Subject: Online Automa Cards for Scythe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: notes [+] [View All]
Jonathan Nagy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Greetings:

I've been working on an online Automa simulator similar to the one that was released for Viticulture.

The version I've created for Scythe is right here:

http://ai.nagy.tech/scythe

Please post any feedback you have and I will aim to improve it.

Special thanks to jameystegmaier and Flávio for helping me source the icons.

Regards,

Jonathan
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing this resource Jonathan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flávio O
msg tools
mbmb
nagytech wrote:
Greetings:

I've been working on an online Automa simulator similar to the one that was released for Viticulture.

Regards,

Jonathan

Glad I could help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nagytech wrote:
Greetings:

Regards,

Jonathan

That's awesome, thank you so much for making this. It's great that you can run more than one simultanously, since some are playing with multiple Automas.

It seems to me that you can't give the Automa a star from reaching the end of the power track or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGuire
Scotland
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool, looks great. Thanks for making this. Although, Isn't the rule that when you eject workers, you look at the resource icons of the last-played non-combat card? in which case, that info would need to be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. Great work!
+1 for Morten's and Robert's post.

My wish would be to still have a track where you can see the Automa's progress and when it's going to place its next star. This is important for endgame timing. When I know Automa is placing his its last star next turn I might plan my move accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
msg tools
mbmb
Bobajob wrote:
Cool, looks great. Thanks for making this. Although, Isn't the rule that when you eject workers, you look at the resource icons of the last-played non-combat card? in which case, that info would need to be included.

Yeah, the card rules as written allow you to know how many resources you'll get BEFORE you attack the Automa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nagy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

It seems to me that you can't give the Automa a star from reaching the end of the power track or am I missing something?

Thanks for the feedback - you're not missing anything, I just didn't implement that feature.

I'll add another button that will give Automa a star for reaching the end of the power track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nagy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bobajob wrote:

I will definitely add this one, thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nagytech wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Thanks for the feedback - you're not missing anything, I just didn't implement that feature.

I'll add another button that will give Automa a star for reaching the end of the power track.

Great, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nagy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
My wish would be to still have a track where you can see the Automa's progress and when it's going to place its next star. This is important for endgame timing. When I know Automa is placing his its last star next turn I might plan my move accordingly.

This one might be a bit tricky. The UI was originally designed to fit on a small screen.

I can probably add an overlay or something that's collapsable, but it might take a little while to get it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nagytech wrote:
Lines42 wrote:

This one might be a bit tricky. The UI was originally designed to fit on a small screen.

I can probably add an overlay or something that's collapsable, but it might take a little while to get it right.

You could consider simply having it as a list of numbers showing the number of spaces until each remaining star, e.g. 9, 11, 13, 14 (made up numbers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
That's awesome, thank you so much for making this. It's great that you can run more than one simultanously, since some are playing with multiple Automas.

I've now added a link to this thread to the variant rules for playing with multiple Automas: Playing Scythe with any combination of humans and Automas – semi-official variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really fantastic. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kortegaard
Denmark
Kbh N
flag msg tools
Nice work, will be a nice help for trying the multi-player rules.

Think I've found two small rules mistakes in the current version.
It either shows the stars too late (the card after the actual card moving it to a star) or switches to phase 2 a turn early.
Didn't see any documentation/guide, so can't tell if it one or the other.

It shows the first star when it turns to phase 2 cards, leading to:
(Examples won't take cards without progression into account, and use normal difficulty)
- Phase two cards comes a round to early, if the star appears when the ninth card is placed.
Or.
- You won't know the game has ended, if it places the sixth star via the card.

The other thing I noticed is there is no way to place a star for maxing power (hit 16 on the power track). The combat stars can be used as a stopgap, but you implemented a max of two, and it means the player needs to keep track of which kind of stars it has received.

