Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard (I think in a preview) that the Game of Thrones version will have each person not involved in the conflict decide if and where to ally, and then is offense and defense that accept or decline the offer.

Do you think this is applicable to Cosmic as well? Will it change much in terms of speed or mental "tricks"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic is great the way it is - no reason to rewrite rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain powers won't work with rules adjustments. Timing is the only constant in Cosmic, and when you mess with it (without an alien power) things won't work.

Off the top of my head is the "Party Animal" (?) who does something if he's not invited..I'm sure there's more. I look forward to GoT, but I don't plan on implementing its rules changed in Cosmic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With some sets of aliens, it would be possible to play this way. However, quite a few aliens are designed to, shall we say, encourage the main players to invite them as allies. You would need to work out how to handle such aliens without completely changing them.

First, you would need to tweak the Iron Throne method by having the potential ally ask one main player first. If that main player declines, the ally can then ask the other main player. Aliens that get a boost if they are not invited could do their thing if both main players decline the ally.

Cosmic is very amenable to tweaking in this way. In fact, changing how alliance invitations are issued and accepted is fertile ground for new variants. It's just not as drop-dead easy as creating new aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:

... you're joking, right? One of the wonderful things about Cosmic is how hackable it is. It's so easy to come up with new variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
With some sets of aliens, it would be possible to play this way. However, quite a few aliens are designed to, shall we say, encourage the main players to invite them as allies. You would need to work out how to handle such aliens without completely changing them.

First, you would need to tweak the Iron Throne method by having the potential ally ask one main player first. If that main player declines, the ally can then ask the other main player. Aliens that get a boost if they are not invited could do their thing if both main players decline the ally.

Cosmic is very amenable to tweaking in this way. In fact, changing how alliance invitations are issued and accepted is fertile ground for new variants. It's just not as drop-dead easy as creating new aliens.

The powers could be altered so that e.g. if there was a penalty for a player for not inviting you, the penalty instead applies to a player who doesn't accept your offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
alenen wrote:

... you're joking, right? One of the wonderful things about Cosmic is how hackable it is. It's so easy to come up with new variants.

I guess I see the basic framework of Cosmic as not needing a change. If there were an Alien power that changed the order, that would be one thing but rewriting the basic rules changes the system. It would be like if suddenly any race could pick who they attacked on offense. No need to change the framework, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:
Asmor wrote:
alenen wrote:

I guess I see the basic framework of Cosmic as not needing a change. If there were an Alien power that changed the order, that would be one thing but rewriting the basic rules changes the system. It would be like if suddenly any race could pick who they attacked on offense. No need to change the framework, IMO.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I don't really see this as all that huge of a change. Then again, I also play with a variant where allies declare their support simultaneously (by selecting cards that choose which side and how many ships), so I'm already quite comfortable with the idea of changing how the alliance phase works.

It certainly doesn't seem like as big of a change as, say, hidden powers or double powers, which are both very popular variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
alenen wrote:
Asmor wrote:
alenen wrote:

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I don't really see this as all that huge of a change. Then again, I also play with a variant where allies declare their support simultaneously (by selecting cards that choose which side and how many ships), so I'm already quite comfortable with the idea of changing how the alliance phase works.

It certainly doesn't seem like as big of a change as, say, hidden powers or double powers, which are both very popular variants.

I suppose that's a good point too - we end up asking both offense and defense who they invite, in no particular order, and then people just throw in ships where they're invited/choose to ally.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the GOT retheme of Cosmic... Cosmic needs no retheming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Throne is much more than a retheme; it's a new game built on a similar foundation. Just like Dune was back in the '80s, but more of Cosmic's base mechanics carried over in Iron Throne than in Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Asmor wrote:
alenen wrote:

I would say Cosmic Encounter is easily hackable so long as you are getting all the essential rules correct, which I would count alliance rules among.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.