GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Fireteam Zero» Forums » General

Subject: Recent FTZ binge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Some friends of mine had never played FTZ before, so I brought the game over and we played Mission 1.1 a few times (because of course we didn't succeed the first time).

People had a great time. They liked the difficulty level and the tense nature of deciding what actions to take and when, what cards to play and what to keep (and how many!).

A couple people weren't very avid board gamers but they got enthusiastic very quickly, especially after they started really paying attention to reactions and how they might be played.

First game was everybody getting comfortable, so naturally it was a bit slow. Progress was steady and things were going well until we got the twist Coordinated Limbs... and right after that threat turn, the last player searched a spawn point and revealed the propeller. The ambush happened... and we were all adjacent to the spawn point... and we all got hit, really hard... and then the threat turn started, and we had nothing left.

Second game did much better! Unfortunately, we had only one sample left to collect from Henry, and a tactical miscalculation on movement and card order ended up getting some people swamped. We were maybe two turns away from success.

Despite this, people wanted another try. By this time, the table opinion was 'we're not going out like that!' But to demonstrate variety in the game, we tried Mission 3.1 instead. The fetches were verrry different, and despite some really awful combinations of Twists (Fog of Despair, Unstable Configuration... ), in the end experience won out (with a little luck), and Mission 3.1 was a success.

I know at least one person is going to be looking for a copy of FTZ for their own, and they'll certainly want to get their hands on some expansions. I'd like to congratulate the makers of the game on their success; this is certainly a game my people are going to be playing again, and definitely one we're going to get a lot of mileage out of. The relatively quick setup time, the very quick learning curve for the rules and gameplay and the ease at having another go after a game wipeout are all great selling points for us.

Thank you, Langlois and Emergent Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Glad you're enjoying it.

Fireteam Zero had been on my radar for a good couple of years before I finally picked up a retail copy last week, and have been soloing it since then.

So far I've only played the Children of Typhon scenarios (the second and third multiple times), I won the city one and I've just spawned the Cup Bearer in the caverns. Destroying the altars was trying given the requirements (discarding a full hand for Sacrifice, hitting another hero for at least 2 damage for Hate and so on), but the boss looks tough as well since IIRC he has 3 brawl attack at range 2. We'll see how we go there.

I'm impressed with the game and what it's doing with so streamlined and fast a system it uses, although I have concerns about repetition (D&D AS feels more varied mainly due to more monster types, traps, treasure etc). I think the lightning fast setup will probably help convince me to keep playing it though, and I'm interested to see the expansions.

I think I'm like a lot of guys here atm who like their complex thematic experience well enough but want something like this that you can pull off the shelf and just play immediately without so much as glancing at the rules ever again. And it's solo, so play anytime. I just think this game has come at the right time for some people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many characters are you playing on Solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Two. Close combat and marksman in the case of the last few in the boss scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I run two characters when I play solo, but the game really shines when you have four people at the table. Though it scales nicely, running four characters while solo would be a huge hassle trying to keep track of all the reactions, etc. The need to use reactions at the right time is, I find, one of the key ways the game keeps you on your toes. The timing of a given reaction can make or break a mission.

I have a similar wariness about repetitiveness in the game, considering that all missions basically boil down to 'search spawn points until'. Thankfully the monster families are quite different, the twist decks do mix things up a bit and there are a couple objectives which get a bit more creative (such as Survivors, for example).

I think a lot of the repetition is going to get mitigated by the stuff coming out with the expansions, especially the mission generator, the pile of 'independent' and additional monsters, and the release of source material so people can make their own things. I'm certainly looking forward to the second wave, myself. I don't think Fireteam Zero is an -awesome- game, but it's solidly good, and more importantly, we have an awful lot of fun playing it.

Also, every interaction I've had with Emergent Games so far has been really good, and I enjoy supporting and promoting the work of a new company who offers such a strong sense of community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Yup, intelligent use of reactions are the game changer. So are Tactical Responses, which can really give you the breathing space to get objectives done when you need it.