But really nice work, will be useful. To repeat the wish for a progression tracker, could maybe have a bar, e.g. between the recruit bonus and combat values, with spaces, stars and a progress token? Could black out from the right, with any combat or power stars placed.
Secondly maybe implement a faction chooser between difficulty and start button. Could just be a drop-down for ID purposes, if you use multiple automas, or, in dreamland, integrated so the parenthesises could be left out.

Andreas

Edit: toyed a bit more, from the card counter in the bottom it doesn't look like the cards are shuffled at phase 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp P.
Germany
flag msg tools
Nice! i clicked through a few times on Easy and noticed that there never was a skipped Automa turn, that would be a useful addition. I see in your code that you do have a function to show a skipped turn but it didn't work for me with Safari or Chrome.

Another thing I saw is that the deck isn't reshuffled when you enter Phase II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nagytech wrote:
Lines42 wrote:

Yeah adding a track might be too much info on the Screen (except if you go for a scrolling band).
Actually what you could do is to give a warning, that a star might be placed next Automa turn (if it doesn´t draw a skip card).
Just fill in the next unclaimed star with red or something.

Example:

= Two stars placed.
= Next space on the Automa track has a star icon (will most probably place star).

If the next space had no star it would look like this:

Also, as mentioned above, there might be a problem with the timing.
The Automa places stars after it performed its action and gained stuff.
As it is right now (at work, can´t double check) the star is placed immediately when the card is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! Very useful. I just got Scythe, played a couple 2 player games over the weekend, but I plan to try Automa sometime this week (as soon as I figure out the rules, they're not laid out well). This should help immensely in understanding the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Quicksilver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucester
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant. This is exactly what the automata needs - this was my first thought when I played the Automata.

So glad you have put this together!

Could we have an ipad sized version that would include more text about the actions underneath, That would be a great help when learning the automata?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nagy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
robertflatt wrote:
- Phase two cards comes a round to early, if the star appears when the ninth card is placed.

I just re-read the rules and that appears to be correct. The star isn't supposed to be incremented until after the Automa actions are taken. So, the player shouldn't receive the Phase II actions until after that turn. I'll add this to the list of updates.

robertflatt wrote:

Edit: toyed a bit more, from the card counter in the bottom it doesn't look like the cards are shuffled at phase 2.

I'm fairly certain the cards are shuffling - unless your random number generator is not the same as mine?! The counter on the left is just indicating the number of cards left, not the ID of the current card. To make this more clear, I've added the actual card ID to the right hand side.

Edit: My bad - I get it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thank you so much for putting this together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nagy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cortland_80 wrote:
Nice! i clicked through a few times on Easy and noticed that there never was a skipped Automa turn, that would be a useful addition. I see in your code that you do have a function to show a skipped turn but it didn't work for me with Safari or Chrome.

Another thing I saw is that the deck isn't reshuffled when you enter Phase II.

I've fixed both these issues now. Thanks for your help in finding them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nagy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:

Also, as mentioned above, there might be a problem with the timing.
The Automa places stars after it performed its action and gained stuff.
As it is right now (at work, can´t double check) the star is placed immediately when the card is drawn.

I've sorted out the Phase II turnover issue, and have also added a turn tracker that isn't too intrusive.

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great improvement here. Star tracker works fine.

Personal wishlist:
1. Add a clear note, when you're looking at a combat card, instead of the regular AI card. Add a red frame or "Combat". When Automa attacks, this happens in the first phase (action). Then you draw a combat card, resolve combat and after that you have to finish the original (non-conbat) card. If the combat card is not marked, there's the danger that you forget to switch back to the previous card and resolve steps 2 and 3 of the combat card instead.
2. Move the indicator down, after the third phase. This is when you would actually place a star for Automa. And it would be less confusing that the star is already added to the graphic when the card is drawn.
EDIT: Same goes for the track, because it shows the game state after the Automa's actions.

Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and there's a timing problem with the "cannot cross rivers" (ccr) restriction. This is again due to the star tracker being moved AFTER the card is resolved.
So when playing Automa there are 3 ccr icons after the start position. But since the marker is moved after the turn it actually ccr for 4 full turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.