5 Posts

Quartermaster General – Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reactions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
taus møller
Denmark
flag msg tools
I have a few questions with regards to reactions. I haven't received my game yet, so it is possible that i am missing some context from the cards.

1. Who gets to react first? The rules state:

Quote:
"If a team has multiple reactions to the same trigger, only one is used at a time. Then the other team can use a reaction. A team with multiple reactions to the same trigger can use them in the order it chooses, as long as the other team has a chance to use a reaction in between."

This seems to imply that both teams can have reaction to the same trigger and that they should take turns activating triggers. But who gets to go first?

2. The last point in the reaction section is:

Quote:
"If you do not use any of your reactions to a particular trigger, you can’t later react upon seeing further reactions to the same trigger."

I can't quite figure out how this plays. The way i read it is that once you have turned down chance to play a reaction to a trigger, i.e. before or between reactions from the opposing team, you cannot later choose to play a reaction to that trigger. I'll try to illustrate it with an example:

1. Trigger happens
2. Team 1 declines to play a reaction
3. Team 2 plays a reaction
4. Team 1 not allowed to play a reaction due to this rule
5. Team 2 plays another reaction

If this is the correct interpretation we return to the question of who has to react first. In the example above team 2 would know when playing their first reaction that they will be able to play the second reaction unobstructed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Reations
Quote:
"If a team has multiple reactions to the same trigger, only one is used at a time. Then the other team can use a reaction."

This is worded a bit confusingly, because it implies that the triggering team gets the first opportunity to react to its own trigger. AFAIK, that is not the case. Opposing team gets first dibs:

Team A plays a card (trigger).
Team B gets the first opportunity to react.
Then Team A can react.
And so on.

In your example above, step 4, Team 1 would no longer be allowed to play a reaction to the initial trigger (since it declined to do so in step 2), but could react to Team 2's reaction to that initial trigger.

So each reaction to a trigger offers another opportunity for the other team to react!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taus møller
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thank you. It would make sense if the opposing team gets the first chance to react. I'll just go with this unless Ian says something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is the case. The opposing team goes first. I have to review the rulebook to see where things went wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taus møller
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thank you for confirming. It very cool that you are so active on the forums in clearing up things like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.