Subject: Illustration for Automa example 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surely missing something, but I can't figure out what: the space with the red character has the number "5" on it, meaning (I think) five other Automa units have this space in their neighborhood. I see a mech in the northeast space, a worker to the right, a mech and a worker to the southeast. Shouldn't the "5" be a "4"? What is it I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the character itself also counts for unit adjacency before movement.
Because a valid move also includes "moving" a unit to the hex it started on

So you have the character, a worker and a mech in the hex below, one worker to the right, and another mech on the hex above, for a total of five units.

Basically the character is already in its own neighborhood.

Edit: For some reason I was looking at this as a movement from the character's point of view and not the worker closest to the homebase, which is what the whole illustration is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evnzro wrote:
I believe the character itself also counts for unit adjacency before movement.
Because a valid move also includes "moving" a unit to the hex it started on.

So you have the character, a worker and a mech in the hex below, one worker to the right, and another mech on the hex above, for a total of five units.

Basically the character is already in its own neighborhood.

Hey, thx for chimming in!

Well, if that's the case, shouldn't say, the mech on the hex above also have "5" on his hex? It has itself, a worker and mech to the right, a worker southeast and the character southwest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are showing adjacent units should the worker move to said space.
That is why you also count the character already in the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:

Well, if that's the case, shouldn't say, the mech on the hex above also have "5" on his hex? It has itself, a worker and mech to the right, a worker southeast and the character southwest.

That´s why there is the "Pick up worker" step before figuring out target hex. At that point you hold the worker in your hand, so the numbers for the spaces around his previous hex are correct.
Then figure out target hex and place the worker there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See my edit above. In my haste to respond I totally ignored which unit was being moved and got hung up on the character's hex.

The numbers are right for a worker movement. And I see now that my comment about self adjacency earlier was off, because when you "pick up" the worker to move it, it no longer influences the number of units adjacent, so only four units are adjacent to the hex with the mech next to the Crimean character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
They are showing adjacent units should the worker move to said space.

That's what I was missing. It's all clear now!

Thx everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:

No and here is why: When calculating a move for the automa, you first determine valid hexes. Then you lift the moving piece off the board before you determine the destination territory. This is what is meant by step 3 of the move worker process, "Pick up the selected worker". The piece that is moving is used to determine "valid hexes" (step 2) but is not used to determine factors for the destination territory (step 4).

So the mech you are referring to has a "4" on it because it has a character to the SW (1), a worker to the SE (2), itself on the hex (3) and a mech to the E (4). At this stage of determining the move the worker to the E (which is the moving worker) is no longer considered on the board, so it is not used to determine "in the neighbourhood of the most units".

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once more thank you to everyone for helping out while I'm catching up on a bazillion threads and emails after 3 weeks of family vacation.

And just to confirm then the answers provided here are spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.