Hide
24 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: It's really frustrating waiting for them to produce Core sets. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolf Dude
msg tools
The demand is ridiculous and yet the company who made this don't seem interested what so ever to make any new core sets, it's mind boggling. The only thing they seem interested in is selling expansions to a small user base. Then you have the vultures in ebay who are selling the game for $800+ and I'm seeing listings of up to $2000. It's crazy, why don't they do another Kickstarter? They are just ignoring people who keep asking them about a core set in FB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Adam has said on several occasions that a reprint is happening. The delay is more than likely due to the core being changed to 1.4 rather than not caring about its fanbase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Dude
msg tools
malkaven wrote:
Adam has said on several occasions that a reprint is happening. The delay is more than likely due to the core being changed to 1.4 rather than not caring about its fanbase.

Has there been any indication of when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A fellow BGG'er at Goncon was able to get this information.

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616215/poots-reprint

Adam has been sending out monthly updates via the newsletter. I'm sure he will write about the status of the game and his plans in regards to the reprint in the August update. It sounds like he's going back to Kickstarter though as you suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. I heard zero talk from Mr. Poots or his staff regarding a/the Kickstarter when they were discussing the reprint of the core and base game. While enlightening to talk to "the man" himself, it was frustrating that he talked without specifics on timing and mechanisms of ordering (website vs Kickstarter).

And still no specific details re: the Lantern Festival is a bum for me as a fan (other than staff talk that it is still in deep re-development).

I'd imagine a Kickstarter who has already "paid" for this content, however discounted, is even more bummed/upset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
June 16th, 2016 Kingdom Death Newletter wrote:

KDU#16 - KDM Reprint Confirmed!
I am getting slammed everyday with emails from people all over the world asking about Kingdom Death:Monster. “Do you have any left in stock?” “Will there be a reprint?” “Can I buy your copy?!”

The volume is crazy and I totally give in. Let's do it, let's make more! Reprint confirmed. That's all the detail I can share at this time.

It's not really taking any longer for this reprint than any other board game. It hasn't been sold out for very long and if they restock by Q1, then it'll have been about 9 months between the game selling out in the webstore and the reprint. Compare that to games that sit idle for years (current ferver that comes to mind: Gates of Loyang, Ore et Labora, Luna, all the Kanizia games that just saw a reprint, a bunch of recent Splotter games, etc).

Quote:
I'd imagine a Kickstarter who has already "paid" for this content, however discounted, is even more bummed/upset.

Yep! That same newsletter said 9/16 for Lantern Festival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
The newsletter said "TBA September 2016". Doesn't that mean that the ANNOUNCEMENT will be made in Sept. 2016?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
The newsletter said "TBA September 2016". Doesn't that mean that the ANNOUNCEMENT will be made in Sept. 2016?

Heh. I didn't even catch that. It was a preannouncement months in advance for the full announcement. I guess that's...something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lake Giles
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf_Dude80 wrote:
The demand is ridiculous and yet the company who made this don't seem interested what so ever to make any new core sets

So you just didn't bother to do ANY research before coming here to bitch? Well done sir.

Quote:
Then you have the vultures in ebay who are selling the game for $800+ and I'm seeing listings of up to $2000.

If you bothered to look closely, the standard core game (that retails for $400) is typically selling for around $600'ish right now. The $800+ listings have tons of unnecessary optional kickstarter extras.

Some of the "$2000"ish auctions, like one that ended yesterday for $1800, are actually the core game + all expansions. Since the MSRP of all of the expansions + the core is around $1500'ish, that's not too far out of bounds.

Quote:
It's crazy, why don't they do another Kickstarter?

They've announced it. Google is your friend. Or this forum?

Quote:
They are just ignoring people who keep asking them about a core set in FB.

They're busy working on a reprint. Thus they don't have time to answer questions that have been posted elsewhere

I think that about covers it. /thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's really frustrating waiting for them to produce Core sets.

That's funny, I'm tired of waiting for the expansion I ordered in 2012 that hasn't arrived.

Kickstarters take a hell of a lot of work (esp. if you want to maintain an image and your last one was very successful), and they're working on a new edition, producing new content, and still have original content to fulfill.

