BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking to add a Hidden Movement game to the collection... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Bussmann

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
As the title says, I am looking to add a hidden movement game to my collection. Here are some criteria that I am looking the game to have:

-Scales well from 2-5/6 players (especially 2 since it will mostly be my g/f and I)
-Some player interaction
-Less than 2 hours

Currently I am considering Letters from Whitechapel, The Last Friday, and Fury of Dracula, but am having a hard time deciding. Any information/advice you can give is appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
CBUSS03 wrote:
As the title says, I am looking to add a hidden movement game to my collection. Here are some criteria that I am looking the game to have:

-Scales well from 2-5/6 players (especially 2 since it will mostly be my g/f and I)
-Some player interaction
-Less than 2 hours

Currently I am considering Letters from Whitechapel, The Last Friday, and Fury of Dracula, but am having a hard time deciding. Any information/advice you can give is appreciated.

Thanks!

I just traded away Whitechapel and kept Fury of Dracula -- but I like vampires and gearing up for fighting them.

I've not played The Last Friday, but I'm going to look it up now.

Oh, Dracula feels like it has more player interaction, to be sure. Whitechapel is more of the pure chase, but Dracula manipulates that in a lot of ways.

Also, there's always Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game (or Sails of Glory if you're inclined like I am.) But if you want a strict hunting game, you don't want these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I have only played LfW and FoD (note: FoD does not play 6 players) from your list, and both will easily go over the 2 hour mark.

If you're playing 2-players primarily, between those two I would heavily recommend LfW over FoD IF you're looking for a concentration-heavy game. For my own tastes, if I'm the investigator I only want to play LfW 1-on-1, for FoD I would NOT want to play 1-on-1. The difference is that LfW is more "pure" deduction and a head-to-head battle where you must take notes, while FoD has more swings, special powers, more fiddliness etc which makes it more difficult to play multiple characters (you have to have all four hunters in play).

FoD might win in terms of being more "fun", but LfW was more to my taste in what I wanted in a deductive, hidden movement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just came across this game Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space thanks to a friend's recommendation. I bought the pnp version from their site so thats a cheap option if your willing to make it yourself. He vouched for it being good with 2 and goes up to 8 and I think it would work well no matter the number. Its a cat and mouse game where theirs humans and aliens but your on your own ether running away or chasing after pray. Its simple enough to keep the game moving plus everyone is essentially taking their turn at the same time. (yeah I know so helpful adding another game to consider, but hey it might be worth it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
I looooove hidden movement!

While I'm inclined to always recommend FoD(2nd Edition), I would not rec it with 2p. One thing that makes hidden movement great, is other players can work together and develop a plan of attack against the odd man out. That's lost with 2p. So here are some thoughts.

For 2p, I'd recommend Android: Netrunner instead of an actual hidden movement game. It's asymmetrical and has that "cat-n-mouse", out think and trap each other feel, but is amazing for 2.

For 3-4, I guess I'd recommend Specter Ops. I has more interaction than Whitechapel and is a solid game. It doesn't give the hunted the chance to become the hunter. For that...

Play Fury of Dracula (second edition) with 5. Some will say to play 3rd edition, and if you've never played either, they might be right. But I learned 2nd inside and out and felt that it completely lost something special with the reprint. It's the only hidden movement game I've played where the hunted can become the hunter, and that's an amazing twist for the genre.

Just buy all 3 and you'll be safe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

So Fury of Dracula is a great game (I have the third, most recent, edition), however I'd say it would probably be pushing towards the 2 hour mark, if not crossing it. I would say that (like all hidden movement games) there is always the chance of finding the target real quick and the game ending quickly, but thats not the usual case. Depending on how AP prone your players are, and if they have played before Fury is definitely a 2+ hour game. It works best at 5 (Dracula and 4 hunters) and below that the hunters just have to start playing multiple characters. So 4 is fine, and 3 is minimum. You can play with 2 but its very unwieldy trying to play 4 characters at once. I find on this one being Dracula can sometimes be a bit slow. If you're not near the hunters, and they haven't found your trail then your go takes about 30 seconds, its only when they cross your trail things start to get interesting and you have player interaction.

