Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Cool Mini or Not was giving away a promo per coupon book at Gen Con and I picked up a Kaosball ringer named The Survivor. I can't find a single mention online of this ringer. Is he extremely rare? The copyright on the bottom of the box is from 2015, so it doesn't sound like he's brand new. Does anyone have any ideas on his history?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Wiblemo
msg tools
Can you post a picture of the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to remember when I get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M (Grey Areas Gaming)
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin, I've never heard of that one!

If you could post a pic of his card I'll add him to the Kaosball teams and Ringers guide:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/130383/kaosball-game-refe...

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was very surprised about that one. I still don't see anything online. Unfortunately I got home late and haven't had a chance to take a photo. I'll try to remember tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMoN don't seem to do any promotion for Kaosball any more - they released a League kit and 8 new Ringers earlier this year with zero promotion - quite odd that they wouldn't mention it anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here you go (sorry for forgetting). I didn't want to open it yet in case it's super rare.

It looks like the card text reads:

If The Survivor would be killed or knocked down, you may instead bench him and replace him with a bruiser or runner (the kill doesn't count).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billy, great work on that guide, by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Kevin - the guide started off as something me and my eldest daughter could refer to when we played (as there were lots of grey areas in the rules I wanted to iron out). In the end the guide naturally grew so much and I decided to include even the teams and Ringers I don't have As I thougth it would be nice to share it with the whole Kaosball community, so I sent it to CMoN so they could give it the seal of approval, which they did, so it's the nearest thing to official as can be!

Thanks for the photo - that's an interesting ability - it's almost like he's related to the Paragons, being benched but in a slightly different way. He can be guaranteed to be on the pitch in all four quarters, which would make planning your strategy for the game in advance a little more concrete.

It would be great if you could open the box and take a photo of the card so I could include him in the guide, but I understand if you'd like to keep him in the plastic wrap because he must be so rare that he may fetch a decent price if you wanted to sell him.

If you'd rather not open the box, could you let me know his two numerical stats from the card please (health and cost) and possibly his little quote at the bottom of the card too (if you can see it) so then I could maybe mock up a card and include him anyway? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would just open him, as I have everything for the game, but for now I want to keep him sealed just in case he's extremely rare. If it helps me pay for my Gen Con trip, I'd have to consider that, although I'm not normally one for selling things on eBay.

I'll see if I can get his stats for you by peeking through the box. It's just an odd situation that his has a 2015 copyright but I can't find a single record of him on the internet and people like you have never heard of him.

And the crazy thing was that the Gen Con coupon book had a 1 point promo coupon that you could take to the booth and redeem (there were a lot of Zombicide promos and maybe some Rum and Bones there on the second day). I thought it meant that you redeem it for the right to buy the promo, but then they told me that it was for a free promo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a bonus getting it for free!
I'm sure some completist would snap him up from you. If you're selling on eBay make sure you start with a high starting bid - you wouldn't want someone grabbing it for $1!

Yeah, have a peek at the stats and let me know, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a completist too, which is a problem with CMON mini games. But if someone threw a ridiculous amount of money at me that would have helped fund my expensive Gen Con hotel room, I don't know what I would do... :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 cost, 1 heart, Billy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Kevin!

I suppose the 1 heart makes sense given his ability and means that if he loses a fighting contest by any amount he will get benched and replaced, but he's potentially a fantastic addition to a team.

I will be proxying him in future matches and will do my usual match reports on BGG. If he comes up I know I'll do my best to draft him as he'd be a bigger to play against!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Wiblemo
msg tools
argentetbury wrote:
Cheers Kevin!

I suppose the 1 heart makes sense given his ability and means that if he loses a fighting contest by any amount he will get benched and replaced, but he's potentially a fantastic addition to a team.

I will be proxying him in future matches and will do my usual match reports on BGG. If he comes up I know I'll do my best to draft him as he'd be a bigger to play against!

I agree Billy, he seems like a rather annoying Ringer to play against. 3 cost is appropriate. On a team with decent stat bonuses most contests become a win/win proposition for the Survivor. The kill not counting is also huge, you are subjecting your own figure to death while the Survivor player knows he can just bench him if he wishes and keep the kill count even if need be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schnell
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billy, I saw one of The Survivors on eBay at $9.99 with free shipping with two days left, in case you are interested in getting one. It wasn't buy it now though, so you'll have to win the bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keschnell wrote:
Billy, I saw one of The Survivors on eBay at $9.99 with free shipping with two days left, in case you are interested in getting one. It wasn't buy it now though, so you'll have to win the bidding.

Cheers for keeping an eye out Kevin but I think I'll be ok proxying him for now as I proxy most of the Ringers anyway (I have the 8 that come with the game plus my daughter has Biru Biru).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiblemza wrote:
I agree Billy, he seems like a rather annoying Ringer to play against. 3 cost is appropriate. On a team with decent stat bonuses most contests become a win/win proposition for the Survivor. The kill not counting is also huge, you are subjecting your own figure to death while the Survivor player knows he can just bench him if he wishes and keep the kill count even if need be.

Yeah Zack, he's a beast! He could really tip the game in his team's favour. I'd be interested to see if he isn't actually overpowered in practice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Wiblemo
msg tools
argentetbury wrote:
Wiblemza wrote:

Yeah Zack, he's a beast! He could really tip the game in his team's favour. I'd be interested to see if he isn't actually overpowered in practice...

Billy,

Just had an exhibition game with a friend of mine. I actually snagged Endorsement so I was able to field Tycho with the Survivor. He was great for making risky plays that I normally wouldn't attempt, and I threw him in to a bunch of contests knowing full well that I didn't really care for the outcome as long as it got my opponent to use a high value card. Definitely worth the 5 Cash I paid ended up paying for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Zack, did you win the match in the end?
Plus what team were you? (And which team was your mate?)

Also, is there any chance you could take a photo of the Survivor's card so I can include him in the next iteration of the Teams and Ringers guide? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Wiblemo
msg tools
argentetbury wrote:

Also, is there any chance you could take a photo of the Survivor's card so I can include him in the next iteration of the Teams and Ringers guide? Thanks

I was the Zombies, my favorite team, and my friend was the Pirates. I ended up winning by a slight margin, can't remember the score but it was tightly contested. He had Gojira and that made it tough going for my players, but the Survivor actually managed two major scoring mound scores near the end to tilt the game in my favor. Definitely worthy of the man of the match award.

I will certainly do that for you. I'll shoot you a private message and we can work out the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the Zombies, but my daughter loves the Pirates.
And somehow Gojira never shows up for us in the Ringer draft - I'd love to have a go with him!

Sounds like the Survivor made the difference - yeah, give me a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I hope henis not just a convention exclusive. Hoping he might be r retailer exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gosot
msg tools
mbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:

Do you plan to post the next iteration soon? Only this particular ringer seems to be missing tho'...

Also, great job on the guide, keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike.

Yes, I have the next iteration pretty much ready - I had a few minor alterations here and there, plus the Survivor and a change to Apocalype.

I'll make sure I get it finalised and uploaded this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.