GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,957 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: what is your winning percentage on solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about what the winning percentages are on the solo conquest scenario (the one where you defeat 2 borg cubes), and how it compares to MK.

Please post your winning percentage (with corresponding borg cube levels, if not the default).

If you are also a MK player, please post your winning percentage as well (with corresponding city levels).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a playtester/developer for the game, I played a lot of solo games pre-release, and was not good early (too cautious, in general).

Since actually getting my copy of the game, I went 8-1 on the default difficulty, before challenging myself by raising the Borg cube levels, and then adding an extra Borg tile. Now I defeat all three cubes (currently at levels, 6,7,& 8) about 33% of the time.

This solo game is significantly easier than MK on default difficulty, but I think that's a good thing, both because the initial learning curve is fairly steep, and because it's a simple matter to make significantly harder as a player improves.

Hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that it's usually easier than in MK. I just keep striving for a better score each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmb
I win about 50% of the time. Currently fighting two Borg cubes both at level 11. I think playing on default difficulty but reducing number of rounds to 4 would definitely ramp up the difficulty. I tried one solo with base difficulty and won at the start of the fifth round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just completed a solo conquest with the Enterprise and scored a whopping 220. I destroyed the final Borg Cube in Round 5 in one awesome attack. Long-range enhanced attacks took out two sections of the Cube. Then a stasis field neutralized one section's attack, while shields blocked the last attack. My crew destroyed a third section with a combination of phasers and photon torpedoes. Finally, N'vek and Picard led an away team, and, with my last three cards played sideways, I defeated the final defenders.

That score was by far my best performance so far. Took out three Romulan starbases and one Dominion base. Did four successful away team missions. Four Undiscovered Cards and five Advanced Actions.

I should make admiral for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I must be doing something wrong b/c I don't see how anybody can lose this game solo with anything less than 4 borg cubes at 11, and I've only played a handful of games. Every time the borg cubes seem tough, but some undiscovered card or crew combo makes them a piece of cake. Last solo game I set 3 borg cubes all at level 11 and the killer combo was a crew that had the ability to turn all attacks into long-range ("One"?), a card that turned movements into attacks (and therefore long range attacks, right?), and a few cards and abilities to generate enough data tokens and crystals to power all that, as well as draw enough cards for a massive attack (Lore, motivation, and subjugating outpost means 6 extra cards!). I had to take a few passes at the first borg cube in round 4, but the second two were wiped out in one turn each with no damage b/c I could generate like 30+ long range attacks (though that took all or almost all of the massive dozen+ card hand. Previous games were made easy by other but similarly ridiculous combos, e.g using cards that destroy tokens if you block all damage.

Is there a list of "frequently misplayed rules"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have won both of my plays of the full solo scenario so far and will probably up the levels of the Borg cubes in future plays. I think the undiscovered cards are really strong. "Q" can save you a lot of travelling time and if you can get your hands on the "Changeling" card early into the game, you will be rocking gold crew members in no time.

However, I am unsure if I would be able to tackle three or four level 11 cubes at the same time. We will see.

I have read that a change from Mage Knight, that has been introduced in Frontiers, is the +1exp for revealing new map tiles. Maybe it is worth a try playing without this rule? Without easy experience points in the beginning I can imagine that things might be a bit tougher at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, for those of you that played both mk and st:f, how would you modify the solo (and in general, all other scenarios) in order to make the difficulty and balance similar to MK? Preferably with only official variants (I.e. Only varying the tile distributions and Borg levels)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.