Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Open Doors Block range too?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does the range block for doors only count for closed doors? For me it doesn't make any sense to not be able too shoot through an open door!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no concept of closed or open doors in the game. There are just doors, and you can't take range through them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Works both ways though. Can't shoot through a door, but also don't have to do a horror check through a door.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Omg this explains why I had such a hard time I was doing horror checks left and right because I thought range carried over through doors .

Another question since this one has already been answered; I had the chance to barricade stuff but what is the point, the app never once mentioned it and clearly does not take it into account when spawning monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Omg this explains why I had such a hard time I was doing horror checks left and right because I thought range carried over through doors .

Another question since this one has already been answered; I had the chance to barricade stuff but what is the point, the app never once mentioned it and clearly does not take it into account when spawning monsters?

The app doesn't acknowledge the existence of barricades at all (except when placing them). Read the section on Barricades in the Rules Reference Guide and this should answer your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be aware that Light Sources can bleed through doors (whether barricaded or not) into adjacent spaces containing Darkness (but not through walls).

I guess the light shines through the crack under the door... horror movie style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Just be aware that Light Sources can bleed through doors (whether barricaded or not) into adjacent spaces containing Darkness (but not through walls).

I guess the light shines through the crack under the door... horror movie style.

Exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf White
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So I got a question regarding adjacent space. Star Spawn tried to attack me up to two adjacent spaces. Rooms are adjacent by door and walls. Does it mean it can attack me through doors and walls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okkoo wrote:
So I got a question regarding adjacent space. Star Spawn tried to attack me up to two adjacent spaces. Rooms are adjacent by door and walls. Does it mean it can attack me through doors and walls?

Walls block any effects that refer to adjacent spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

The app does take them into account, but monsters all have a brawn value, and if it's high enough they ignore barricades.

So...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the first scenario if you block the entrance to the kitchen with the bookshelf, the monster that appears through that door later is not stopped by the blockade, as their brawn value is high enough to ignore it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okkoo wrote:

It's a very subtle distinction, but to add on to Chris's answer (which is correct), walls don't block adjacency itself -- two spaces separated by a wall are still adjacent.

However, Walls block movement, effects that refer to adjacent spaces (like light sources and fire spreading), and range (which means it blocks attacks and horror checks). However, some monsters, like Ghosts, can move through walls, as the app specifically allows it.

Doors block range only. Investigators and monsters can move through doors, light sources penetrate doors, fire can spread through doors, but ranged effects cannot go through doors (so doors block ranged attacks and horror checks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

The app does take them into account, but monsters all have a brawn value, and if it's high enough they ignore barricades.

So...

In the first scenario if you block the entrance to the kitchen with the bookshelf, the monster that appears through that door later is not stopped by the blockade, as their brawn value is high enough to ignore it.

Not quite. All monsters have to make a Brawl check when attempting to move through a Barricade. When this happens, the monster rolls dice equal to its Brawn score and if it gets two or more successes, the Barricade is destroyed and the monster continues moving. If the monster gets one success or fewer, the monster stops moving and forfeits the rest of its movement (Rules Reference, p. 5). It's possible that a monster with a high Brawn value could still get unlucky and fail the check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Nofunatalll wrote:

So...

How did the app know that you had pushed the barricade in front of the door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It doesn't know, it's up to the players to check if a monster's movement would pass through a barricade.

The example that was mentioned is a case of a special scenario spawn event, not movement. It's just unfortunate that event mentions a monster "breaking through a door" and players might be confused if they had put a barricade there and think the monster might need to destroy the barricade before proceeding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daverman wrote:
It doesn't know, it's up to the players to check if a monster's movement would pass through a barricade.

The example that was mentioned is a case of a special scenario spawn event, not movement. It's just unfortunate that event mentions a monster "breaking through a door" and players might be confused if they had put a barricade there and think the monster might need to destroy the barricade before proceeding.

I'm actually aware of that, but I was wondering how the guy I was quoting thought the app knew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
There is no concept of closed or open doors in the game. There are just doors, and you can't take range through them

What about the solid yellow line (eg. like the one in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room)? Does that count as a door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Works both ways though. Can't shoot through a door, but also don't have to do a horror check through a door.

-shnar

That explains a lot.

Perhaps my next playthrough will not feel as punishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daxis32 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

What about the solid yellow line (eg. like the one in the doorway between the kitchen and dining room)? Does that count as a door?

Nope. That's a border...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.