Yeah, I get that you want your toys, but so do a lot of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Fontaine
France
flag msg tools
mb
First KS nov 2012/janv 2013 - delivery sept/oct 2015

If you are not patient, this game is not for you.
I don't know why they take their time but there must be a good reason. They don't let themselves go easier because people want their game quickly. They dont want to rush things half finished just to get some cash.

Worthy things take time to get.

Remember that for the base game only (and probably for the expansions too), it's not the same factories that produce the miniatures, the cards, the box, the book, the insert. You have to coordinate all of those to get a complete game, and maybe another party to put everything together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K R
Austria
flag msg tools
You think that's frustrating? You already know that there gonna be a reprint...
It's more frustrating to check the shop every day and see that there is still no expansions available in EU!
Just relax and be patient my friend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
And I'm frustrated trying to find time to play the game with friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Vogler
Austria
flag msg tools
decrion13 wrote:
You think that's frustrating? You already know that there gonna be a reprint...
It's more frustrating to check the shop every day and see that there is still no expansions available in EU!
Just relax and be patient my friend...

Yes, indeed! This is absolutly frustrating! In August there will be a restock, but what is the exactly date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
t3clis wrote:

It also says he will give the final kickstarter update in September along with the digital art book, the art book being the final item people get. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the announcement of the lantern festival changes coincides with the announcement that it's shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
cormor321 wrote:
t3clis wrote:

It also says he will give the final kickstarter update in September along with the digital art book, the art book being the final item people get. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the announcement of the lantern festival changes coincides with the announcement that it's shipping.

No. There's some painting guides that were also promised along with the artbook and the Latern Festival (if you purchased it...I didn't cry ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Zenman12 wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
t3clis wrote:

No. There's some painting guides that were also promised along with the artbook and the Latern Festival (if you purchased it...I didn't cry ).

The painting guides are done and waiting on final approval to be uploaded.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't go up until the september kickstarter update though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerAnton Larsson
Sweden
Örnsköldsvik
flag msg tools
May I ask, What was the price on the website for the Core Box, and if someone might know, the shipping to Europe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maldrok wrote:
May I ask, What was the price on the website for the Core Box, and if someone might know, the shipping to Europe?

During the pre-order phase, the price was $300 US but shipping was not included. Later, the price went up to $400, but shipping was included.

I'm in Canada, and as I recall the shipping cost was ~$50, but I don't know what European shipping costs were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got an offer of shipping from warehouse, shipping is $15 flat. Otherwise, it's either ~30 dollars (normal) or ~60 (priority) more. Add to that full VAT, if not shipping from EU warehouse (if shipping from EU, no VAT is due).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter allows small companies (and Poots definitely qualifies!) to acquire funds to create product, but that's about it. It doesn't turn Poots -- or other KS creators -- into retail companies, despite the quality of product some of these creators are putting out. This not only means that you will not see many small company games in retail (the discount distributors require is steep), but you won't see these games in stock or reprinted like you're used to with retail company games (larger companies can risk the minimum printing numbers by keeping assets in inventory, smaller companies can get killed by overestimating demand for their product).

The reality is that, for companies that cannot take retail-level risk of excess inventory, small companies will only print as much as they have crowdfunding and pre-orders for, plus only a small amount for future web sales. Maybe things will change again once 3D printers and other home publishing technology will shift the printing responsibilities to the consumer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I think getting upset that the reprint hasn't happened yet is a bit... silly.

Firstly, you have to keep in mind that Poots wouldn't want to lose money on the venture. He needs to take in to consideration the cost of the project in relation to the demand. We see lots of demand because we look for KD:M news. That doesn't mean that there's enough to just print more copies willy nilly. Additionally, the size of the run needs to be taken in to consideration. Smaller runs will cost more. This needs to be taken in to consideration.

Secondly, just because people say they're going to buy it doesn't mean they WILL buy it when it's available. This game is VERY high cost (justifiably, though) and some people might say they're going to get it without actually intended to (it's a dream of theirs), and some people's financial circumstances may change, preventing them from getting it even though they legitimately wanted to buy it.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure that the manufacturing companies are leaving their factories open just for this game. There will mostly likely be a delay before the order to the factories go in and when they can actually start production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.