9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: North/South/East/West or Top/Bottom/Left/Right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, do you all think it's better to refer to the edges of a board with "compass" directions like North/South/East/West or regular directions like Top/Bottom/Left/Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Timer Gamer
msg tools
I think it all depends on the nature of the map.

If you have a map that is based on reality, like a map of a specific country or place, then having a "compass rose" printed on the map to indicate geographic directions is useful.

A "compass rose" marking helps anyone that is playtesting a geographic map. I once playtested a game based on a "real world" location that had "real world" map locations in the wrong places, both relative to each other and to reality.

If you have an "abstract" map, like a game that "plays in space", then directions are either "meaningless" or "relative to a point of reference".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the old timer, plus it depends on where the players are sitting. If they are all around the board, then left and right mean something different to different players (why ships use port and starboard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickles2000 wrote:
Hi, do you all think it's better to refer to the edges of a board with "compass" directions like North/South/East/West or regular directions like Top/Bottom/Left/Right?

depends on the board.

maps do well with N S E W ... and as old timer says, a compass rose reinforces it.

almost everything else will have to make do with top/bottom/left/right ... reinforce it by having labels on the board that suggest a certain "this side up" orientation, regardless of where the player is sitting.

If you've got a grid, it might be better to label the grid, like Chess has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do print compass directions, make sure you get them right, unlike the first edition of Police Precinct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Timer Gamer
msg tools
Looking at the original question for this thread from a different point of view than my first post in this thread.....

If the rules of a game make references to "north south east west", then having a "compass rose" printed on the map is extremely useful.

I have seen more than a few games that forget to add the "compass rose" then make references in their rules to a location or "victory goal" based on directions.

A recent example of the "flaw" or "failure" to print a "compass rose" on a game map is: "October War" in Decision Game's "Modern War, Issue 25". I looked over that map, both of them (it's a "special edition" game after all), and never found the "compass rose". Now I know why it's "special"

The printed "compass rose" removes all doubt and discussion regarding rules that refer to directions. That also emphasizes the importance of making the printed "compass rose" an obvious item on the map, not buried off to a map corner or printed in such a small format that it is easily overlooked.

As another post in this thread has noted, getting the "compass rose" pointed correctly is important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Even if you go the "top/bottom/left/right" rule, it can be confusing unless it is very clear where the top and bottom are. Remember, games with more than one player usually have at least one player facing a different direction than the others.

Keep in mind that in our three dimensional world, "top and bottom" could also refer to vertical position relative to the table or the floor, the "top card" could mean the card on top of the deck, or the card closest to the "top" of the board. That's English for you...

There are also some people who get confused with left/right, or with directions in general. It could be useful to have landmarks or symbols on your map/board and have your instructions reference those.

I also agree that if you are going to use N/S/E/W directions, you must have a compass rose on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hmm, so what's a better, less confusing way to refer to the edges of the board?

(Those were the only two I could think of.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Pickles2000 wrote:
Hmm, so what's a better, less confusing way to refer to the edges of the board?

(Those were the only two I could think of.)

I think maybe we all overloaded you a bit with various concerns and anecdotes, which made this look like a bigger problem to you than it really is.

I think most of us were trying to say that you can use any naming convention that you want, as long as the semantics are clear.

I think that the suggestion to go with North, South, East, and West, with a compass rose on the board is a simple solution that meets your needs.

If you want or need more ideas than that, then say so and people will be happy to share more thoughts and ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.