Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: Magic in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gomez
United States
South Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious, from seeing all the videos and information that have been posted up to now, there doesn't seem to be much, if any magic in the game. However seeing as how this game does have a large book that comes with it, and the character's background and stories are unknown, it is hard to tell how much, if any there may be. I haven't played any of Ryan's other games, so I'm unsure how prevalent it is in his worlds. I'm sure this is inconsequential to most people, but as a personal preference, to me it is not. Hope everyone had a great GenCon!

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread. Expect it to be much the same flavour as Above and Below.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatGomi wrote:
I was curious, from seeing all the videos and information that have been posted up to now, there doesn't seem to be much, if any magic in the game. However seeing as how this game does have a large book that comes with it, and the character's background and stories are unknown, it is hard to tell how much, if any there may be. I haven't played any of Ryan's other games, so I'm unsure how prevalent it is in his worlds. I'm sure this is inconsequential to most people, but as a personal preference, to me it is not. Hope everyone had a great GenCon!

Thanks


I've seen this question pop up a few times. Out of curiosity, how does this impact your enjoyment of a game? Is it a good or a bad thing (to you, personally) if a game's theme includes magic? I feel like I'm lacking a bit of context here, but that could just be me being particularly dense.

Edit: and if you don't want to go into any particular detail, that's fine too...I don't want my question to devolve into a pointless flame war.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayfarer82 wrote:
I've seen this question pop up a few times. Out of curiosity, how does this impact your enjoyment of a game? Is it a good or a bad thing (to you, personally) if a game's theme includes magic? I feel like I'm lacking a bit of context here, but that could just be me being particularly dense.


For me, it doesn't matter. I know some people's faith COULD play a role in how important magic (or the lack thereof) is to their gaming experience.

Magic is a mechanic that requires balance though. I think the usual way to present that balance is that a mage or magician is particularly powerful but physically weak. But Near and Far doesn't appear to get too in -depth with those RPG stats. As a result, magic could be a high reward/low risk avenue. Maybe there is concern regarding that balance? I don't know. I hope OP returns to answer your question.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardedOne wrote:
Wayfarer82 wrote:
I've seen this question pop up a few times. Out of curiosity, how does this impact your enjoyment of a game? Is it a good or a bad thing (to you, personally) if a game's theme includes magic? I feel like I'm lacking a bit of context here, but that could just be me being particularly dense.


For me, it doesn't matter. I know some people's faith COULD play a role in how important magic (or the lack thereof) is to their gaming experience.

Magic is a mechanic that requires balance though. I think the usual way to present that balance is that a mage or magician is particularly powerful but physically weak. But Near and Far doesn't appear to get too in -depth with those RPG stats. As a result, magic could be a high reward/low risk avenue. Maybe there is concern regarding that balance? I don't know. I hope OP returns to answer your question.


I think religious reasons are the most likely reason for wanting to avoid magic in games (I've read quite a few posts where people have given that explanation).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the main characters in Near and Far are magic users, but some magic appears in the storybook (floating/talking statue heads, tea that turns people into rabbits, etc.) For the most part, none of the magic in the game fits the high fantasy wizard/spell model of magic.

Some of the items players can collect (artifacts and treasures) are magical and the 2nd side of the town board (which was unlocked through a stretch goal) includes a "magic track" that changes the game play a bit.

That's the extent of magic in Near and Far. Hope this answer helped.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.