Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: That art - worst individual card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we all have our opinions on the art in this game but on the whole I think it's fair to say that many people have been err...shall we say 'disappointed'.

It left me wondering which card, if voted for by the people here, would run away with the award for the absolute worst of the bunch.

There are many, many, truly horrendous and frankly laughable entries (far too many to list) but my vote, after much deliberation is going to 'Shot'.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Come on guys, get your nominations in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemek
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for:
All of them.
This graphics are athe only reason that I don`t want to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worthy mention:

Playing you from the start (Inara) - where is her neck?
Badger (enemy) - if wasn't for the bowler hat . . . .
Almost all the Crew Strike cards - odd or comically bad poses.

The grand winner is:

Flaw - awful awful, truly dreadful style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the worst part - we do not even know whom to blame!
The artists, for creating such abominations?
The art directors, for accepting this ugly mess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of a desire for balanced discussion I think we could do with a contrasting thread to nominate cards that have found favour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Out of a desire for balanced discussion I think we could do with a contrasting thread to nominate cards that have found favour.

Well if we must devil

Just kidding - I think some of them are actually quite good.

It tends to be either the ones without main characters (Patience's Sniper, for example) or the ones with no characters at all (the ships, Alliance Cruiser, Cry Baby etc).

But they are definitely in the minority.

My vote for the best would be 'Take On Passengers' Side Job. Nicely evocative of the show and that scene and it includes main characters that I actually recognize (although granted, we can only see the back of Book's head).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Narits
Estonia
Tartu
flag msg tools
Mickey Stirrups wrote:

It tends to be either the ones without main characters (Patience's Sniper, for example) or the ones with no characters at all (the ships, Alliance Cruiser, Cry Baby etc).

Cards with no characters on them seem to be quite good. Almost every card with a person on it looks really ugly as if the artist(s) don't know how to draw a decent human being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurjajuur wrote:
Mickey Stirrups wrote:

Cards with no characters on them seem to be quite good. Almost every card with a person on it looks really ugly as if the artist(s) don't know how to draw a decent human being.

This is me. All non-character cards look great, all character cards look horrible. Some are barely recognizable. It's dropped from my 'must buy' list to 'like to have' if someone gifted it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. I literally played my first game of Marvel Legendary yesterday (liked it), and found out today that both "Big Trouble in Little China" and "Firefly" are getting their own releases this week. I'm normally a fan of original art over grainy, dated screencaps, but both games are definitely a mixed bag. The ship and non-character cards do look good, but the others....it's a shame they cheaped out on artist and/or likeness fees. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Keep this up and you're going to make the artist(s) for the game cry themselves to sleep when they see this thread. And they were so proud of their published work too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should feel bad. They should be ashamed. On facebook, reddit and BGG people complain about the artwork. Ratings reach new lows for a Legendary game. People cancel their orders. I love the Legendary system and I hate to see people disappointed by it simply because of the artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiny has my vote. It's just painful to look at, and it's in your hand all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remo williams
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's my reaction from just hearing about this other day (and being a HUGE Firefly fan), checking into it, seeing the art, being utterly horrified and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talent and Flaw are pretty rough. Not sure I can pick a "favorite" between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
The worst to me are the Strike cards. Particularly the two where it looks like the characters portrayed have pancake makeup on. Electrocuted and... Terrified (Inara's face: that's Inara, right?) And River looks insane, not terrified.

Mal on Shot looks like a concentration camp survivor. The one with Kaylee is tolerable, but the rest are all uniformly horrible. And cartoony-looking, which doesn't gibe with the more realistic "feel" of most other cards.

The Simon card where he's holding River--Mei-Mei?-- is also really bad. The Simon character there looks nothing like the one on the other cards.

The best? Probably the Avatar and Side Job cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is the card that is supposed to feature the beautiful, nay, intoxicating, Inara Serra.

Currently being portrayed by the hideous she-goblin partially hiding in the dark (and for good reason) as pictured in this game on the Avatar 7 card.

I mean, sure, a trained companion carefully screens and chooses her clients, but this...they'd all have to be drunk. Like really drunk. Possibly blind. Likely both.

I know several spoke out against having stills from the show/movie on these cards (you know who you are) and here is where we landed.

I'm just really grateful the cards have text, it's basically the only way we'll know when we are using Wash vs Kaylee and apparently *sigh* the text on the card will be the only way to distinguish Inara from Badger.

