15 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » General

Subject: Love the look of the Expansion but.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Airk Doehlman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love Legendary so much! This box will definitely be added to my collection within weeks of release, but personally, after viewing all the content included, I feel they might have a missed opportunity.

If you look at all the content included (heroes, villains, masterminds mainly) they are kind of one sided. For the most part, the heroes are unregistered heroes or those who chose to take no real stance, while the villains and masterminds follow those that did decide to register.

I feel that Civil War (and subsequently Civil War 2) is an expansive enough comic event, that it could easily warrant the creation of a Vol. 2.
Vol. 2 could easily flip the tables and make the heroes the registered ones (I mean we now have like 7 hero Captain Americas!!!!!!!!, why so few Iron Men?) and the villains and masterminds could be the unregistered. With Civil War 2 going on right now too, you could even include some content from that one if enough content couldn't be drawn from the first Civil War alone.

These are just some personal musings of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more villian/mastermind Iron Man the better...man, I hate that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Although I agree, I don't want a repeat of Secret Wars. Each expansion should stand on its own. I feel we've started to go away from the feeling expansions used to give. Once upon a time, we could tell new people to get the set that showcases the part of Marvel they like. You like Spider-Man, here's a Spider-Man set. Here's a Guardians of the Galaxy set, wasn't that movie awesome? You like X-Men, well sadly you're forced to just buy everything, because X-Men are everywhere and to make a set themed on them would oversaturate the game.
Secret Wars really hurt this idea. It was all the alternate realities fused together and themed on an event more than the characters. For people like me that don't follow the comics, these sets just introduced a lot of characters that, while interesting, weren't quite what we wanted, like Beast not being an X-Man. Captain America 75 went completely the opposite way, focusing very exclusively on Captain America's history. It did oversaturate CA significantly, but it was at least mostly generic enough that it could apply to random scenarios. Civil War is at least a much more well-known event, but the cards largely lend themselves more to the restrictive Civil War event than a general random fanfic that so often occurs with Legendary. Making a part 2 of this on the other side would make this even crazier, but also sacrifice opportunity to show off other parts. We're still waiting on a Phoenix Saga set, an Asgard theme, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Brophy
msg tools
I don't think that two Civil War expansions are the same as two Secret Wars expansions because more of the characters had major roles in the event but were still normal characters who exist in the Marvel Universe. Aside from the Storm/Black panther combo and Daredevil/Iron Fist there is nothing that only makes sense around the time of that event. Even the villains can also be used as enemies in the Villains set to have stories nothing like the Civil War comic. I definitely agree with your problems with the Secret Wars stuff though. The second volume especially had a lot of stuff which would be non-sequiturs to anyone who didn't read the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I feel the gap between potential and final product is pretty big. This set may edge out the Secret Wars sets based on a handful of familiar characters to me. And as I do like the divided card idea, it totally whiffs concerning a 'Civil War' vibe.

I'm happy for more Legendary, regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt we'll see a Civil War Vol. 2, but I'd love to see it nevertheless. It would be a perfect time for heroes like Iron Man, Mighty Avenger, Ms Marvel (Danvers), Yellowjacket, She-Hulk, Wasp, Iron Spider-Man, and perhaps some of the villains who were drafted into the registration side. It would also be nice to see Villain groups that include anti-registration groups for the balance, and new groups like the Dark Avengers and the Lethal Legion. We have no idea what the next expansion will be after Deadpool, though, and perhaps they will find a way to incorporate these ideas and characters soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love our next big box to include special Bindings. That way we can have a handful of extra heroes/allies that refer to Bindings to join the characters from Villains and Fear Itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want our next Big Box to have Heroes fighting Villains, not other Heroes.

And I want more repeated Keywords and fewer new ones.

And no more gimmicks like "Divided"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneak preview of the next Legendary set's inspiration...

(Yes, that's one card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
I just want our next Big Box to have Heroes fighting Villains, not other Heroes.

Amen brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:

I'll second this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stroud
msg tools
Thud105 wrote:

Completely agree. I like the Masterminds in this set but 9 times out of 10 we're gonna want to play against villains. And as I feared, I hate the Divided look. If I want to play with Hercules I should be able to without Cho showing up. I'd rather Cho have his own set. In reality, there are maybe 5 new heroes out of this set we'll play with consistently because I just don't like the Divided feature. I know I'm in the minority on this though. Love the new sidekicks, wounds, bystanders, and artwork though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingMastodon wrote:
If I want to play with Hercules I should be able to without Cho showing up.

Holy Cow!!! Stop reading my thoughts Charles Xavier!!!! This is the one big example that always comes to mind for me on this topic! I was so happy to have Hercules, but I have to suffer with having a Divided card (which I really don't like) and it has Amadeus Cho as well (I'm not a fan of him) so it's a double gut punch for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thud105 wrote:

Please listen to this person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenyxie Wright
msg tools
Personally, I don't want Civil War volume 2 or even Civil War II because I'm tired of heroes fighting heroes....

But I do feel like this set wasted a number of opportunities being so anti-reg flavored. I consider myself a pretty big Cap fan, and even I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the fact he's overtaken Wolverine in number of hero card sets. What I was really hoping for was the chance to get a Captain America mastermind(commander) set to use in my Villains games, because screw Fury leading the Avengers. But nope. Not to be.

(Man I am going to be so very disappointed if we get a mastermind Cap and it's Hydra!Cap.)

Meanwhile, while I actually really do like the Iron Man mastermind, I'd've killed for an Iron Man Director of SHIELD hero card set to be the mirror to the Steve Rogers Director of SHIELD set. Especially since my Iron Man set from the base game doesn't see much play anymore (doesn't seem competitive with expansion sets) and Superior Iron Man gets stocked with my Villains game (and his rare is rarely useful, especially when your player count never goes higher than 3 ).

But at least I have options when it comes to Iron Man. Here's an Avengers heavy big box set, and still no Wasp. Sure, there's a set dedicated to the Punisher being possessed by Doctor Strange, but Wasp? Pfft.

Oh well. Maybe sometime after Deadpool I'll get lucky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.