Eriek Douraan
Mexico
flag msg tools
Hi, I wanted to get opinions from the BGG hive mind on this one.

How do you all feel about cutsey/kiddie themed games? Would you play one if the mechanics are substantial enough for adult enjoyment too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I like cute themed games, I don't like "kiddie" or the idea that they are one in the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of the games I enjoy playing already fit this description.

Pete (nods)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not. I don't like 'kiddie' artwork or themes. This is one of the reasons I specifically avoid Super Dungeon Explore because I absolutely can not stand 'chibi' art...or anime style art in general. I find it completely distracting from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have in mind a lot of examples of "cute" artwork but I know that I have enjoyed Meowtopia and its kittens and I may buy it.

game's artwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
As in so many things, it depends.

I wasn't bothered by the somewhat cutesy minis of Arcadia Quest.

I was repulsed by the cutesy art of the new Santorini.

Generally, I think cutesy is a minus, but it depends on the level and type of cutesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think cute is a plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your audience obviously. If you are making a children game, the the cutesy is needed to grab the child's attention.

If you are making an adult game but with cutesy art, understand that some players will immediately and irrecoverably be turned off the game, and will not even try it.

If you are designing a game for adult, including children aged 13+, then you might as well use adult art.

Boardgame art, like any art, is very personal. You will never satisfy everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiddie themes probably would turn me off yes. Eg. I am turned off King of Tokyo due to the theme. Decent gateway game mechanics but it just looks like a kids cartoon. No thanks.

Cute themes however do not turn me off. Dungeon Petz for example I would consider to have a cute theme yet it is a fantastic game and the theme does not turn me off whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think the art on 'Schotten Totten' is a bit childish, but the gameplay is so good, I can ignore the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't care but many players want an immersive theme and may be turned away from kiddie themes.

I came across such a game recently: Sheepland. It's really a wolf in sheep's clothing, with childish art but vicious gameplay. I suspect children won't like it while gamers won't give it a second glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depends really...

I like to try most games but I may or may not buy them if I really can't stand to look at it...

Being a parent - cute or kiddie in general don't bother me but the game itself probably has to be good... I probably have more aversive to some adult themes and art work over kiddie ones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If the artwork and/or theme of a game mean that it looks like it's aimed at kids then I'll often assume that it's going to be too simplistic to be of interest and I'm unlikely to explore any further.

However, if I read or someone tells me that there's more to it then I won't be put off from playing.

For example I enjoy Pinguin-Party and Hey, That's My Fish!: they're both colourful and simple to learn so children would probably enjoy them but if played with gamers they're interesting fillers with the potential for strategy and very competitive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you include Takenoko in this?

In which case, not at all..

Plus I don't think I mind cute themes anyhow (there has to be an audience for an internet full of cat videos and memes.. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it would turn me away. I might play or buy a game with kiddie/cute/chibi/manga/anime/etc style art if the game itself was sufficiently interesting/good, but that would be in spite of the art, definitely not thanks to the art.

skutsch wrote:

Yep, same here; Santorini's cute/kiddie Greek god art is what immediately came to my mind when I saw the thread's subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
The style of santorini is weird and saccharine.

By contrast, the style of catacombs 3rd ed is perfect and awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for the "it depends" camp. I can "suffer" it (Arcadia Quest, Schoten Totten), but it can be a deterrent. I have often NOT bought a game because of its art, but as of yet not because it was too cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Cute/kid friendly themes? No.

Overly cute/childish art/design? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
john5443 wrote:
I think the art on 'Schotten Totten' is a bit childish, but the gameplay is so good, I can ignore the issue.

I literally traded Battle Line away 2 weeks ago, and this past weekend, at GenCon saw a demo copy of Schotten Totten. Its being reprinted, so I'll probably buy a copy when it comes out. IMO, the artwork in Battle Line is a little bland / Spartan. I think the artwork on Schotten Totten will make it more accessible to my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well I usually see a difference between cute (art that through association seems for kids) and kiddie (primary focus is aimed at kids) I'd say if it doesn't change the games play to be childish to the point where its not even a filler for me and my full grown adults then I'm fine with it.
I am occasionally attracted to the semi-parodied cute where its cute art but its just a facade over the bloodbath that the theme really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Yep, same here; Santorini's cute/kiddie Greek god art is what immediately came to my mind when I saw the thread's subject.

Same.

Hey, That's My Fish! was the other game I thought of - I'm not bothered style of that, I'm sure the game would be much less successful if it was a nice wooden abstract and I may never have heard it or played it. I wouldn't describe Hey, That's My Fish! as cute or kiddie (actually I couldn't describe anything as kiddie) but it certainly looks like a children's game.

A cutsey/kiddie theme wouldn't on it's own turn me away from a game but it would be a factor, if it's overly cutsey then the mechanics would have to be very good. It's not just whether I can ignore the theme but whether people I play with will want to play it too.

I think themes can sometimes tell you something about a game - you can sometimes tell whether the designer & publisher have prioritised aesthetics or easy of understanding (obviously it isn't that simple - the best games manage both, the worst neither)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider some of the examples here to be "kiddie". King of Tokyo, Arcadia Quest... They are cartoony, but not what I'd consider 'kiddie'. I like the artwork on all of those.

However, I have no interest in Barnyard Roundup due to the artwork and theme that I definitely consider "kiddie".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the experience and my enjoyment while gaming is appreciating the artwork. Games I purchase always have to make it past initial visual inspection. If it attracts my attention visually (the title, the theme, the artwork), then I read the premise of the game, either here or on the back of the box. Lastly, I research mechanics, game play, reviews, etc.

There is definitely some cutesy/kiddy artwork that I do not like. If the game fell into that category, it would not make it past initial visual inspection unless someone whose opinion I trusted already told me it was a great game. Even so, it would need to be better than and unique enough from other games for me to buy it for myself (which is the case for all games I buy).

I might buy it as a birthday/Christmas present for someone's kids though. And I wouldn't object to playing it with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't buy Puzzle Strike for a long, long time due to the aesthetic. It looks like it belongs on a little girl's shelf next to her My Little Pony collection.

However, after the Watch It Played video, I immediately ran out the door and bought it and the expansion. It's utterly fantastic, my favorite pure deckbuilder and one of my favorite games.

The Big Book of Madness isn't cutesy but is somewhat kiddie. But the gameplay is much thinkier than you'd assume and it's an excellent co-op.

My buddy is about to get Krosmaster Arena in a trade and the presentation is part of the reason I am interested. This isn't due to a preference for cutesy/kiddie games, rather I find cartoonish artwork more easy to parse rules with than something more adult (EG Heroes of Normandie vs Conflict of Heroes. Or Conflict of Heroes vs something by GMT, like Combat Commander)

On the other end, a game like Tanto Cuore has never passed muster with me. Way too creepy, despite reportedly good mechanics (and besides, how can it beat Puzzle Strike? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
I will play cutsie games, as long as it's before a brain burner, but not all night.

I usually won't buy cutsie games unless they are quite clever.

I will buy kid games for my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.