Looking forward to when some enterprising ambitious soul scans all of these cards and replaces the crayon scribbles 'artwork' with stills from the show/movie and formats them for print on Artscow, CowCow or PrinterStudio. Allowing those so inclined to be able to play without wincing!

Huzzah!
~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gislef wrote:
The worst to me are the Strike cards. Particularly the two where it looks like the characters portrayed have pancake makeup on. Electrocuted and... Terrified (Inara's face: that's Inara, right?) And River looks insane, not terrified.

Mel on Shot looks like a concentration camp survivor. The one with Kaylee is tolerable, but the rest are all uniformly horrible. And cartoony-looking, which doesn't gibe with the more realistic "feel" of most other cards.

The Simon card where he's holding River--Mei-Mei?-- is also really bad. The Simon character there looks nothing like the one on the other cards.

The best? Probably the Avatar and Side Job cards.

Totally agree.

They're funny, but at the same time, they're really not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean B
United States
Abandoned Oil Rig
Gulf of Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I think you guys are massively exaggerating the art quality, I have to say that "Playing You from the Start" and Flaw are both hideous. I don't have problems with the rest.

Best card is definitely Keeping Jayne in Line. How can you not love that horrified face?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm not as disappointed about the art quality as I am about the variation in it. There are definitely good cards among them, but it's just all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the major problem is that a character isn't recognizable between cards. E.g. from what I can understand all of the below are supposed to be Mal and to me they look like three or four different persons (I'm guessing that this will also make sorting the cards annoying):

It's also a problem to me that the art style is inconsistent. E.g. compare the first Mal above with the "Shiny" card below:

The inconsistency works against my suspension of disbelief like a handdrawn comic book style Iron Man showing up in a superhero movie that's otherwise real humans and CGI.

There's nothing wrong with either of those styles, but they don't mix well.

For context, I have no problem with bad or simplistic art, as long as it's functional and consistent, e.g. I have no problem with either of these two:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I was looking up some artists and came across Firefly the 'verse trading cards by upper deck. (http://upperdeckblog.com/2015/10/firefly-the-verse/
scroll down on that page, and check out the Leather Variants...)

It looks to me like the art for the trading cards was a pretty mixed bag, but there's definitely some good art in there, including great art of the main characters looking very much like themselves.

At least a few of the artists from the game made art for the trading cards
Chris Meeks did a Cry-Baby for the trading cards:
http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/830995-upper-d...
compare to the game:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3127514/orange-rhino?size=la...

Scroll down a couple posts on the blowoutcards forum, and check out Tim Shay's main character art. Why couldn't we get art like this for Legendary?

DJ Parnell did some work on both. I can't find any static links to any of his work really, but if you do a Google image search for DJ Parnell Firefly, some of his cards will probably turn up.

Another is Bill Pulkovski...he seems to be responsible for the weird outlining stuff going on.

Anyways, it's interesting to me that they had those particular artists work on Legendary, given the work they did on the trading cards. This does not appear to be an accident of any sort.

Looking over the other artists, there are a few that I think might have done some of the character cards (because they have some of the same feel to the art)...but their other artwork all looks pretty good, or spitting image likeness. So I'm wondering if the graphic design process messed things up, or if some artists were asked to match a different style or what...
It's just weird to me because it looks like they used a very intentional style in the art of the game. The character art looks like oil paintings, a bit impressionist (I think)? But I just don't understand why they would decide that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
OchreOgre wrote:
My vote is the card that is supposed to feature the beautiful, nay, intoxicating, Inara Serra.

Currently being portrayed by the hideous she-goblin partially hiding in the dark (and for good reason) as pictured in this game on the Avatar 7 card.

The picture on her rare makes her look like a Sontaran.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
Keep this up and you're going to make the artist(s) for the game cry themselves to sleep when they see this thread. And they were so proud of their published work too.

And their mommies told them it was amazing and even put some on their refrigerator too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
They should feel bad. They should be ashamed. On facebook, reddit and BGG people complain about the artwork. Ratings reach new lows for a Legendary game. People cancel their orders. I love the Legendary system and I hate to see people disappointed by it simply because of the artwork.

1. Better than still images.
2. You rarely look at the art. You play the text.

It will be fine. Keep calm and play on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manu d
Germany
flag msg tools
klkitchens wrote:

1. Better than still images.
2. You rarely look at the art. You play the text.

You play CCGs totally different than me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.