, the victor may Regroup.
This allows the victor to Retreat any units from
the victory hex normally, or add any adjacent
units to the victory hex. Hexside Limits do NOT
apply when Regrouping.

Note the use of the word retreat. In the second edition rules the rule has been reworded. So the question is did the designers eliminate allowing flyers their full movement when regrouping (feeling that it was too powerful) limiting them to adjacent hex only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Greenwald
United States
New York
flag msg tools

The reserves optional rule does not penalize the attacker. If anything, it penalizes the defender. Assuming you won initiative and attack a hex, when the defender piles in more units, they do not get to shoot on the first round of combat.

If you can kill off all the units that were originally defending the hex, the attacker becomes the defender. Defenders have the advantage, in effect, giving the original attacker the advantage. Additionally, units summoned by a wizard will fall under the reinforcements rule so they will not be able to attack on the turn they were summoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.