I would also like to suggest Specter Ops by Plaid Hat Games. The theme is a dystopian future where a large corporation has been doing human experiments and basically runs the world (fun fact, its set in the same world as Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game!). There is a group of rebels who want to take them down. So one person plays as an agent sneaking into the facility to destroy 3 out of 4 objectives, while the remaining players are hunters trying to stop them. Personally I love this theme, and the artwork and graphic design is amazing (just check out the game page). All of the characters, hunters and agents, have a special power making them each individual. There is also a selection of equipment that the agent can choose from, adding to the element of surprise. The game scales well as following:

2 players: 1 agent, 2 hunters (controlled by one player)
3 players: 1 agent, 2 hunters (controlled one per player)
4 players: 1 agent, 3 hunters (controlled one per player)
5 players: 1 agent, 4 hunters (controlled one per player, one is a double agent).

At four players the agent has an extra life, the objectives are hidden (in 2 and 3 player they are hidden) and there is an extra exit.

At five players one of the hunters is chosen by the agent player to be a double agent. They do what they can to help the agent escape, but can reveal themselves (or be revealed) during the game. At which point they become an agent.

The game uses the traditional pad of paper for the hidden agent, however there is soon to be an app (GenCon preview found here) which will replace the pad of paper. Seriously have a look at that preview video, it looks immense. It will also help with rules errata and easily forgotten bits.

Out of these two games I would recommend Specter Ops over Fury of Dracula but its a close run thing.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah I forgot about Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space (most annoyingly titled game ever...)

I absolutely love this game as it feels quite different to the others I've played in that everyone is hidden. The group is split in half aliens and humans (with aliens increasing for odd numbers). However no one knows who any else is. You all have a copy of the same dry erase map, and on your turn you make a move and announce (or not) based on what sort of tile you land on - either no noise, or noise in a sector. Add in optional cards with items and character abilities and this game is great. I've played it once with 8 and it was great, and once with 4 and it was a little flat, but I think that was because we were all very new to the game. There is a number of different sized maps (some smaller making it harder, some larger making it easier - potentially...) adding to the variability and replay value. I'm hoping to get this to the table again tonight, absolutely love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
All three, one at a time if you have to. They all play different and feel different.

Strangely, the favorite hidden movement game among the men of my meetup group is Nuns on the Run. Go figure. It's a great game, but the theme is definitely on the unusual side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Since a few have mentioned Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, I'll add my two cents: this game fell really flat for me and my group (WITH the caveat that I am not good at explaining rules, so there was some confusion). I think this game heavily, heavily relies on your group being into thematic games, where the story of the game unfolding can be more important than trying to win. For me, a non-thematic gamer, the actual mechanics and rules of the game are kind of loose and non-intuitive. While I still have hopes for it and still really like the overall concept, I think I'm going to have to houserule a LOT of stuff. Definitely read the actual rules, not just an overview, before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Since a few have mentioned Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, I'll add my two cents: this game fell really flat for me and my group (WITH the caveat that I am not good at explaining rules, so there was some confusion). I think this game heavily, heavily relies on your group being into thematic games, where the story of the game unfolding can be more important than trying to win. For me, a non-thematic gamer, the actual mechanics and rules of the game are kind of loose and non-intuitive. While I still have hopes for it and still really like the overall concept, I think I'm going to have to houserule a LOT of stuff. Definitely read the actual rules, not just an overview, before you buy.

After playing it twice, Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space fell flat for my game group as well. The theme fell flat as well, since the game play is so abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:

After playing it twice, Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space fell flat for my game group as well. The theme fell flat as well, since the game play is so abstract.

Ah thats a shame to hear! It went down very well with my group, but we are able to have a lot of "banter" (for want of a better word) when playing this sort of game. We usual start off the evening with a quick(ish), fun game with larger player count while waiting for people to arrive and this fit perfectly. I do definitely understand the comments about it being abstract, but there was still a lot of tension and laughter (especially when one alien attacked another...). We have houseruled not using the cards for seeing if the escape hatch works, and instead have just said each one can only be used one (which makes more sense thematically).

Anyway I shouldn't get OT and fixed on one game, but it is also good to get both opinions on the game. Hope this all helps the OP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too recommend Specter Ops. It really is the only one that scales to 2-players well. When the app comes out it might also work even better for you.

I've played Fury of Dracula with 2 players, but it is LONG and the hunter has to play all 4 characters which means that player will take 8 turns before Dracula gets to do anything! (Still, I will play it 2-player)

Also maybe thing of getting Scotland Yard on your mobile device. It is a good game and plays well with two and some AIs.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.