Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have watched every video I can get my hands on and I have one burning question ... Seems like there are so many more benefits to capturing troops over killing them ... (Points every round, & worse yet your opponent losses that troop till he "buys" it back ... Why kill anyone over the benefit of capturing them??
I assume I am just missing something from a strategy stand point ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
consider a situation with 10 guys vs 10 guys.

If you put all your guys on capture, you will capture 1 enemy soldier which will net you 1 point per turn (assuming they dont pay to free him).

If you put all your 10 guys on kill, you will get 10 points, 1 for each guy you kill.

So there is a ceiling on how much you can gain from capturing prisoners where killing is limitless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
consider a situation with 10 guys vs 10 guys.

If you put all your guys on capture, you will capture 1 enemy soldier which will net you 1 point per turn (assuming they dont pay to free him).

If you put all your 10 guys on kill, you will get 10 points, 1 for each guy you kill.

So there is a ceiling on how much you can gain from capturing prisoners where killing is limitless

Christian has it right. But, I want to add, that if you can't win the capture the objective, then you can at least still get points by killing a few of their guys.

But, if you're ever choosing between capturing 1 guy and killing 1 guy, then you're right. You should always choose capture 1 guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it !!! Thanks !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The attrition has a long term efficiency hit to them. If you kill their Units, and there aren't discovery tokens to get new free ones (potentially), then need to:

a.) spend actions to recruit
b.) spend actions to move

Plus, if you're manipulating the turn order track, you can move BACK into the region sooner to attack a very small force. If scoring wasn't enabled the previous round, sure, give them 2 points, and have an easy time re-taking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that I usually prefer kill over capture. With capture, you can MAYBE get 5 points at most per captured unit and you can only capture one in a battle. Then again, you can play less than 5 rounds and opponents can quickly buy them out anyway. And on top of that, capturing is mostly beneficial in first 1-2 rounds (better theoretical yield).

That said, capturing is beneficial mostly for the purpose of even another way of manipulating the field. You can capture the only single unit that won region control - yes, opponent will retain control, but it's an empty territory and it has perks of its own. You can capture preemptively, if the order is reveresed, which can lead to a tie or even win on region control. You can capture from attrition, decreasing loss and VP gain for your opponent. It's a short-term strategy option in my mind. Quite handy if you're after certain results, but not necessarily a good option when it comes for direct VP calculations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I've found that I usually prefer kill over capture. With capture, you can MAYBE get 5 points at most per captured unit and you can only capture one in a battle. Then again, you can play less than 5 rounds and opponents can quickly buy them out anyway. And on top of that, capturing is mostly beneficial in first 1-2 rounds (better theoretical yield).

That said, capturing is beneficial mostly for the purpose of even another way of manipulating the field. You can capture the only single unit that won region control - yes, opponent will retain control, but it's an empty territory and it has perks of its own. You can capture preemptively, if the order is reveresed, which can lead to a tie or even win on region control. You can capture from attrition, decreasing loss and VP gain for your opponent. It's a short-term strategy option in my mind. Quite handy if you're after certain results, but not necessarily a good option when it comes for direct VP calculations.

Killing also works well with a Machine skill - 2 VP per kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.