Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Cross posted from the August SGOYT list (Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games On Your Table: August 2016" )]

Had a go today with all the updated components for this 2016 PnP Solitaire Contest entry ([WIP] Artisans - 2016 Solitaire PNP Contest [CONTEST READY]), which has been shaping up quite well. You play as a young hard working craftsman, competing to complete commissions and earn a good reputation against Sharespike, your very talented but lazy rival. You acquire raw material, which you then shape into components, which are then combined to fulfill commissions. If things aren't going well you can also buy the components instead of crafting them, but they will only get you so far, and to really show the clients your stuff you'll have to create high quality components, or finish the item in record time. Sharespike on the other hand has no such issues - he'll just throw some time together and viola - masterpiece - if he can be bothered to do so.

Game all set up and ready to play

Use of your skills is represented by dice, and the number you roll depends on your skill level. Some components are more difficult to create than others, but fortunately as you practice more your skill improves, and you get more dice to use. There are only a limited number of actions in the game, and useing these wisely is the key to victory. Success on crafting won't always go your way (although there are ways to balance the odds in your favor), and adapting to failures is also is key skill in this game. If plan A fails, go to plan B. Just remember to keep an eye on your rival, and remember, don't promise to do more than you can, as you'll loose reputation as a result.

This session didn't have the most glorious of starts - poor rolling resulted in the failure to complete the first commission that I had planned on doing, so I had to go to plan B - craft some goods, recover some money, and buy more materials to try again. Due to this Sharespike got an early lead, completing the first commission, and a second before I could as well, but after that, through some hard work on my characters part, and a little manipulation on what was being completed, I managed to sneak ahead, and finished the game on the same reputation level as Sharespike, but with more points of completed of commissions. Final Score 20-12. Sharespike's laziness was his undoing.

Game at end. Sharespikes completed commissions are tucked in at the top, while the player completed ones are on their side at the bottom. The ones tucked in at the side were discarded without either player completing them.

thumbsup Clear rules and smooth gameplay. It doesn't take much to learn this game, and it comes with an introductory mode. The real game lies with Sharespike, and it is recommended that players do move onto playing against him.
thumbsup Beautiful grey-scale art that fits the theme perfectly.
thumbsup Only 4 pages of components, and only 2 of those are cards. The others are game boards which don't require any effort to prepare. Additional components are minimal (7 dice, 4 markers, and a selection of cubes)

Well worth having a look at
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Paper 'Mech - winner 'Best Overall Design' in the 2016 1-page PNP Contest
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the excellent session report, Israel

If you find you are consistently beating Shearspike, you could try the game with the difficulty options added. I know it's more book-keeping, but always interested to hear others thoughts on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.