Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Buying FFG's games in English at Spiel 2016? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, just looking for advice.

I am currently planning to acquire FFG's Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. and some more expansions for Descent. I was thinking about perhaps buying them at Essen, to which I have not been before and would like to go this year. I couldn't find too much on this, but do I understand correctly, that these games might be sold at Essen only in German by FFG's German distributor or their number in English might be quite limited and could sell off quickly? Moreover, if indeed there will be few English copies, I assume there won't be much of a discount, especially given FFG's popularity. Are my assumptions going in the right direction?

The thing is that I can hardly get those games where I live and I now have a chance to order them elsewhere and later pick them up, but the window for this is short and I need to decide rather quickly whether it is better for me to use the current opportunity or to hope to get those games at Essen. Also, I am talking about at least 5-6 Descent expansion, so any price differences actually add up quite a bit.

Will really appreciate advice from someone, who's been there and knows the situation regarding FFG's games at the trade fair.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly they don't really sell much English stuff there anymore (they used to have more). Some stuff will be, but yes it will be limited and probably not that cheap.

Essen has become pretty international, so they really need to bring more English stock, but I imagine it is a lot cheaper for them to sell their own German stock than to bring in non-English editions not handled by them (a German company handles FFG stuff there)

Pretty much every other company has plenty of English stuff though.

Essen is good for getting new stuff early, less so for getting cheap old English games (imo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aldinger
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You should probably first make sure you can get the app for the game. Otherwise it's a moot point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
Thanks a bunch for the replies!

I can download the MoM2 app without any problems, didn't know this can be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q ~ Dice Qube
Netherlands
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Heidelberger are located at the entry of the hall.
They always sell a bunch of FFG games, also English.
I am sure you can pick up some copies there!

http://www.heidelbaer.de/dyn/home

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miskong wrote:

I am currently planning to acquire FFG's Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. and some more expansions for Descent.

the german distributor (heidelberger) mainly sells his own localized stuff, they *sometimes* have english leftover stock or some brand new games with no localization yet in low quantities (like imperial assault back then), but if they do it's gone pretty fast - I think IA sold out in the first 10-30 minutes each day.

other booths (from a FLGS) might have english versions, but they usually bring stuff they want to get rid off or stuff they know will sell, and if they do it's in limited quantity. with the current hype of descent and MOM I'd expect it to be gone pretty fast, depending on the price (otoh some vendors which have their store close by, like some dutch stores, might be able to bring in requested games if they resupply each day). either way it would require you to check out all the vendor booths and ask specifically for stuff.

you might have a chance to get MOM 2nd ed since it's new, descent stuff will probably harder to find since there's so much of/it's hyped etc. - I usually try to get english FFG stuff myself too (even tho localized is cheaper :/), but I can't really remember the last time I picked up an english ffg game at essen; either it was easier to just order it online and/or cheaper, and definitely less hassle.

doesn't mean you can't find a good deal, heidelberger also has a big area (with pretty long queue) where they sell off all their higher quantities of stock they want to get rid off - I think you could get gears of war in english for 25€ last year, and the german version of rex was 10€ a few years back.

to finally get to the point shake : I'd order it now, chances are slim you'll find the english ffg stuff you want in essen, if you do it might be more expensive or you end up with no game at all. if you want to pick up games from other companies chances are higher you can get it in english, usually because the english distributor is there as well (like stronghold/plaid hat/etc.), they sell different languages or there is only an english version (next to polish etc. ) - and you can always ask them if they have a booth (ffg doesn't have one, they handle demos/sales via their distributor - at least that's how they did it the last few years).

EDIT: another thing I just remembered: the less games you pick up in essen the less cradboard and plastic you have to haul around the whole day. whistle

Kamakaze wrote:

Essen has become pretty international, so they really need to bring more English stock, but I imagine it is a lot cheaper for them to sell their own German stock than to bring in non-English editions not handled by them (a German company handles FFG stuff there)

FFG doesn't have their own booth in essen - the few ffg people who are there are mainly higher-ups doing business etc., not to sale/demo stuff.
most stuff you can get is from their german distributor, which brings it's own localized version of FFG games since a lot of ppl visiting are german.

have to wait and see how the asmodee thing works out for heidelberger, but judging what asmodee has sold so far they *might* bring english versions (for example you could get the german version of pandemic from pegasus, the english version from asmodee) - expect MSRP or higher tho, asmodee didn't really have convention prices last year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
legray wrote:

FFG doesn't have their own booth in essen - the few ffg people who are there are mainly higher-ups doing business etc., not to sale/demo stuff.
most stuff you can get is from their german distributor, which brings it's own localized version of FFG games since a lot of ppl visiting are german.

I could not agree more with Legray on this one.

Based on previous disappointments, I doubt very much that Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition will be available in English in Essen, specially when it might be available in German already.

Heidelberger will want to sell their German version rather than the English version (I guess their margin is bigger on German versions of the game).

Daniel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.