Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize in advance for my lack of correct terminology here - played this a single time and was wondering about a rule in the game. Specifically, one player had a card with an upgrade effect that generated a bunch of points every round, and then added a second copy of that upgrade into a different slot on the same card. I think this card was generating ~8 points each time it was played. This seemed pretty OP, so I was wondering if it was a no-no to have two copies of the same upgrade on the same card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
I apologize in advance for my lack of correct terminology here - played this a single time and was wondering about a rule in the game. Specifically, one player had a card with an upgrade effect that generated a bunch of points every round, and then added a second copy of that upgrade into a different slot on the same card. I think this card was generating ~8 points each time it was played. This seemed pretty OP, so I was wondering if it was a no-no to have two copies of the same upgrade on the same card.

I didn't see anything preventing you from doing this.

Considering there is only one of each advancement for each slot, making it three copies, you have to be fairly lucky to be able to put two of the same advancement in the same card. But if you can, then just do.

Feral Chieftain+Feral Chieftain+Feral Chieftain would certainly be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Considering there is only one of each advancement for each slot, making it three copies, you have to be fairly lucky to be able to put two of the same advancement in the same card. But if you can, then just do.

If it's the first play it's not that unusual - the protective film tends to make the cards stick together during shuffling

As far as the rules go there isn't anything preventing you duplicating upgrades to a card - the only rule is you can't cover an existing upgrade.

It's not straightforward as to whether doing so is a good idea though. One key thing to bear in mind is that there's no way to remove cards from your deck, so unless you also look to minimise / control your chances to spoil having everything on the one card tends to limit how often you get to play it (conversely since you often want to control how fast the point pool is drained and the end game triggered having them all on the one card can be better for those times you need to prevent it happening).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:

This is completely legitimate. The only rule is that you can't place such that the artwork is covered (so only one upper, one middle, one lower) but there's nothing limiting what those can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several times put two fertile soils on the same card. I think I had a double Peacekeeper Druid once as well: two green spirits and two "lives" when pushing your luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maze 1125
msg tools
It sounds overpowered to have an 8 point generating card, but it's not more overpowered than having two 4 point generating cards. Either way the entire deck has to be cycled before the same card is pulled again. Giving you 8 points per cycle regardless of if its on two cards or on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maze1125 wrote:
It sounds overpowered to have an 8 point generating card, but it's not more overpowered than having two 4 point generating cards. Either way the entire deck has to be cycled before the same card is pulled again. Giving you 8 points per cycle regardless of if its on two cards or on one.

Sort of, but the point generating cards typically benefit from other symbols on the same card, so it's more efficient to have them both on the same card because that's one less of that symbol you have to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm wondering about Gaia's chosen. What happens when you put two on the same card? You CAN cover the vertical text, so it is possible, but would it mean that one of the Chosen's ability is canceled, making only one of the two reach it's full potential (which would actually be quite low, admittedly, in that context)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I'm wondering about Gaia's chosen. What happens when you put two on the same card? You CAN cover the vertical text, so it is possible, but would it mean that one of the Chosen's ability is canceled, making only one of the two reach it's full potential (which would actually be quite low, admittedly, in that context)?

I was actually wondering about a card with one Gaia's chosen, and two ent elder's. Is that now a ten point card ? (8 for Gaia's ability and two more for what's on the Gaia upgrade?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Yes. If you cover text with other text, only the top one applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.