$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Colony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of the activation of 'on building' and 'on upgrading' abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I just downloaded the rules for Colony and had a read. I had couple of questions on the timing of 'when built' and 'when upgraded' abilities.

I understand from the rules that you cannot activate a building on the turn that you build it. So I wondered, where a card has a 'when built' ability, is that ability applied during Phase 3: Activation (when you bought the card), or Phase 4: Clean Up (when you add the card into your Colony).

Similarly, same question about 'when upgraded' abilities on cards. Are they applied during Phase 3, or Phase 4?

Thanks,
Tina.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmb
The When Built happens as soon as the card is acquired from the supply (the same time as when the resources you used to build it are placed in the supply).

Because Upgrading is an action that can be done anytime during the Activation phase, that result happens as soon as the resources are paid into the supply and the card is flipped over.

This is important for the Scrap Shack, as it allows you to use the newly-gained resource to build (or upgrade) after it has been upgraded/build.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit...it's one of those things that makes a little more sense with the cards in front of you, I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ted!

And presumably if you Upgrade a building that you already tapped this turn, you still get to apply the 'When upgraded' ability of the 2.0 version, even if you can't apply the regular ability of the 2.0 version until your next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
And presumably if you Upgrade a building that you already tapped this turn, you still get to apply the 'When upgraded' ability of the 2.0 version, even if you can't apply the regular ability of the 2.0 version until your next turn?

Yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.