It certainly helps that the theme is up my alley too - it's non-zombie, non-cthulu weird war 2 body horror which is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I solo with all four characters. The system is so streamlined it's easy to do. I basically figure out what each of the 4 need to do on their turns, than go through each hand and figure out who can help who.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, now I have to try solo4. JORUNE YOU MAKE IT SOUND SO EASY.

Except that it is Fireteam Zero, so maybe not exactly -easy-.

By the way, if I have never given you props for the name Jorune, props.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried one game controlling all four and since I'm newer to the game, it was a bit slow for me. My feelings would likely change with some more time under my belt. I've been doing the Solo variant listed in the Variants forum where you use two soldiers and then just the attack values from the other two soldier decks. You use the 3 player monster scale with this variant. It's been a nice balance as I only need to really drill down into two decks.

My GF and I played each controlling two and it was really the best way to play with only two people. The card/ability combinations get really fun and it's cool knowing that you have the full arsenal to throw at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericdrum wrote:

My GF and I played each controlling two and it was really the best way to play with only two people. The card/ability combinations get really fun and it's cool knowing that you have the full arsenal to throw at the game.

Array, jealous. I am yet to convince my significant other to try Fireteam Zero. She has very kindly said she will at some point, but as we are currently grappling with (and very much enjoying) Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, it may be a ways off yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh. Maybe we need to give that game a go. It looks cool and we love our Co-ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
OK, so after a bout of the flu I played this again tonight, Op 2 Act 1 with the Infested. I used the demolitions guy (required) and close combat.

I like to think I played a good tactical game - I searched 3 full sectors of spawn points pretty much unmolested, and felt pretty good about closing this one out - before the unthinkable happened.

Drawing the Rigged Gas Main (Diffuse the Bomb) Discovery card as the 9th Recon Deck draw, it tells me 'if this objective is not completed by the time the end of the Threat Track is reached, you lose the game'. The Threat track had in fact moved to it's final space a couple of turns back.

Now I'm still groggy from my affliction, but I'm pretty sure I was just had

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oh man, that's terrible! I haven't had that happen, but... yeah, when you're doing a 2 player game, the threat track goes up really fast. I've seen a couple missions fail because of a really nasty 4-twist combination.

We just finished the second Fetch mission which went really well mostly to some luck (elites kept spawning on the far side of the board, great card draws)... but that Fetch twist that makes you take damage from difficult terrain is awful, especially when one of the Recon cards flips the coin to the wrong side. Talk about tense.

I really like the distinction between monster families. We were pretty used to dealing with Children of Typhon, and the Fetches are very different in how you have to deal with them. Our experience with the Infested is pretty minimal at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Op 2 Mission 2 the Nursery against the Infested.

With this one, there is the usual objectives to complete but after they're done, a hero can spend an action on his turn to set one of the four sectors on fire to cleanse the map of the evil worms.

The game went to the wire, but I game overed with the leader waiting on the exit for close combat guy, who was just one space away. Apart from a couple of nasty twist effects, I'd gambled on using my hero actions to set fires quickly and make a dash for the exit, rather than try to thin out the advancing baitbags to equalize the situation. Perhaps taking a few more turns securing the immediate area until the newest round of spawns gave me enough breathing space to light the last fire unhindered would have been a better idea.

A couple of close spawns before my final turn sealed my fate.

Fun scenario, still like the cupbearer one in the caverns the best so far though.

I think this game needs something in terms of monster variety within a mission. Will you be able to get new minions or elites for the families present in the base set at retail, or is that stuff KS exclusive?

The two unreleased expansions only have the two new monster families respectively IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are only a couple KS exclusives, as I recall, so the majority of other material is probably going to be available one way or the other. I don't know what kind of plan Emergent Games has for non-KS distribution, but I'm sure that at least the expansions are going to make it in the market.

The game (unfortunately) didn't get a lot of good press, so ebay may be your option in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
I see, thanks for the info.

