$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
$5.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Flick 'em Up!» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone tried with 10 players? Views? Advice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there

Apologies if anyone has already seen this message. I tried posting it in an existing thread dealing with player count, but no feedback as of yet so thought I'd try my luck in a new post.

I will taking part in a 10-person game night in a couple of weeks. We will probably split into two tables for most of the night, but we want to come together to play one or two games together at the beginning/end.

I'd be very interested in any opinions/experience of how Flick 'em Up plays with 10 people.

My concern is downtime between turns (I know turns are fast, but 10 is a lot of people!) and game length.

Any comments on playing with 10ppl and good scenarios much appreciated! (I have the Stallion Canyon expansion if that's relevant.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
It's going to be long and downtime is going to make the game feel like it's dragging out. I have the same issue with Pitchcar but at least in that game you can have half the team start on the opposite side of the map and act simultaneously. There isn't a clean way to do this in Flick em Up. Unless....

You do the scenario idea of two tables that can only be crossed back and forth from the canyon piece (I don't remember which scenario that is). Then you run each table simultaneously and say that each table can have a maximum of 3 players from each side. That should foster communication between the two table teams and speed up the downtime. Also, don't rotate the turn order- each player should control the same cowboy for the entire game.

Since player elimination can really wreck the mood, have cowboys come back with reduced health or something. I don't remember the win conditions of that scenario so maybe modify it to a "kill em all" scenario where the team that has at least one kill on each opposing cowboy wins. I'm sure you'll find a balance or mod that will work for you group but those are some ideas.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Heiser
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we tried it with 10 and it went over like a lead balloon. It's overlong, filled with down time, and nobody quite feels like they get to "do enough". I'd recommend something else for 10.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 is just too many players. I had a hard enough time keeping everyone's attention with 6 players. I would guess your base game would last about 1.5 hours at 10 optimally but more likely 2 hours of "what it's my turn?" I think once you get 10 it's going to be a party game like Telistrations, Double Happy Salmon, Catch Phrase, Panic on Wall Street!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
We've played with 10, and it isn't much of a game at that point, since everyone spends 90% of their time sitting around talking, and not playing.

I feel like this is a great 2-4 player game, but more than that, and it really loses something. It's unfortunate, since I bought it to use for larger groups at game night, but it never gets pulled out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
It's going to be long and downtime is going to make the game feel like it's dragging out. I have the same issue with Pitchcar but at least in that game you can have half the team start on the opposite side of the map and act simultaneously. There isn't a clean way to do this in Flick em Up. Unless....

You do the scenario idea of two tables that can only be crossed back and forth from the canyon piece (I don't remember which scenario that is). Then you run each table simultaneously and say that each table can have a maximum of 3 players from each side. That should foster communication between the two table teams and speed up the downtime. Also, don't rotate the turn order- each player should control the same cowboy for the entire game.

Since player elimination can really wreck the mood, have cowboys come back with reduced health or something. I don't remember the win conditions of that scenario so maybe modify it to a "kill em all" scenario where the team that has at least one kill on each opposing cowboy wins. I'm sure you'll find a balance or mod that will work for you group but those are some ideas.


Thanks Christian for your thoughts and very helpful suggestions. Going on your comments and those of other respondents, it seems Flick 'em Up might be a 'pass' with more than 6. But I am definitely curious to try out the two-table Canyon suggestion! I'm going to look up the scenario you mention and will give it a test run on a day when we have fewer players. Cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:
Yes, we tried it with 10 and it went over like a lead balloon. It's overlong, filled with down time, and nobody quite feels like they get to "do enough". I'd recommend something else for 10.


Thanks Mandy. I suspected as much but was hoping that I was wrong!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
We've played with 10, and it isn't much of a game at that point, since everyone spends 90% of their time sitting around talking, and not playing.

I feel like this is a great 2-4 player game, but more than that, and it really loses something. It's unfortunate, since I bought it to use for larger groups at game night, but it never gets pulled out.


Thanks Mark. Great to get a first-hand perspective. Party games it is then. Maybe I'll take it along for when we split into two groups - but plenty of good options for 4-5 players!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
fsnam wrote:
10 is just too many players. I had a hard enough time keeping everyone's attention with 6 players. I would guess your base game would last about 1.5 hours at 10 optimally but more likely 2 hours of "what it's my turn?" I think once you get 10 it's going to be a party game like Telistrations, Double Happy Salmon, Catch Phrase, Panic on Wall Street!


Thanks Scott. Yes - as fun as the game is, I don't think a 2-hour session of Flick em' Up is anyone's idea of a good time! As you suggest, might be better to stick to those more tried-and-true party-style games with 10. I wish I had a copy of Panic on Wall Street! (Although I guess it wouldn't be 'too' difficult to make a 'D-I-M' version...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
Maple Ridge
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the atmosphere..... I hold a yearly games weekend up at a cabin with a bunch of my buddies and we played a 10 player game of Flick em Up last year and it went over great. But it's a very relaxed environment with drinking and such and we play it after other intense games so everyone's glad for the break.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
Hong Kong
msg tools
mbmbmb
Davidsprints wrote:
It really depends on the atmosphere..... I hold a yearly games weekend up at a cabin with a bunch of my buddies and we played a 10 player game of Flick em Up last year and it went over great. But it's a very relaxed environment with drinking and such and we play it after other intense games so everyone's glad for the break.


Thanks David - good to get a variety of perspectives. Perhaps a few beers is the best way to play this with a large group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mucitelli
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just played a 10 person game, and if it's a social atmosphere and you're looking for fun? It's a blast. Yea you have downtime when you're not shooting but you use that time to strategize team movements and cheer each other on. If you're OK being goofy and yelling in western bandit accents, then it's a hoot!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dodson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game does not have player elimination, just cowboy elimination. Cowboys are not assigned to the players. When cowboys are eliminated, the players all still take turns to play a cowboy. This is brilliant design, though for some reason, it's difficult to grasp in the rules. But, it IS in the rules.

Regarding player focus: The game design encourages player involvement as a team no matter the number of players. Because players may choose any available cowboy to play (other than the cowboy with initiative), it fosters strategic discussion. The scenarios would prove difficult, if not impossible, otherwise.

Play length: Stratagem has cut down on play length also in our experience, as more efficient player turns effectuate game ends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.