Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now enjoyed 13 games of AofE (it has kept me entertained and sane during a recent illness) and I think I have the rules pretty well nailed down now. I just have a few questions which I cannot resolve in spite of studying the rules again. My problem now is that I’ve read the same paragraphs so often, that I’m in danger of missing bits, if that makes sense.

So apologies to Tom in advance if these are covered in the rules but I have tried to find answers. Here goes:-

1. Status Change
If an expedition is already in a space containing a status change (SC) arrow which it is entitled to use, does it have to make progress that turn (obviously rejecting movement) in order to be allowed to change status. Example: In Figure 10 of the Let’s Play section of the rules the card shows - At Sea: No Event. Sea Progress 1 and a Discovery. The expedition changes status. Would the expedition have been able to do this if the card had not shown/allowed progress?

Rule 8. CHANGE EXPEDITION STATUS says: “After all movement, an expedition in a space containing a status change arrow may shift across it …….”

I have therefore been assuming that if no movement is possible then no SC can occur. This means that an expedition already in a SC space off the coast, which did not status change when arriving, would not be able to land if it made no progress that turn through say: failing navigation in a hurricane, battening down the hatches, getting lost, having missionary anger natives etc. Thematically this limit seems correct, as landfall in a hurricane for example would be difficult, but makes things harder. Is it what the rules intend?

2. Leader Death
When a leader with ship handling skills of +1 or +2 dies does the expedition have to reduce to 1 ship as the Second in Command has ship handling of +0? I have assumed “yes” and used ship consolidation rules to transfer crew where possible before abandoning the surplus vessel(s).

3. River Navigation
As rivers are treated as a subset of coast on the Sea Exploration Cards, I assume that a navigation check when on a river is against the Leader’s Sea Navigation stat. This assumption also means that a Guide cannot be used on a river. This seems to be what the rules intend but it could be argued that land navigation plus a guide where available would be thematically valid?

4. Major Expedition Reporting
The rules are quite clear that “When a major expedition is completed, the player receives VPs only for it, not for any other discoveries (or major expeditions) made while performing that expedition.” What about discoveries that contribute to the number of outfitting cards received for the next expedition, are they also ignored? I have assumed that they are not ignored and that Channels, Hardwood, Gold, Porters chit etc. do give extra cards even when a major expedition is reported.

5. Native Guide Limit
Native Guide (and Interpreter) cards state that only one is allowed per expedition. The play mat says the same. I assume that this means one Guide full stop and not one CA Guide, one NA Guide etc. If this is correct then an expedition would have to abandon a CB Guide employed during outfitting (say) if it subsequently gained a SA Guide through exploration. Correct?

Hopefully that all makes sense and I haven't missed something embarrassingly obvious in the rules!

Regards
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: 5 More Rules Questions
Four out of five isn't bad.

1. Progress is only associated with movement. You can make a status change even if you made no progress that turn.

The references to "after all movement" are in the rules since there was a tendency observed during playtesting for players in a Land Sighted Box to draw a "D" (discovery result) and then want to status change to the adjacent coast space and then move from there (this doesn't work since movement is before any status change).

2. Correct (provided the deceased leader wasn't a Conquistador with a Pilot). You always remove pieces as necessary to fit a new leader's capabilities after changing leaders (as per the rule for doing so when outfitting).

3. Correct; you use the sea navigation rating for navigation checks in river spaces, ignoring any guide for that region (note that river spaces are labeled R1, R2..., not NA, SA, etc. as the Guides are). Historically, over the river distances traveled by raft, a guide would be of little use.

4. Correct; discoveries that directly contribute to outfitting cards do increase the number of outfitting cards received after completing a major expedition. Discoveries that would contribute additional VPs (and thus outfitting cards) that are not explicitly listed as producing card draws are marked off but do not add VPs nor outfitting cards.

5. Correct; the limit is one guide per expedition. As always when taking on a new item that results in violating some outfitting or expedition rule, remove items (your choice) until you are no longer in violation.

Glad that Age was able to entertain you during your recent illness; I hope you are feeling better now.

Take care,
tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 5 More Rules Questions
Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm pleased I hadn't missed something obvious in the rules.

Your point re Pilots and Conquistadors is a useful reminder.

I'm almost disappointed that you can status change even without progress that turn. I'd established my logic for my interpretation and accepted the increased difficulty. I might keep it as a house rule for my solitaire sessions but play properly for multi player games.

Anyway thanks again and good luck with your new game ventures.

Best regards
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having complained elsewhere about meaningless Subject wording on Rules Questions I noticed that 8 years ago I posted this thread with the subject of:-

"5 More Rules Questions"

which is terrible - so on the basis that it's never too late, I've changed the title.

I am now going to dust off my AoE box, custom cards and counters and give it another whirl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.