Has anything about the mission generator and what that entails been released? Information about this game seems a bit thin on the ground...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the mission generator is a deck of cards that randomizes objectives, maps and monsters based on the content you have. So if you don't have expansions, you remove those cards from the deck before drawing. I believe the objectives are different from what is already contained in tthe game.

The best place for info is the updates in both Kickstarters. They go into detail about stuff like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there two Kickstarter pages by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
Why are there two Kickstarter pages by the way?

There's actually 3 to be precise.

The first one failed to fund. The second one funded. The third one was to fund a french version, however they allowed you to pick up an english version as well and any stretch goals achieved in the french version campaign was added to both french and english versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Damn this game is swingy.

I actually prefer it when it when the discoveries are closer to the bottom of the recon deck, otherwise it gets too easy. I might houserule in that you seed the discovery cards after the first three event draws or something.

It's not just that though, I'm starting to have no real issue dealing with the spawn pool for two heroes in a lot of these scenarios either. By the time I do end up in a situation where I could be in danger a tactics card has usually shown up to bail me out. Some of the Focus cards are also extremely powerful (Parry, anyone)?

Hope I'm playing it right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The thing about 2-player games is that if it takes your objectives a long time to show up, things get really ugly because your threat track goes up a lot faster than in a 4 person game.

We've found that the monster numbers for a 4 person game are much more of a challenge to deal with despite having 2 more people, especially in those games where you have elites in the spawn pool. You can get more searching done in a turn, though.

That said, yeah, I know what you mean about the game being swingy, and once you know more about the monsters you are messing with, some of the focus cards become no-brainers. Like Parry. Definitely Parry.

If you want to ramp it up a little, throw an extra monster or two in the spawn pool for your 2-player game and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wave 2 starts its journey on Sept 30. Sooooooon.

Played another game with some newbies who enjoyed it very much. Two of us had played before, though in my case much more often. We did the first Infested mission and had some horrible luck with recon... which means the last card was the 'defuse bomb' objective, and yes, the threat track was already at max, so we lost the game right then. We all agreed that we should've had a chance to play it out, but we'll do chapter 2 of that mission next time.

The new folks really liked the card mechanic and the tension when things suddenly go south. We had a moment where the close combat guy got swarmed in one room by himself with just enough people in adjacent areas to play reactions and keep him alive for just... one.... more.... round. Unfortunately, we had the twist that makes the Infested chase you when you leave, which was causing some serious bottleneck issues where we couldn't move or we'd trap people because of too many monsters in an area.

Very terse game, good times. We'll be doing a replay.

But again! Very excited. Next month, I hope, we'll have a huge pile of new stuff to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4rch1t3ct wrote:
Wave 2 starts its journey on Sept 30. Sooooooon.

I, too, am very excited about this. Ready for some new missions.

On a side note, my significant other graciously joined me in a game last Saturday, and we ran through the first Act of the other of Worms. Wouldn't you know it, she then requested to play the final two Acts on Sunday! I think it is a testament to this game that, despite it not being a theme she is overly interested in, the game-play and interesting decisions made it compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the people I've played it with really get into the tension once they've had a chance to settle into how the game works. I had another person ask when it was going to be in retail too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandPop McPopenstrudel
msg tools
Nice man. Looks like you guys suffered the same fate as I did with the bomb diffusing

The last Infested mission was... different, I'll give it that. Haven't seen that you've played it yet so I won't say nuttin' about it yet.

Overall I think I liked the Children of Typhon missions better though.

I haven't played for a couple of weeks since D&DAS has been on the table as I play through my campaign, but I was thinking perhaps this weekend I might break it out and run a few scenarios. I haven't played the Fetch yet so I could get down to that.

What I really need to do is try a squad combo that doesn't include Rat, but I can't help myself because he just looks so damn cool. I mean he's front and center on the cover of the core game and the expansions, and seems to be putting in a guest appearance in Vampire Hunters as well, so it's not just me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.