Popular Tags: [View All]
michele sommi
Italy
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Had a couple of games using this board and I found it quite though to play. One game it was coupled with Polania in a 4p game and the lack of oil made the upgrades very Difficult to achieve. The second game, it was coupled with saxony in a 2p game vs Crimea/agricultural and that was also a disaster. In particular I am concerned that this board might fall behind vs boards where the upgrade needs 2 oils where this one needs 3. Also the 4 irons for mechs was quite taxing for saxony strategy and Crimea had a much better start with the village available from start. Ultimately, the Crimean mech ability to steal battle cards made the military route not viable and therefore I had to sit back and watch the game unfolding vs a faction with a much faster economy. So here is the main concern. Are the 2 oil upgrade boards better and easier to play ? Is this one harder to play ? Any tips ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to get to a point where you're paying 1 Wood for two Power, two Coin, and two Heart.

As Polania, it is critical that you rush your local encounter, because its yield will strongly inform the rest of your opening -- specifically, whether you will be able to get off the island efficiently.

In your particular situation, I would probably have gone Produce, Move (Farm), Produce, Move (Village, Encounter) + Enlist, and the follow-up depends on what that encounter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Polania is always a wild card for me. Their starting terrain is pretty bad and a lot of what they can do is dictated by their first encounter.

For Saxony my first tip is don't assume that rushing all your workers out to the board is an automatic go to strategy for every board. While it is strong there are definitely alternatives and I've found Saxony with their low starting power is one of the best low worker Factions. Here is a sample of a possible Saxony opening.

1. Move (Character out, metal worker to village)
2. Trade (2 oil)
3. Produce (1 oil, 1 worker) upgrade (move -> upgrade)
4. Move (2 village workers to oil and metal, character to encounter)

So its worth noting that at this point you have an encounter which I'm not factoring in. Depending on what you got you may be able to leapfrog a few steps. Regardless by having 2 workers on oil and only 3 workers total you are in the rather nice position of being able to produce right into an upgrade without needing to pay for the production.

5. Produce (2 oil, 1 metal) upgrade (move power bolster cube -> deploy)
6. Trade (2 metal) deploy a mech
7. Produce (2 oil, 1 metal) upgrade (move something -> deploy).

So now your mechs are down to costing 2 metal. Conveniently they are linked to trade which means you can trade for 2 metal right into a brand spanking new mech but since we are producing metal you only need to trade for 1 metal and the other resource can be whatever you want (like maybe wood).

8. Trade (1 metal, 1 wood) deploy a mech
9. Produce (2 oil, 1 metal) upgrade (move something -> build)
10. Trade (1 metal, 1 wood) deploy a mech
11. Produce (2 oil, 1 metal) upgrade (move something -> build)

So 11 turns. You have 3 mechs and can easily get a 4th. You also have 5 upgrade cubes placed and can easily place a 6th. You're structures are down to costing 1 wood and you should have 3 saved up. Admittedly I'm not very familiar with how fast other strats work but I believe this is reasonable set-up for a non-"rush the factory" start.

It will also be appreciated that steps 9~11 don't need to happen immediately. If you have both Underpass and Speed you can detour and move your units out through the Mountain although you are going to want to be careful where you place your workers. A downside to the small worker strategy is less flexibility in where you can build/what resources you have especially if you want to continue upgrading although if you find a good opportunity feel free to grow your work force if you think it would be useful

If you can try to get the structure recruit out so you get lots of popularity when you build and work the bolsters to give you resources for combat (both bolsters should be available to you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Polania lacks oil and metal, you can almost always ignore your mat and plan on move / trade for 2 metal / move as your first 3 actions, then decide if you are going to be building a mech or tunnel next, depending on how the encounter goes. Ideally, you want both, so you can get speed right away.

Saxony with Engineering should have been straight-forward: get to 5 (and only 5) workers ASAP, upgrade your upgrade cost ASAP, then alternate between produce-upgrade and trade until you get free of the starting island. Always keep workers / mill positioned for 2 oil production.

But you asked about Engineering, not Polania or Saxony. The engineering bolster action is pretty great, as it's going to get you lots of popularity once it's fully developed, so unless you're Crimea, this is the best ROI bottom-row action. Engineering's Trade / Deploy is actually a big help for Crimea and Polania, and both Move / Enlist and Produce / Upgrade have interesting military applications. Overall a pretty well balanced mat, definitely not the most challenging of the 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
I had a really strong Nord+Engineering game where I built no mechs until the second to last round (had an objective for 3 structures, zero mechs, 7 popularity). Nords worked with the mat because their starting hexes let them produce the materials needed to alternate the two high-reward actions (Produce+Upgrade and Bolster+Structure), and with their swimming workers they can get away with avoiding the bad mech-build action (at least until it's fully upgraded).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
I had a really strong Nord+Engineering game where I built no mechs until the second to last round (had an objective for 3 structures, zero mechs, 7 popularity). Nords worked with the mat because their starting hexes let them produce the materials needed to alternate the two high-reward actions (Produce+Upgrade and Bolster+Structure), and with their swimming workers they can get away with avoiding the bad mech-build action (at least until it's fully upgraded).

Yeah, I think the Nordic+Engineering combo is really strong. Had that the last time I played...got to 6 stars and won in 19 turns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, blue and red have a good time with engineering.
It is surprising that engineering was a problem for playing black, because black usually has a problem with their production being sub-par. Engineering is the only board that allows a produce-upgrade engine. Black usually doesn't want to squirt out all its workers, but this board would motivate one to do so.

White has to focus on it's strengths when engineering. Taking early productions to build out of their starting territories. White would rather submerge out, but it is not that easy with this board. Luckily the build and enlist costs are low, and have some coinage attached to them. It sucks to have to take time off to bolster to build, but white also needs some combat power to stop its character from being pushed back in combat. Early workers are important so that produce actions give enough food and wood to build and enlist without having to trade too much. Upgrades are going to be hard, so it is important to take oil or an upgrade through encounter cards when possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hütig
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Polonia is really good with engineering, because you get wood easily and building gives lots of money and is cheaper. Get the mill on the woods and start churning out those buildings. With some trades get the +1 move mech so your hero can go through your mine to catch some of the events.

I'd go for mil and pop stars along with buildings, recruits, mission and a fight (or maybe two fights for either mil or pop).

I'd go produce, trade (2 wood), bolster+build (mill on wood), produce, trade (metal), produce, trade (metal)+mech (haste) on food, move (hero, mech and worker on village)+event+recruit (build), bolster+build (mine on village) and then you're in mid game so it depends on what the others did and what your events were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "Back to Work" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Any tips on Crimea using the Engineering. I'm really struggling with this combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Parsons
United States
California
flag msg tools
Build your mine first thing...produce up to 5 workers and move two of them to one of the oil tunnels...upgrade so that youre producing 2 oil and doing the upgrade action every other turn. You never have to worry about opponents stealing your oil because you're spending them as soon as you produce them. I just did this strategy playing Polania engineering in a tournament and won

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.