Subject: Kickstarter Received rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy in the mail this morning. Production value is off the charts on the new maps and the scenario cards.

The only quibble I have is the Battle Manual. I did not read into it and it does look like it's packed with quality material from the designer notes to extra scenarios, but the print quality on images in it is like of the inkjet printer at very low dpi.

This is not something which will spoil the game in any shape or form, but it is detracting from the otherwise outstanding quality of the package.

If we exclude the Battle Manual, production value on this new edition is pure 10 out of 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon further examination I noticed something, and I'm not sure it there might be an error or not.

Band of Brothers back of the box says that game comes in with 3 counter sheets. Upon opening the box I did notice 3 counter sheets.

Counter sheet #2 with units, counter sheet #3 with units, and countersheet with information markers (no number on it). There is no countersheet with #1 on it.

Ghost Panzer back of the box also says 3 counter sheets, but the case is different in the box. This came in with unit countersheets number #1 thru #3 and countersheet of information markers (no number). Total 4.

Lastly Texas Arrows say 3 counter sheets and have unit counter sheets number #1 thru #3, but no countersheet with information markers on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
Lastly Texas Arrows say 3 counter sheets and have unit counter sheets number #1 thru #3, but no countersheet with information markers on it.

Since TA is an expansion for SE, I would think that TA only has new units, not (redundant) info markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ahmedhadzi wrote:

Since TA is an expansion for SE, I would think that TA only has new units, not (redundant) info markers.

I assumed so, but I'm just confused with Screaming Eagles and mystery of missing counter sheet with #1 on it. I assume it's all there, but just inconsistent with other two boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
russ wrote:
ahmedhadzi wrote:

I assumed so, but I'm just confused with Screaming Eagles and mystery of missing counter sheet with #1 on it. I assume it's all there, but just inconsistent with other two boxes.

Hi Ahmed,

I did the new countersheets for Texas Arrows and revised the countersheets for Screaming Eagles. I have an idea of what may have happened here but instead of taking a guess and putting my foot in my mouth, I've brought your question to the attention of Jim Krohn. I'm sure he or a Worthington Games representative will be along shortly to answer your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you describe, I think you are okay. Your games should include:

Screaming Eagles:
Counter Sheet #2 - American Paras and assorted Germans
Counter Sheet #3 - Foxholes, Americans, Germans, some bonus Russians
Standard Counter Sheet of informational counters

Texas Arrows:
Counter Sheet #1 - American non-paras, some German, fortified

+ this printing has the new, upgraded counters to replace the original SE counter sheets with the old proficiency from the first printing

Counter Sheet #2 - American Paras and assorted Germans
Counter Sheet #3 - Foxholes, Americans, Germans, some bonus Russians

This way someone who did not want the upgraded maps could just buy TA and be able to play the original SE scenarios with the current proficiency system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the first editions of SE and GP were both saddled with partial counter sheets. For both of them, with the remastered editions, they both were expanded out to full size sheets - hence the extra counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came today as well. Looks great. Looks like I'll be using the trays for some other games as they don't really serve this game that well, in my opinion. Just not enough separate compartments. But they are nicely made. Maybe I'll use them in some of Worthingtons block games. Should be good for those.

I also noticed, like the OP, that the images they used for the various counters in the Battle Manual are very low dpi. Doesn't take away from the Great content, but thought it was odd.

Anyway, I have Screaming Eagles punched and all the counters clipped and plan to play tonight. Having sold my copies of SE and GP back in October I need to refresh myself on the system. And by the way, the rules look great from a quick skim through.

Edit: I've changed my mind about the trays. After a bit of tinkering, and seeing some modifications others had done with Conflict of Heroes, I'm learning to love the trays (I think). But it has taken a fair amount of "arts and crafts" work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine today as well. The boxes are huge and nice (and even include new game smell). For me, the icing on the cake is the scenario cards--pretty please include somehow with all additional expansions cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I also noticed, like the OP, that the images they used for the various counters in the Battle Manual are very low dpi. Doesn't take away from the Great content, but thought it was odd.

This was not intentional. Something happened after it was proofed in the final creation of the pdf - I think. Frustrating, I know.

I do hope you like the content. I added quite a bit of stuff about early decisions made and not made.

Quote:
For me, the icing on the cake is the scenario cards--pretty please include somehow with all additional expansions

Josh, I will be asking them to make them either a stretch goal or an add on or something in future modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:

This was not intentional. Something happened after it was proofed in the final creation of the pdf - I think. Frustrating, I know.

The extra scenarios at the back of the manual have normal graphics. But designer notes section doesn't.

It's a minor minor issue in my opinion. Great package Jim! Thank you for your clarification earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Series Game Unboxings
Kickstarter Bundle: https://youtu.be/sNhnuJaBmeQ
Screaming Eagles: https://youtu.be/tHWzsBHN3qk
Ghost Panzer: https://youtu.be/ZZcKtKFAz-o
Texas Arrows: https://youtu.be/7J4UhA4JPQk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I posted earlier, it has been almost a year since I've played this game (because I sold my copies of SE and GP back in October). Since the new version of the rules are sort of all-inclusive and reformatted, I figured I would just approach this as a new game.

So I played through the SE learning scenario. It's certainly no big battle, just trying to move some units across a bridge to capture a building. But as I was playing I was once again reminded of why I love this system so much. It just FEELS so right in terms of what must be done to meet your objectives. Move into position, pour on the suppressing fire, advance and take the position.

The one optional rule I haven't tried yet but think I may be adding soon is the sustained fire. I've never used the flanking rules as the game sort of already encourages you to flank, and provides a benefit for doing it. But first I want to work my way through all the scenarios once again, plus I think there are a couple, especially in Ghost Panzer, I've never played. So sorry Texas Arrows, but you'll have to wait a little bit to feel the love.

Any way, very happy to have this game back on my shelf.

I've read or skimmed most of the Battle Manual, and there is some great stuff in there. Some of it I've read before (most of the designer notes), but there is also plenty of new material not only about the development history of the game, but about each of the units in the game, plus some great quotes from a variety of books. Well worth the read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:

Edit: I've changed my mind about the trays. After a bit of tinkering, and seeing some modifications others had done with Conflict of Heroes, I'm learning to love the trays (I think). But it has taken a fair amount of "arts and crafts" work.

Could you tell / show us what you did with the trays? They don't look like what I'd hoped for, and I'd like to see whether I want to order some GMT trays.

thanks
andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andyskinner wrote:
jbbnbsmith wrote:

Could you tell / show us what you did with the trays? They don't look like what I'd hoped for, and I'd like to see whether I want to order some GMT trays.

thanks
andy

If it's my CoH mod he's referring to...

CoH Insert Dividers by Ones Upon a Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my package today, since I'm still in the process of unboxing The Others and the 12 boxes I got from that this will be on the back burner a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Files will be uploaded later today or tomorrow.

3 Sheets of cardstock, scissors and some glue and voila... a section divided into 10 compartments to better sort your counters.

And you can use cotton balls or a piece of packing peanut as a filler for sections with smaller numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remo williams
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just found my large package outside and it's packed to the brim with goodies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for mine, but since Canada Post gets involved once it crosses the border that may be the state of affairs for a while longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Files will be uploaded later today or tomorrow.

3 Sheets of cardstock, scissors and some glue and voila... a section divided into 10 compartments to better sort your counters.

And you can use cotton balls or a piece of packing peanut as a filler for sections with smaller numbers.

Files uploaded pending moderation. Went ahead and subdivided the compartments to give 20 per insert and 40 per counter tray. This solves the issue for the most part with counters falling over when you take a few out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived in California yesterday. It's a beautiful package. I'm super pleased with the finish on the counters and the thickness of the mounted maps. The new art is grand.

Also really happy with the Battle Manual, even if my quote has the wrong last name . I figure since my BGG account no longer shows a last name they just made one up laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. That would be on me. I actually didn't make that up. There is a Kyle Koskinen that I have contact with and I must have mixed up the quote and the Kyles. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! No worries, I got a kick out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Still waiting for mine, but since Canada Post gets involved once it crosses the border that may be the state of affairs for a while longer.

Darn it, didn't even think about that. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, are you now using both the (newly) divided big section and the counter bins around the edges? Are you benefiting from this tray, or just turning it into something else? I'm guessing your divided box only contains some of the markers, and the rest go around the long containers on the edges.

I'm not sure that that much construction is better than using a GMT tray. I haven't looked to see if those fit in the box.

Because I think the game map gets crowded, I made smaller markers:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1039571/made-my-own-smal...

I'll need a way to sort those.

I also used to use decoys differently, using a concealed marker with a letter on the back instead of a unit covered with a concealed marker. (I used the blank counters from the last version and glued a concealed marker face from the files section to the top.) I have not tried the new version with the decoys with fake info, but I like not having to stack the unit and marker. But that would be another thing to think about as I plan storage.

andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.